Cookie-Cutter Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cookie-Cutter Thread

Ok, we all know that the cookie-cutter era of stadiums of the 60's and 70's are considered the dark ages of ballpark design. But for those of us that called these places home, we loved them because it was where we went to see our team play. Like our first cars that we got when we were 16, we couldn't help that they weren't the ideal thing we wanted, we loved them anyway and they have a special place in our hearts. Since these parks are all but extinct, let's give these places their due.

Let's share all of our stories and photos of these places we called home.
    sigpic

The former home of the best fans in baseball. I'm not arguing the point, in fact, don't take my word for it, but rather the players themselves, who named St. Louis as the best baseball town in America in a Sports Illustrated Poll a few years back.

Old Busch and Arch.jpg

Panoramic end.jpg

Busch Arches.jpg

Busch Stadium Last Day.jpg

I must have been at a few hundred games there.... mostly in the bleachers, or the box seats. Bob Gibson Day... Check. Lou Brock Day... Check. 1982, 1985, and 1987 World Series.... check. The Cards 100th Anniversary Celebration in 1992... check. After I moved away from St. Louis and to Indianapolis, I went back at least once a year for a very long time. I never did see McGwire play there, and was disspointed in that until the day of his testimony to Congress... now I'm glad I never made the effort to go see him.

I prefer to honor guys like this one instead.

STM Statue.jpg
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

I was scrolling through all of your nice images of Busch and then all the sudden my heart sank as I saw the photo of the last section before it was tore down completely. Sure, I took many pics of the demolition and I love the new place, but it still breaks my heart seeing images like that. I will post my photos and stories soon.

As for the other places, I can't wait to see photos and hear stories.
      sigpic

Comment

I can remember being envious of the fans in other cities (Shea included) because they were all getting nice new ballparks and the Yankees were stuck in old ugly Yankee Stadium!
        Live and learn. At that time I would have traded Yankee Stadium for a cookie cutter, I was young and a bit slow I guess.
        Last edited by YankeeFanBx; 05-17-2008, 06:49 AM.
        :gt:gt

Comment

Last edited by Yoda; 05-16-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            I've got a question about the new parks in NYC but I didn't think it'd need it's own thread.

As an out of towner it seems interesting to me that both teams are getting a new home at the same time. Is this a coincidence or was one planned initially and then the other team didn't want to be outdone?
            Excellent question Yoda! I have often thought of that as well. I look forward to any responses or hypothesis.

Comment

What stadium was planned first?
              Last edited by Yoda; 05-16-2008, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                I've got a question about the new parks in NYC but I didn't think it'd need it's own thread.

As an out of towner it seems interesting to me that both teams are getting a new home at the same time. Is this a coincidence or was one planned initially and then the other team didn't want to be outdone?
                Couldn't this have been asked in the billions of threads created for NYS or Citi Field?
                sigpic

Comment

The Yankees had been trying to get a new stadium since the 80's and especially after a beam fell in 98'. It was about that time that both teams made some proposals (for retractable roof stadiums) but they fell through until about 3 years ago. I'm not too sure about the coincidence of both teams trying to build a new park at the same time but both parks were looking pretty run down around the same time, so plans were proposed at the same time.
                  ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

Three Rivers pre and post demolition exterior

Busch

Veterans

1970 under construction, with the Spectrum and JFK stadium in the background. CBP now sits to the left of the Vet & the Spectrum.

1974 opening day

Riverfront
                    1975 World Series

Comment

Atlanta Fulton County Stadium

RFK

Comment

Ok, I was able to go through all of my pics of Busch and select the ones I really like. Of course that doesn't mean I won't show a lot.

Busch Memorial Stadium was where I grew up. I remember being six or seven and wanting to walk around and explore the stadium's every nook and cranny. It's where I went with my parents and brother. It's where we walked up many times on opening night, got bleacher seats and froze our butts off and drank hot chocolate. My brother, cousin and I would go to camera night with our parents and get to walk on the outfield of the stadium. We'd get autographs from the players as well as Whitey Herzog. Walking on that astroturf was the coolest thing as a little kid.

Growing up in the 80's in St. Louis as a Cardinals fan was a great time. Going to games and watching players like Ozzie Smith, Jack Clark, Tommy Herr, Willie McGee and Terry Pendelton was a thrill. I never went to playoff games then but the city was such a buzz of excitement in October in 1982, 1985 and 1987.

As I got older I would also go to games with my grandpa. He had company tickets half way up the loge level half way down the first base line between 1st and the foul pole. I would always feel embarrased before the game because he would sing along with Ernie Hayes playing "Meet Me In St. Louie." I'd give anything to relive those times.

I did get to go to a World Series game in 2004. One of my friends, his brother and I had standing room only for game 3. It was a let down but being in the middle of the baseball universe is an experience I will never forget. Nothing beats being at a postseason game.

Some friends of mine and I went to the last regular season game at Busch. It was so bitter sweet. I didn't watch much of the game, just explored and photographed as much as I could, knowing that soon she would be gone forever. We had standing room only. I brought my late grandpa's hat with all of his pins on it so that in a way, he was there with me to see the last regular season game that early October Sunday afternoon. Once the last out was recorded and the Cardinals won, the organization had a 2 hour long ceremony to celebrate those who played in and worked at this home for Cardinal baseball for 40 years. I don't think anyone in attendence left before the ceremony was over.

So, here are photos of Busch Memorial Stadium, in life and in death.

The 1st photo was taken in the late 80's or early 90's. The rest were taken in the early 2000's.
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

Here are a few more from the early 2000's.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Photos from the last regular season game.

The first one is of the 1st pitch by Matt Morris. The second is after Ozzie Smith pulled off the last number in the countdown. The third is of the final out, a strike out by Jason Isringhausen. It took several photos until I got the final out since I took a photo of every pitch after the second out was recorded. The last photo is of the manual scoreboard with the final score of the game. This board, along with the out of town scoreboards are at Busch III, with everything kept as it looked once the final out was recorded. If you look at the out of town boards today, several games are not finished being scored because they weren't done at the conclusion of the Cardinals game. In a sense these score boards have frozen a moment in time.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

More from the final regular season game.

The first photo is of the famous Budweiser Clydestales making their last lap around the ballpark once the game was over. The second is of many former Cardinals who played at Busch II gathered on the field for the ceremonies. The last says it all. The sun sets on the final season at Busch Memorial Stadium.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X