Classy indeed!

Source

Comment

Clean Petco

Press area

source

Comment

1998 Margarita Bowl

I just saw an old episode of the blooper show The Lighter Side of Sports and they showed several clips of The Margarita Bowl. That year the game was played on the future site of Petco Park. It was weird seeing the Western Metal Supply Co. building without Petco around it.

Comment

Petco Park

Just noticed a lack of Petco Park/San Diego threads, so why not:

Was out there this past weekend for Comic Con, the Pads were away so I walked around the stadium

Here is the Omni

Western Metal Supply building.

Photos of Padres along the side of the Omni

The main gate of the stadium

NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Got a little kick out of the Petco Park Promise.

Petco's dedication plaque

HEY! Its the Green Hornet car in the garage shop on across from Petco!

NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
            Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
            Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Comment

One of the quirks about PETCO Park is that the visitor's bullpen is in foul territory in right field (on the playing field), while the Padres' bullpen is behind the center field fence.
                According to Andrew Clem's Ballparks page, only one other ballpark had an enclosed bullpen in the outfield and another one in foul territory on the playing field, and that was Griffith Stadium in Washington from 1952-54. I contacted the Padres about this and they actually called me back about this, and the original plan was to have stacked bullpens in center, but decided on just the Padres' bullpen.
                With the Padres' habit of having the bullpen across from the team dugout instead of down the foul line of their dugout, in the area behind the fence corresponding to the dugouts, or having them stacked or laid side to side, I have one idea. Build a new bullpen for the Padres in the shaded area of left field (under the overhangs and in the area of the Western Metal Supply building), and move the visitors' bullpen to the current Padres' bullpen. Either that or enclose the bullpen in foul territory with a fence.
                MISSISSIPPI BRAVES 10TH SEASON IN THE SOUTHERN LEAGUE 2005-2014

Comment

Below are a couple of pictures of a very proud Sunday tradition that started at Qualcomm Stadium in the late 1990s. Almost every Sunday, a company of recruits from the nearby Marine Corps Recruit Depot is allowed to take a break from basic training and take in Padres baseball. Sunday is Military Appreciation Day at Petco Park and the team wears camoflauge uniforms in tribute to our men and women in uniform. The recruits stay for about seven innings and are honored by the crowd who cheers as the Marine Corps Hymn is played during the game.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...1t:429,r:3,s:0

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...:429,r:17,s:64
                  OBomb
                  Last edited by OBomb; 08-20-2010, 10:25 AM. Reason: Pictures not displayed

Comment

Yes that is a proud event, and I like the way the Pods honor them by wearing their camo tops, khaki-colored pants and green caps. It's one of the most stunning unis ever created. Love it.

Comment

• I was there back in 2006 for a Sunday and saw that. It was really cool. I started conversing with one of the Marines on the concourse while waiting on line for food, but as soon as we both saw his drill seargent coming we both hushed up. Its cool too how they march down the stairs on the right field side after the game.

Comment

• Pathetic crowd in the house for a nationally televised potential playoff matchup. Embarrassing for San Diego.

Comment

• looks like the outfield wall advertising was covered over, will this become the norm on national tv games?
                          the turd in the punchbowl
                          reality really sucks.
                          enjoy the game more...

Comment

• Very few stadiums fit in with its surroundings like Petco Park. It has a quintessential San Diego feel to it.
                            Ik heb een intense liefde voor de brouwers

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul W View Post
                              looks like the outfield wall advertising was covered over, will this become the norm on national tv games?
                              It was a one-day tribute to the Stand Up To Cancer efforts. The banners had over 20,000 signatures in tribute to those afflicted by the disease.

Comment

• I just got a book about the design/construction of Petco Park:
                                http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Spot-Sto...1165315&sr=8-1

I highly recommend it. Especially if you can get one of the several used copies listed for $5 or less. (I got mine for a penny!! Plus $3.99 shipping.)
                                In depth articles on all aspects of design and construction, lots of great pictures. Very, very cool!
                                StadiumPage.com
                                Stadium Google Map

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X