Cookie-Cutter Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
    Sorry I have no idea I just googled some pics real fast, does anyone else know?
    I doubt it because the club level is finished all the way to the large scoreboard and the centerfield seats cover up with the tarp were added well after the upper deck was added in 1971 and I do not believe those things were considered at that time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelt View Post
      Here is the Big Red Machine in Riverfront. Wow, what a team that was!

Had to be the best team that I ever saw in person.
      I saw some great Dodger, Pirate and Yankee teams in the mid to late 70s and the Orioles and Royals were pretty good too but the 1976-77 Reds were killers.
      When they came to Wrigley I would always go to at least two of the games from the series and sometimes all of them.

Hated their ballpark though.
      I hated all the cookie cutters. What a bad era of stadium design that was.

Comment

• Originally posted by bnbusser View Post
        Here is a slideshow from my site I did on RFK.....
        http://www.ballparks.phanfare.com/2414392
        Thanks for sharing bnbusser. Love those Redskins game pics from 1991, what a year that was for us.

Glad you included pics of the turnstiles. Seems like many of the cookie cutters had the same model of Perry turnstiles. I remember seeing them in Fulton County, Busch 2.0 and Riverfront.
        Last edited by RfkFedEx; 07-27-2010, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• What do you guys think of Riverfront from the time when it was known as the Cinergy Field and part of the outfield seating was demolished (to make room for the construction of the Redlegs' new facility)?
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
            What do you guys think of Riverfront from the time when it was known as the Cinergy Field and part of the outfield seating was demolished (to make room for the construction of the Redlegs' new facility)?
            I visited during that time in August of 2001. It felt like a smaller version of Shea. The addition of grass and a dirt infield also helped the visuals. However, I still think it would have been my least favorite of the cookie cutters when it was enclosed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              What do you guys think of Riverfront from the time when it was known as the Cinergy Field and part of the outfield seating was demolished (to make room for the construction of the Redlegs' new facility)?
              It drastically improved the park when comparing it to the other cookie cutter stadiums, and its own previous incarnation. I remember one day hearing Marty Brennamen remark on the radio that there really was no reason to build a new stadium since the grass and outfield removal improvements had been made. I felt it to be a lot better place to watch a game, but it still was a big concrete edifice with a lot of things that couldn't be changed from its original design. While GABP gets a bad rap, it really is a nice park, and has a ton of things going for it. I haven't yet been there and sat in a seat where I felt removed from the action....and I definitely can't say the same for Cinergy / Riverfront.

Comment

• Originally posted by RfkFedEx View Post
                Thanks for sharing bnbusser. Love those Redskins game pics from 1991, what a year that was for us.

Glad you included pics of the turnstiles. Seems like many of the cookie cutters had the same model of Perry turnstiles. I remember seeing them in Fulton County, Busch 2.0 and Riverfront.
                I had no idea rfk looked so good for football, great shape! Wish I coudl say the same for baseball.
                The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• The Big Red Machine. What a scary line up. I loved to watch that team in post season. One of the best all time, in my opinion.
                  Iko Iko

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
                    I had no idea rfk looked so good for football, great shape! Wish I coudl say the same for baseball.
                    I know I'm biased bc it was my home cathedral, but I have mixed feelings on how great it was for each sport. I attended about 120 games Redskins and Nats between '82 and '07.

The best part about RFK for football was the intimacy. The upper deck was very close to the field, particularly on the home sideline which was the first base side. The roof held in the sound to make it really loud. Winning teams in my lifetime also helped a lot.

The best part about RFk for baseball was the upper deck. You could get real close to the diamond in the lower rows of the upper level.

The lower level seating wasn't steep enough and it had the dreaded horizontal walkways between the sections. Views were often obstructed by people standing or walking as far as 10 rows in front of you. It was even worse for football when all of the lower level stood for the entire game as a result.

Comment

• I got into a pretty good conversation with a co-worker about the multi-purpose stadiums of the '60's and '70's. He was saying what a waste they were but I countered by suggesting that with out those stadiums some cities might have lost their franchises. I know that with out Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati does not get an expansion AFL franchise (the Bengals) and the Reds might have moved too. As much as some hated them, at the time they saved some cities their two major outdoor professional sports franchises.

Comment

• Few people hated the cookie cutters when they were new. I'll bet most people thought they were pretty awesome compared to the run down early century parks they'd just abandoned. Nostalgia had not yet been born. The newly found ability to construct stadiums with out the view obstructing vertical support columns must have been pretty nice. Not to mention ample rest rooms, concessions, wider concourses, and parking.

Comment

• Some interesting comments by Roger Angell at the end of the Polo Grounds run of the Mets...I see a lot of this from fans of Shea (and other cookie cutters) (Sorry about the weird scanning, I was too lazy to type.)

"Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

• Ah yes the Big Red Machine of '75-'77.. I remember being stationed in the Philippines and listening to the '75 series on the radio.. and the '76 series when the Reds smoked checked the Yanks...loved it.. George Foster number 15 could hit a baseball as far as any man that ever played the game.

buckeyejim

I got into a pretty good conversation with a co-worker about the multi-purpose stadiums of the '60's and '70's. He was saying what a waste they were but I countered by suggesting that with out those stadiums some cities might have lost their franchises. I know that with out Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati does not get an expansion AFL franchise (the Bengals) and the Reds might have moved too. As much as some hated them, at the time they saved some cities their two major outdoor professional sports franchises.
                            Exactly. I grew up in Cincinnati in the 50s & 60s.. and what your friend says is so true..with out the promise of a new stadium Cincinnati would be a AAA town at best.

RfkFedEx

Few people hated the cookie cutters when they were new. I'll bet most people thought they were pretty awesome compared to the run down early century parks they'd just abandoned. Nostalgia had not yet been born. The newly found ability to construct stadiums with out the view obstructing vertical support columns must have been pretty nice. Not to mention ample rest rooms, concessions, wider concourses, and parking.
                            So true.. Riverfront was such an improvement over Crosley Field. Crosley field had very limited parking..was in a very bad neighborhood and no restaurants or hotel within 2-3 miles of the place. The concourses were crowded.. The restrooms were pre-historic.. The seats on the lower level required you to crane your neck to see the came.. They were to flat. No incline. Plus the Reds only drew over a million fans at Crosley 4 times.. in '56, '57, '61 & '65. That's it. Mediocre attendance at Crosley at best. Usually below the leauge average.

It's easy for those that never visited one of the old ballparks to dream about how cool it must have been.. trust me it was not that great looking back and having experienced better ball yards..but back then when your a kid just being at an National League game was a great experience..
                            Last edited by bd popeye; 08-22-2010, 06:07 AM.
                            Big Daddy Popeye
                            US Navy/retired
                            1971-1991

Comment

• With all of this talk about the Big Red Machine and Riverfront Stadium,
                              here is my cad drawing of Riverfront.....
                              sigpic

Comment

• He a Riverfront factoid.. When the park first opened it was no completed.. The ramps going to the upper deck in left field were incomplete. Something else. The Reds wanted to build a stadium club on the press level in center field. The Bungals..errr I mean the Bengals objected.. So guess what? It was never built. Folding chairs were used in that area for many years for big football crowds.

And only the 3rd base side seats on the field level moved to accommodate the stadium for football.
                                Big Daddy Popeye
                                US Navy/retired
                                1971-1991

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X