Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Happened to Cotton-Eyed Joe?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Happened to Cotton-Eyed Joe?

    I know this is a really retarded topic, but did they stop playing Cotton Eyed Joe at the Stadium? I was at 3 games this year and not once was it played. I really liked that song when they played it at the games, made the atmosphere more fun.
    The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

  • #2
    I've been to 4 games and they always play it, and I wish they wouldn't. I think it's in the 8th inning. I think it's dumb, along with YMCA and that famous baseball call, DAYYYYYY--OO!
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by The Monument View Post
      I've been to 4 games and they always play it, and I wish they wouldn't. I think it's in the 8th inning. I think it's dumb, along with YMCA and that famous baseball call, DAYYYYYY--OO!
      I guess it's a matter of taste. The Dayo call i find kinda annoying also. But YMCA, come on. Idk, I guess it's what you like.
      The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The Monument View Post
        I've been to 4 games and they always play it, and I wish they wouldn't. I think it's in the 8th inning. I think it's dumb, along with YMCA and that famous baseball call, DAYYYYYY--OO!
        I was at today's game (May 25th) and they did not play it.

        Comment


        • #5
          The reason why people clap with that "Everybody clap your hands!" clip is still unknown to me.

          Comment


          • #6
            May 23

            It was played on May 23! 13-2 what a game!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Williamsburg2599 View Post
              The reason why people clap with that "Everybody clap your hands!" clip is still unknown to me.
              I hate that clip. It's meant for the 6 year olds in the crowd, but for some reason, a lot of adults feel they have to clap as well. IMO, it brings baseball down to the level of a kindergarten pep rally.

              Cotton Eyed Joe was a hit only in the mid-90's (by a European band called Rednex), thus I don't think it's been around long enough to be an institution that should be played at every game at every stadium. But it does get the kids dancing in the aisles, without the pretentious pandering of "everybody clap your hands". That song should be outlawed from all stadiums, and any stadium "DJ" should be imprisoned for 20 years for playing it (I won't comment on what should be done to any adult who actually claps to it)
              Last edited by Mario Mendoza...HOF Lock; 05-25-2008, 09:07 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I HATE Cotton Eye Joe! My god, it is really out of place in NY, especially the Bronx!







                Twenty Seven

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by NYBase View Post
                  I HATE Cotton Eye Joe! My god, it is really out of place in NY, especially the Bronx!
                  For some reason John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" was popular at Shea Stadium a while back.
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    s a country western line dance song, and everyone knows it. i dont participially care for it either, but i can understand why it's played

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Probably most likely because it was the Texas Rangers' stretch song and the Yankees for whatever reason tried to copy it. Much like half the teams in baseball have tried to copy "Sweet Caroline" after it became the Red Sox stretch song.

                      And "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" is the O's stretch song. I don't know why the Mets tried to co-opt it.

                      Seriously, if a team is going to have a seventh inning stretch song, at least make it original. Otherwise, stick to the classic "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I liked when the Mets played Lazy Mary in 2006. It was original, and fun. I am unsure of what song they play now, but hopefully it isn't Never gonna give you up by Rick Astley. The way the Mets are playing, being Rick Rolled doesn't make better.

                        Oh and I agree, everybody clap your hands must go. What does the management think our fans are, idiots? I think I know when I need to clap.
                        sigpic

                        D-Rex!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PeteU View Post
                          Probably most likely because it was the Texas Rangers' stretch song and the Yankees for whatever reason tried to copy it. Much like half the teams in baseball have tried to copy "Sweet Caroline" after it became the Red Sox stretch song.

                          And "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" is the O's stretch song. I don't know why the Mets tried to co-opt it.

                          Seriously, if a team is going to have a seventh inning stretch song, at least make it original. Otherwise, stick to the classic "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."
                          As far as I am concerned, you guys can have it. I hate hearing that during the stretch at every game.
                          Baseball Journeyman

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                            For some reason John Denver's "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" was popular at Shea Stadium a while back.
                            I despise all the contived garbage that goes on at Shea. 'Everybody Clap Your Hands', is retarded, the clip from Network: "I'm mad as hell ..." makes me mad as hell, and the scorebord sponsered 'Lets go Mets' is insulting. That's our chant, we didn't need a freekin scorebord to get us to say it.
                            All I want to hear at the stadium is 'Take Me Out To The Ballgame' in the 7th, naturally, spontaneously fan generated 'Let's Go Mets' chants and the ocasional organ playing 'Charge' at the rare approriate moment.
                            If they need a sing-along, I, and I'm sure MILLIONS of other Met fans would gladly belt out the ORIGINAL version of 'Meet The Mets'.
                            All this force fed group think is totalitarian and fascist. Not to mention annoying !
                            It's so darn loud all the time I can't even hear some of my favorite ball park sounds; the vendors - " Beyh-heya !", "Scooowr-books!", HOT-dawgs !" . . .:grouchy

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The weird thing about Cotton Eye Joe is that it isn't played during the 7th inning stretch, instead it is played between the 8th and 9th inning.
                              Twenty Seven

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X