Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    but Penn Station is still there. That's where I get the train to go to my aunt's house in New Jersey.
    Yeah but now there's a giant arena on top of it and it's underground... so yeah...
    "You're killin' me Smalls!"

Comment

• co-captain

Originally posted by toefer View Post
      Well are you saying Posada and Rivera won't be, or that Jeter will simply play longer than them, and that's why he's the last?

But yes, I agree. Being a sort of Yankee "legend" is more than just being a good player who wore the pinstripes for part of their career. All these big name free agents never really feel like Yankees, they just feel like rented talent. Teixeira, AJ, CC are the latest examples, but going back over the last few years A-Rod, Giambi, Randy Johnson, Clemens, etc., all never really seemed like Yankees. There are a few exceptions though... Tino and Paulie both seem like Yankees to me, and Pettitte would seem like more of one if they didn't botch his re-signing however many years ago (which, what do you know, was due to them being more concerned with going after more rented talent, this time in the form of Gary Sheffield), causing him to leave for Houston.

My favorite player is Posada, and I think he's been a largely underrated part of the team, at least what he brings to it behind-the-scenes. If he's not the unofficial captain of the team, he's certainly the unofficial co-captain. I hope he sticks around as a bench coach after he stops playing.
      I agree, the way he reacted to being injured last year, showed how much he cares, and what a competitor he is. Definitely a (co) - captain, like munson.

Comment

but Penn Station is still there. That's where I get the train to go to my aunt's house in New Jersey.
        Yeah but it's not the same as the old Penn Station. That's the one they tore down to build Madison Square Garden.

Comment

Oh for crying out loud.

YES, it is still called "PENN STATION." The stop on the NJ Transit/Path/Amtrack/LIRR/Subways is still called New York Penn Station (almost got off the Newark Penn Station once, but another story) but it is no longer this:

Now its...like I said, its like some non-descript airport terminal, underground with no character, no flair, no anything. Its just there. Hell, if you didn't know it was underneath Penn Plaza/MSG, would you even know that it was Penn Station?
          NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
          Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
          Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post
            Speaking of which, i'm taking the train to the game Thursday, (something I rarely do). I'm taking the LIRR into Penn. Whats the best way to get to the Stadium? I was planning to walk over to Herald Sq and take the B or D up. Any better suggestions? Thanks.
            Get the A to 42nd street and walk under the underpass thing to the 7 train, then take the 7 train to Grand Central and get the 4 train there. The B and the D train stop underground, so if you wanna see the stadium from the train, take the 4 train.

or you could just drive or take a cab. A cab would be kinda expensive though.

Comment

• I just don't understand how Penn Station got torn down. It makes no sense

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post
                Speaking of which, i'm taking the train to the game Thursday, (something I rarely do). I'm taking the LIRR into Penn. Whats the best way to get to the Stadium? I was planning to walk over to Herald Sq and take the B or D up. Any better suggestions? Thanks.
                Take the 1 uptown one stop to 42nd St. Take the shuttle (S) to Grand Central, and then get the 4 uptown.

Comment

• Originally posted by soup View Post
                  I just don't understand how Penn Station got torn down. It makes no sense
                  They sold the air space to the owners of MSG (BTW, speaking of which its a shame THAT rotunda and marque are lost to history as well) to build the new Garden on top of the railroad and subway platforms.
                  NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                  Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                  Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                    Oh for crying out loud.

YES, it is still called "PENN STATION." The stop on the NJ Transit/Path/Amtrack/LIRR/Subways is still called New York Penn Station (almost got off the Newark Penn Station once, but another story) but it is no longer this:

Now its...like I said, its like some non-descript airport terminal, underground with no character, no flair, no anything. Its just there. Hell, if you didn't know it was underneath Penn Plaza/MSG, would you even know that it was Penn Station?
                    im gonna go with noooooooooooo. though it did look better before that rat infested garden was layed over it. who knows, maybe they'll rebuild if they move msg across the street. is that still happening?
                    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/g...6078886&ref=ts
                    follow me on twitter
                    https://twitter.com/reemowilliams

Comment

• Originally posted by BMF View Post
                      im gonna go with noooooooooooo. though it did look better before that rat infested garden was layed over it. who knows, maybe they'll rebuild if they move msg across the street. is that still happening?
                      No, they're renovating it.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                        Take the 1 uptown one stop to 42nd St. Take the shuttle (S) to Grand Central, and then get the 4 uptown.
                        to much work... take the 2 train to grand concourse and hop on the 4 upstairs
                        follow me on twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by metsforever7515 View Post
                          No, they're renovating it.
                          thats gonna be alot of renovating. that place is more of a dump than shea was
                          follow me on twitter

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                            They sold the air space to the owners of MSG (BTW, speaking of which its a shame THAT rotunda and marque are lost to history as well) to build the new Garden on top of the railroad and subway platforms.
                            oh I know what they did, but don't really see how

Comment

thats gonna be alot of renovating. that place is more of a dump than shea was
                              I'm never really there so I can't sound off. I've only been there for a Bon Jovi concert and a Knicks game in 2005.

Comment

to much work... take the 2 train to grand concourse and hop on the 4 upstairs

If you are at Herald Square you might as well just take the D train straight shot.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X