Cookie-Cutter Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curb my enthusiasm View Post
    The 1992 pictures prove my point. Why did they choose a dark olive green to go up against the gray cement? What an ugly combination.

Also, I used to watch lots of Mets and Braves games on TV. When the Mets and Braves played night games in Riverfront, Veterans, or Three Rivers, if you didn't know any better, you would have thought that those were domed stadiums.

The best of the cookie-cutters was Busch. After renovating it, it looked like a very nice ballpark. Of course I'm sure that the new one is better, but it's surprising how good the old one looked.
    haha I thought Fulton County Stadium had a roof till I saw the pics here earlier this morning.

Comment

Ugly

Boy were those parks ugly... The only cookie cutter I sat in was the dump off the Van Wyck. The Mets have been in Dire need of a new park since the late seventies.. I can't imagine sitting in the upper deck in left center at Riverfront. You were better off watching the World Series on TV!! I remember in the early 90s when the Pirates were in the playoffs and they couldn't sell out.. Not real hard to figure out. Hopefully those multi purpose disasters will never return..

Comment

I like the parking garage under cinergy!
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Growing up in Chicago I always felt sorry for the fans who had the cookie cutter stadiums. It seemed so alien to me.
          I think that Bush was the best of the cookie cutters but only after they went back to natural grass.
          I guess that the arches around the roof line is what gave it a different look but I really hated these places.
          How about Olympic Stadium? What a god awful mess that was!
          That had to be the most depressing place ever to see a MLB game.

Comment

Think about those killer Reds teams of the 1970s playing in that absurd ballpark.
            A team with so much tradition calling that home was unreal.
            Same thing for the Pirates.
            What a contrast when the Reds played the Yankees in the 1977 World Series.
            The Reds may have kicked their ass on the field but the Yankees had the better field by far.

Comment

I've been to the metrodome once.

I thought it was fun, but if I had to see my team there all the time I might not like it so much.

Comment

I have always thought that Bush was the best looking cookie cutter, even in pictures before it was renovated it still looked like a nice place...maybe it was the roof design
                Houston Rockets
                playoffs:1969,75,77,79,80,81,82,85,86,87,88,89,90, 91,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,2004,05,07,08
                West Champions:81,86,94,95
                NBA Champions:94,95
                Houston Astros
                Playoffs: 1980,86,97,98,99,01,04,05
                NL west champs: 80,86
                NL central champs: 97,98,99,01
                NL Wild Card: 04,05
                NL Champions: 05
                Houston Oilers: AFL champs 1960,61
                Texas Longhorns class of 2012
                Lufkin Panthers div 2 state champs 2001

Comment

It doesn't really show off the "cookie cutter" design that much, but these DC Stadium/RFK shots were too cool to pass up - '62 All-Star Game, JFK (and LBJ) throwing out the first ball:

And not to be outdone, Nixon doing the honors in 1969:

Last edited by alpineinc; 05-19-2008, 09:13 PM.

Showcasing the finest photography to illuminate the lesser known stories from classic baseball. Now over 2000 followers!
                  https://twitter.com/behindthebagbtb

Comment

Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                    Growing up in Chicago I always felt sorry for the fans who had the cookie cutter stadiums. It seemed so alien to me.
                    I think that Bush was the best of the cookie cutters but only after they went back to natural grass.
                    I guess that the arches around the roof line is what gave it a different look but I really hated these places.
                    How about Olympic Stadium? What a god awful mess that was!
                    That had to be the most depressing place ever to see a MLB game.

Im not sure whats worse knowing that the roof should be retractable but never worked right or having a field built on an expo hall. Man that place looked lifeless!
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                      There's no need to feel sorry, those of us who grew up going to these cookie cutters didn't know any different. The most important part was the team that was on the field. And I guarantee you that at the end of the year, as excited as Mets fans will be to open a new park, it will be the hardest thing for them to realize they can't go to Shea and see their Mets play there anymore. I went through it with the Phils and yes, I love Citizens Bank Park, but it doesn't make me love or miss the Vet any less.

And as far as Busch goes, I agree with the fact that the renovations towards the end of it's life definitely gave it a more intimate ballpark feel. However, they had the benefit of not having to still share their stadium with a football team for the last 10 years or so, a luxury some of the other tenants of cookie cutters did not have.

Comment

I guess I do think of Tampa Stadium (the old bucs football field) when people talk cookie cutters. Nothing that special about it, other than it was ours and we had good memories there. It was all concrete, even the seats you sat on, no individual seats just numbers on slabs of concrete bleachers, and no views or breezes.

I was so happy to get a new stadium as a kid, but man do we have fun talking about the old one sometimes. I never felt bad for wanting a new stadium, I just feel bad that I can't relive those memories every now and then. This totally unfesable, but I wish you could do like on video games and play one game or two at the old stadium, just because!
                        Last edited by Chevy114; 05-20-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Sorry, but I'd take this new retro-craze over the concrete donuts any day. That said, it's been three years (?) since Busch Stadium III opened and it's still a gravel pit to the north. What is the latest news on when Wrigleyville err... I mean "redtown" is going to start construction?

It's too late now, but what would have been really cool would have been to take just what is here in this picture below and make three story condos out of it. The crown across the top would be an homage to the old busch stadium and they could have put bay windows just behind the pilars and then brick in the back somehow.

I think that structure surrounded by the red brick stores and apartments they're planning on building would have been really really cool... and given the neighborhood a more realistic eclectic feel.

Comment

Originally posted by btown12 View Post
                            There's no need to feel sorry, those of us who grew up going to these cookie cutters didn't know any different. The most important part was the team that was on the field. And I guarantee you that at the end of the year, as excited as Mets fans will be to open a new park, it will be the hardest thing for them to realize they can't go to Shea and see their Mets play there anymore. I went through it with the Phils and yes, I love Citizens Bank Park, but it doesn't make me love or miss the Vet any less.
                            Like many Met fans, I know Shea is a dump, but it's our dump. It's really a shame the way management has let it slip into such a terrible state of disrepair and making the last memories of puddles scattered throughout the concourses and toilets that don't work, but the lasting memories will be of the times when the grass couldn't be any greener, the sun no brighter and the day couldn't get any better than one at good old Shea.

A couple of the strangest feelings about the Mets moving into a new ballpark are, getting used to the fact that this new stadium is my new home and my beloved Mets will be taking the field there for, well, probably 40 years or so. Also, going into New Shea and not knowing my way around. My dad was recently telling me a story about how he never worried about me leaving him and going to the bathroom/concession/etc... because I'd always manage to get back some how.

As a big ballpark fan, what I have done in trips to a park for the first time, as I literally walk off the concourse and into the seating bowl, I have my camera out and snap a photo to capture the green of the grass...now if I can only figure out a way to bottle up the smell of the ballpark.

I suppose with enough stale beer and lukewarm hot dogs, I'll have my place smelling like Shea in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by CitiFieldIsNoShea View Post
                              Like many Met fans, I know Shea is a dump, but it's our dump. It's really a shame the way management has let it slip into such a terrible state of disrepair and making the last memories of puddles scattered throughout the concourses and toilets that don't work, but the lasting memories will be of the times when the grass couldn't be any greener, the sun no brighter and the day couldn't get any better than one at good old Shea.

A couple of the strangest feelings about the Mets moving into a new ballpark are, getting used to the fact that this new stadium is my new home and my beloved Mets will be taking the field there for, well, probably 40 years or so. Also, going into New Shea and not knowing my way around. My dad was recently telling me a story about how he never worried about me leaving him and going to the bathroom/concession/etc... because I'd always manage to get back some how.

As a big ballpark fan, what I have done in trips to a park for the first time, as I literally walk off the concourse and into the seating bowl, I have my camera out and snap a photo to capture the green of the grass...now if I can only figure out a way to bottle up the smell of the ballpark.

I suppose with enough stale beer and lukewarm hot dogs, I'll have my place smelling like Shea in no time.

This reads like a W.P. Kinsella passage.

Now I can't wait to see Shea!

Comment

Originally posted by CitiFieldIsNoShea View Post

I had the same worries when approaching Busch III. That it wouldn't smell or feel like Busch II. But once I walked in and smelled the hot dogs and brats cooking on the grill, Ernie Hayes playing the organ and the buzz of the crowd, I felt better, I felt at home. The only thing missing at that time was the smell of peanut shells on the ground.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X