Al Lopez Field - Tampa FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Lopez Field - Tampa FL

I came across this photo of Tampa stadium and Al Lopez field. From what I can tell, Al Lopez field was located where the east stands are for Raymond James stadium, which is on the site now.
    Attached Files
    It is 9:46 p.m.

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Swung on and missed, a perfect game!!

check out my personal ballpark photography site
    www.ballparks.phanfare.com

That's exactly where it was. I watched the Big Red Machine play many a spring training game there.

Comment

its really hard to find any photo evidence of its location, like in the postcard.... I got lucky! I know when I went to Tampa stadium, someone told me approx. where Lopez field was....

Vin Scully with the call: Two and 2 to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch.....

Comment

Here's an old map that shows the location: http://terraserver-usa.com/image.asp...cTampa%7cFL%7c

It looks like the "Al Lopez Field" label is for (old) Tampa Stadium, but right below is the faint baseball diamond.

Comment

I am little young, so all i remember ever being there is yankee land, the pratice fields for the spring training yanks. But the older people in tampa used to love going to see mantle and marris bounce homeruns off people's roofs across the street!
          The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

I dunno about Roger and Mickey, but I was there when Eric Davis hit a shot directly into the teeth of a stiff north wind that hit the fence around the concourse of old Tampa Stadium.

(The road visible beyond right field is Himes Ave, which runs north/south. The left field line pointed almost directly due north.)

Comment

Here is another photo I found of Al Lopez field
              Attached Files

Comment

Some more images:

pc1287a.jpg
                lopezfield.jpg

Comment

More images courtesy of www.tampapix.com:

SB-18.jpgTampa-Stadium-Jets-Lions.jpg

Comment

Wow great pics as always! Its also fun to see the evolution of the old Tampa stadium.
                    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time.

Comment

Goofball that first pic you put up looks like it is a university of Tampa game going on in Tampa stadium. Can you confirm or deny that?

Comment

It has to be UT because the stadium was expanded by the time the bucs first played there and by the time Tampa got any super bowls right?

Comment

Originally posted by NickEsasky View Post
                          Goofball that first pic you put up looks like it is a university of Tampa game going on in Tampa stadium. Can you confirm or deny that?
                          I believe that pic was taken during the Super Saturday event on October 11, 1969. A college football doubleheader took place at the stadium featuring Tulane and Florida in game one, and the U of Tampa playing Tulsa in game two... Here's a link with more information: Super Saturday in Tampa, 10/11/69.
                          Last edited by Capital City Goofball; 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Capital City Goofball View Post
                            I believe that pic was taken during the Super Saturday event on October 11, 1969. A college football doubleheader took place at the stadium featuring Tulane and Florida in game one, and the U of Tampa playing Tulsa in game two... Here's a link with more information: Super Saturday in Tampa, 10/11/69.
                            That would be so cool to do these days, I love college football in person!

Comment

Note it shows the trends among Florida stadia of that era to have a minor league ballpark directly adjacent to a major football venue.

This includes Al Lopez next to Tampa Stadium, Miami Field next to the Orange Bowl, Tinker Field next to the Citrus Bowl, and Wolfson Field next to the Gator Bowl.
                              Last edited by PeteU; 07-02-2012, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X