Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football at RENOVATED Yankee Stadium??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Football at RENOVATED Yankee Stadium??

    I know the Giants were gone...but I'd heard that some college games had been played there. Any photos??

  • #2
    Football at RENOVATED Yankee Stadium??

    Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
    I know the Giants were gone...but I'd heard that some college games had been played there. Any photos??
    Can you please post which college football teams have played their games at renovated Yankee Stadium?

    Comment


    • #3
      The Cosmos played some games there before heading over to the Meadowlands.

      17 Aug 1976, New York City, NY, USA --- Pele scores as New York Cosmos defeat the Washington Diplomats 2-0 in the first round of the NASL Championships at Yankee Stadium. New York City, Aug.17, 1976.


      What? It's football.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • #4
        I think the Jets played a couple of exhibition games there (before they were renamed pre season games) vs the Raiders and vs the Giants. The layout of the field did not work well.
        Since the Jets were so unhappy with the Mets having the lease on Shea, they tried Yankee Stadium around 1977 since they were blocked out of Shea until late October. The Jets actually played a football game at Giants Stadium too (regular season vs Colts) in 1977 to show the Mets that they were already thinking of bolting from Shea. It took them 6 years to fianlly leave NY.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Manhattan View Post
          Can you please post which college football teams have played their games at renovated Yankee Stadium?
          10/30/1976 Norfolk State 23 - Bethune-Cookman 14 23,518
          11/20/1976 Fordham v. Brooklyn College (originally scheduled, played at Fordham's Coffey Field)

          9/17/1977 Grambling 35 - Morgan State 18 34,403

          9/23/1978 Grambling 21 - Morgan State 0 39,118

          9/8/1979 Grambling 28 - Morgan State 18 (Night)

          9/13/1980 Grambling 34 - Morgan State 13 36,631 (Night)

          9/5/1981 Grambling 21 - Florida A & M 10 40,661 (Night)

          9/4/1982 Grambling 42 - Morgan State 13 33,142 (Night)

          9/17/1983 Grambling 33 - Morgan State 0 34,098 (Night)

          9/8/1984 Boston University 16 - Grambling 9 31,979

          9/21/1985 Grambling 45 - North Carolina Central Univ. 14 37,192 (Night)

          9/20/1986 Grambling 32 - North Carolina Central 24 31,968 (Night)

          9/12/1987 Central State (Ohio) 37 - Grambling 21 29,411 (Night)

          Also found this clip of Grambling at Yankee Stadium in 1981, courtesey of youtube:

          http://www.broadcastyoutube.com/watc...eature=related

          Comment


          • #6
            I remember going to a Grambling-Morgan St. game, don't remember the year.
            The marching bands were off the hook!! I remember them more than the game!:gt
            :gt:gt

            Comment


            • #7
              Any others?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                10/30/1976 Norfolk State 23 - Bethune-Cookman 14 23,518
                11/20/1976 Fordham v. Brooklyn College (originally scheduled, played at Fordham's Coffey Field)

                9/17/1977 Grambling 35 - Morgan State 18 34,403

                9/23/1978 Grambling 21 - Morgan State 0 39,118

                9/8/1979 Grambling 28 - Morgan State 18 (Night)

                9/13/1980 Grambling 34 - Morgan State 13 36,631 (Night)

                9/5/1981 Grambling 21 - Florida A & M 10 40,661 (Night)

                9/4/1982 Grambling 42 - Morgan State 13 33,142 (Night)

                9/17/1983 Grambling 33 - Morgan State 0 34,098 (Night)

                9/8/1984 Boston University 16 - Grambling 9 31,979

                9/21/1985 Grambling 45 - North Carolina Central Univ. 14 37,192 (Night)

                9/20/1986 Grambling 32 - North Carolina Central 24 31,968 (Night)

                9/12/1987 Central State (Ohio) 37 - Grambling 21 29,411 (Night)

                Also found this clip of Grambling at Yankee Stadium in 1981, courtesey of youtube:

                http://www.broadcastyoutube.com/watc...eature=related
                the link doesnt work

                and

                that's not youtube

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm not sure how they'd fit a football field into the renovated stadium, especially after the LCF fences were brought in around 1985.
                  -Ryan

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by reh303 View Post
                    I'm not sure how they'd fit a football field into the renovated stadium, especially after the LCF fences were brought in around 1985.
                    That's why they stopped having any football games at YS in 1988 - when they brought in the fences to their current distances, the field became too small to fit a football field. Likewise, the NYS field wouldn't be able to handle a football field either (I doubt most new ballparks can).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
                      . The NYS field wouldn't be able to handle a football field either (I doubt most new ballparks can).
                      Angel Stadium, to this day hosts h.s. football games. Football has been played at Safeco, AT&T, and the ballpark/hangar formerly known as the BOB, just to name a few.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Manhattan View Post
                        Can you please post which college football teams have played their games at renovated Yankee Stadium?
                        Can you post how many times you wish college football teams have played their games at renovated Yankee Stadium?
                        Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, and rum. He will come.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                          the link doesnt work

                          and

                          that's not youtube
                          Here you go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIf_xMVKjk

                          Nothing much to it to show what's going on to show it's a football game except the last six or so seconds where you can see the goal post and yard markers.
                          Last edited by efin98; 08-10-2008, 09:21 PM.
                          Best posts ever:
                          Originally posted by nymdan
                          Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                          Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                          I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by efin98 View Post
                            Here you go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxIf_xMVKjk

                            Nothing much to it to show what's going on to show it's a football game except the last six or so seconds where you can see the goal post and yard markers.
                            when did they allow video cameras into Yankee Stadium?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                              when did they allow video cameras into Yankee Stadium?
                              Especially those old clunky ones from the 80s...

                              Might have been shot by a member of the team's or the school's media, or someone with good connections...or they may only have the restrictions for just Yankees games...
                              Best posts ever:
                              Originally posted by nymdan
                              Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                              Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                              I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X