Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took that pic! :hyper:

Comment

• First Comerica Park, then Citi Field, now PETCO Park? (Watch out, Marlins Park....)

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...of-petco-park/

Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the Padres are thinking about the place they call home:

Padres interim CEO Tom Garfinkel said the club plans to study what effects reducing Petco Park’s spacious outfield might have on the team’s offense. The Padres could submit plans to Major League Baseball after the season in hopes of turning Petco into a more hitter-friendly park in time for the 2013 season.
      Another way to go with this could be to simply schedule more day games in Petco, because the ball flies a lot better then than it does after that heavy marine air seeps in at night. I suppose that’s unpalatable for a lot of reasons, however, given that a lot of people, you know, work during the day.

Whatever the case, Petco is clearly the most extreme pitcher’s park in baseball. But someone has to be, right? I know each club has to do its best to maximize its revenue and to optimize its competitive position, but I really do like having some variance in these things across the league. While, yes, offense is on the decline these days, we still have a lot of hitter friendly parks around and we could use some pitcher friendly ones to balance that out.

Comment

• I am truly interested in what tests teams perform before they build stadiums and especially before they finalize the spot where the walls go if this many teams are having issues.
        The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chevy114 View Post
          I am truly interested in what tests teams perform before they build stadiums and especially before they finalize the spot where the walls go if this many teams are having issues.
          It is odd. And it's not rocket science to know what dimensions at what points will produce what results. The only 2 stadiums that I read actually performed scientific studies in order to determine the dimensions were the original Anaheim Stadium and Coors Field.

Then you had the cookie-cutter ballparks which basically standardized the 330-375-400 as the "perfectly neutral" dimensions. Boring or not, those are still the perfect marks for a neutral park at sea level.

Then you had the Camden revolution that started the quirky-for-quirky sake dimensions.

That being said, ballparks changing dimensions has a long history. Many ballparks changed dimensions almost on a yearly basis in the 1920s-1950s. Even Dodger Stadium got it wrong at first...so did Candlestick.

Quirky dimensions are fine, but, they must play neutral.
          I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
          - Walt Whitman

Comment

• I thought most of the older stadiums only changed deminsions to fit more seats into their stadiums, but either way yeah you would think it would be a no brainer to set up the park deminsions and bring in some hitters.
            The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

• Fangraphs: Padres Considering Bringing Fences In
              http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...ing-fences-in/
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Well, if you're the Padres, you need to do just more than bring in the fences at Petco Park to increase home run totals. You need to actually have players who can hit as opposed to players who led the Major Leagues in strikeouts through the first month of the 2012 season.

Please keep in mind, I'm a Padres fan.

Comment

• It seems like there's a rule in the Majors that this can't happen during the season. There have been other parks that brought in the fences, and did not add stands. The old Arlington Stadium cut their power alleys by about 10 feet in the 70s when Jeff Burroughs was upset about the south winds blowing his fly balls back. Same things with the old Astrodome, putting an inner fence up to help the hitters.

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                    ...330-375-400 as the "perfectly neutral" dimensions. Boring or not, those are still the perfect marks for a neutral park at sea level.Even Dodger Stadium got it wrong at first...so did Candlestick.
                    Quirky dimensions are fine, but, they must play neutral.
                    those cutters (except shea) had another reason why hitters thrived in that environment, the 360-round high stands cut down on wind influences.
                    at the 'stick the fence distances wasn't the problem - it was the wind.
                    the turd in the punchbowl
                    reality really sucks.
                    enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Originally posted by OBomb View Post
                      Well, if you're the Padres, you need to do just more than bring in the fences at Petco Park to increase home run totals. You need to actually have players who can hit as opposed to players who led the Major Leagues in strikeouts through the first month of the 2012 season.
                      good point, bet the marine layer at night shortens some fly's also.
                      playing with fences is usually the mark of a bad club and front office desperation.
                      the turd in the punchbowl
                      reality really sucks.
                      enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Ballpark review: Petco

http://swingingbuntz.com/2012/04/30/...-in-san-diego/

Comment

• http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...758-PETCO-Park

Comment

• My photos of Petco Park - August 2009
                            http://www.pbase.com/trut_maluglist/petco_park_2009_a
                            Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by BiZmaRK View Post
                              My photos of Petco Park - August 2009
                              http://www.pbase.com/trut_maluglist/petco_park_2009_a
                              Amazing pics again! I didn't realize how deep in downtown it was, most of these parks are just near downtown sites. I also never realized how open and beachy it feels while still being in a downtown area that usually requires parks to fit into small areas.

Comment

• Denorfia's two-run homer
                                4/11/12: Chris Denorfia skies a go-ahead two-run shot to center that just gets over a leaping Chris Young, who loses his glove over the wall

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=20541731
                                The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X