Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owen J. "Donie" Bush Stadium / Victory Field [I] / Perry Stadium - Indianapolis, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owen J. "Donie" Bush Stadium / Victory Field [I] / Perry Stadium - Indianapolis, IN

Owen Bush Stadium is still standing in Indianapolis. The Indianapolis Clowns of the Negro League played there in 1944, and again from 1946 to 1950.

The park was used by the AAA Indianapolis Indians forever..... up until 1999 when the magnificent Vicory Field opened.

Here are some photos of Bush Stadium.....

Indy - Bush Stadium dusk.jpg

Indy - Bush Stadium 2.jpg

Indy - Bush Stadium.bmp

Indy - Bush Stadium Entrance.jpg

The park was used to film "Eight Men Out" had Ivy Covered walls "before" Wrigley Field did, and was a fantastic place to watch a game. It was designed after Wrigley Field... but with just ONE deck.

It was definitely one of the old... no fould territory designs in which the fans were "right on top of the field." There was an old manual scoreboard that was part of the left field wall. My buddy worked for the team in college, and he and I worked the scoreboard together one game. If you hustled out to the scoreboard before the game.... no-one could check the contents of your cooler!! We had a few brews, and posted the scores via walkie talkie communication every half inning or so. Problem was, there was no restroom!! There was a door leading outside of the left field wall, and you "deposited" your beer there. The weeds were as tall as we were! I distinctly remember talking to the left fielder for the Buffalo Bisons... a kid with longish blond hair. He would chat with us between innings, we'd yell at him when a fly ball came his way, etc. Nice guy, and a very fun night. A truly unique way to watch a game.... IN the left field wall.

I saw about 30 or so games there... caught 4 foul balls, and stole the managers hat off his head after the team won the AAA World Series on year. I had the guy (Joe Sparks) autograph the hat the next season... when he turned it over to sign the bill... his number 7 was on it. He signed it, just grinned and gave it back to me.

The park has most recently been used for a RACE-TRACK, and hosts midget and sprint car races.

Indy - 16th St Speedway.bmp

It's located on West 16th Street, about halfway between the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Downtown. The area is very economically depressed.
    "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Owen J. "Donie" Bush Stadium / Victory Field [I] / Perry Stadium

Does anyone know if the Indiapolis Clowns played the majority of their home games at Owen Bush Stadium during 1946 or did they use another field part of the of season?

Comment

Green Cathedrals lists Indianapolis' home games at Victory Field I (later renamed Owen Bush Stadium) in 1946. No other ballparks are so listed.
      Last edited by Brian McKenna; 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by disgrig View Post
        Does anyone know if the Indiapolis Clowns played the majority of their home games at Owen Bush Stadium during 1946 or did they use another field part of the of season?
        They played a home game at Crosley Field May 19th because the Indianapolis American Association team had a double header at Victory/Owen, but looks like almost all of their other home games were played at Victory.

Comment

Clowns' home game in Cincinnati--on video

I recently watched a video I found at the library of Goose Tatum and King Tut and the Ind. Clowns playing as the home team at Crosley Field in Sept. 1946 vs. the KC Monarchs. It is a short film (8 mins, silent, black and white) but it is excellent. It is in the Treasures of the American Film Archives collection. I think it was on DVD vol 2. A must see for anyone interested in the Negro Leagues.

Comment

According to Ballpark Digest, 90% of the apartments here are pre-leased.
            The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
              According to Ballpark Digest, 90% of the apartments here are pre-leased.
              I saw that today, are they that nice or just that cool?
              The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

They are supposed to be very nice. The area around it is not... but it is close to downtown, and a University. Developers are hoping the apartments help the area begin a economic and property value rebound
                "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

Bush Stadium today.

The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

any inside shots of the condos?
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Wonder how the residents will feel about baseballs hitting their places. Obviously they are aware that they are living in an old stadium... but its still your home being hit by baseballs.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X