Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
    Wow that's devastating. I'm a Met fan, but how many times I sat in those box seats watching Guidry, Munson, Jackson etc.
    Well, even back then those seats were outta my reach. Most of my games were in the 700 level at the Vet. It kinda steams me today when the ballboy hands a foul ball to a kid with a front-row seat - hasn't he gotten enough breaks already? Throw it to a kid in the upper deck, or the bleachers.

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
      Well, even back then those seats were outta my reach. Most of my games were in the 700 level at the Vet. It kinda steams me today when the ballboy hands a foul ball to a kid with a front-row seat - hasn't he gotten enough breaks already? Throw it to a kid in the upper deck, or the bleachers.
      Hi Tugger.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
        As an architect, and one who specialized in preservation and restoration, I can honestly and without hesitation say that what you just said is complete ******** and has no basis in truth.
        And I can honestly and without hesitation say that the last three words of your moniker are gospel.

Any "architect who specializes in preservation and restoration," who would consider a Model T with a makeover comparable to a new Lincoln should stick to lego blocks and model trains.

Reminds me of a video I saw on 9/11 where some "building expert" was assuring the reporter that the towers wouldn't collapse, just as they did.

As much as we love our old stadiums, they can't last forever, and I've yet to hear any self proclaimed structural expert of any kind suggest that a makeover would make such a facility on par with a brand new one, or that it would be viable for 60-100 years, as the new ones are.

Comment

It kinda steams me today when the ballboy hands a foul ball to a kid with a front-row seat - hasn't he gotten enough breaks already? Throw it to a kid in the upper deck, or the bleachers.
          X
          What's THAT guy doing?
          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
            Hi Tugger.
            Howdy! Two seconds ago I was about to respond to your post about your great granddad. The third baseman in that Cobb shot talks about it in my favorite baseball book ever, The Glory Of Their Times by Lawrence S. Ritter. A wonderful read on early baseball as told by the men who played it. When the book came out in the 60s, my brother wrote to a lot of those old timers and got back some great autographs. (even farther off topic, my grandad became a phils fan when he lived in a boarding house with a bunch of the players as a scottish immigrant in the 20s. But he was a tenor, not a photographer.)

Comment

Howdy! Two seconds ago I was about to respond to your post about your great granddad. The third baseman in that Cobb shot talks about it in my favorite baseball book ever, The Glory Of Their Times by Lawrence S. Ritter. A wonderful read on early baseball as told by the men who played it. When the book came out in the 60s, my brother wrote to a lot of those old timers and got back some great autographs. (even farther off topic, my grandad became a phils fan when he lived in a boarding house with a bunch of the players as a scottish immigrant in the 20s. But he was a tenor, not a photographer.)
              Yeah well there may be some dispute who took that Cobb pic, but no doubt Conlon took some of the greatest baseball card photos during the 20's. See

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives...n/gallery.html

But speaking of kids getting a ball in the box seats, did you read Mandrake's account of how nice it was when he had his daughter in the box seats at Citi and she got a ball from the ball boy? Pure magic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oddjob View Post
                Welcome to Yankee Stadium everybody....

Originally posted by BMF View Post
                wow i didnt realize how much room was behind home plate
                Post-renovation backstop distance was originally 80-84 ft?.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                  And I can honestly and without hesitation say that the last three words of your moniker are gospel.

Any "architect who specializes in preservation and restoration," who would consider a Model T with a makeover comparable to a new Lincoln should stick to lego blocks and model trains.

Reminds me of a video I saw on 9/11 where some "building expert" was assuring the reporter that the towers wouldn't collapse, just as they did.

As much as we love our old stadiums, they can't last forever, and I've yet to hear any self proclaimed structural expert of any kind suggest that a makeover would make such a facility on par with a brand new one, or that it would be viable for 60-100 years, as the new ones are.
                  Beyer Blinder Belle!

Look it Up.
                  Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

Buildings are not designed to last only 80-90 years. I have a feeling you have the typical American throw away attitude towards things. Very sad. The even funnier thing, that you also are apparently unaware of, is that historic buildings often are greener than modern buildings simply due to the high standard of materials used back than and the thick masonry walls. They don't build them like they use to is very true.

I've yet to hear any self proclaimed structural expert of any kind suggest that Yankee Stadium was not and would not be structurally sound for another 50 years. So there you go.

The indisputable fact of the matter is that Yankee Stadium is not being torn down because it was structurally and architecturally unsound. It is being torn down because the Steinbrenner family decided to replace it.
                    Last edited by applenut; 05-20-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                      Repeating this doesn't make it true

Do I need to post my Pre-Renovation and Post Renovation comparison photos again Gordo?

I know how much you adored them last year....
                      Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

By the way, your inflammatory comments in regards to this are not only uncalled for, but they also make you look foolish when faced with the facts....

Since you seem to be into the car analogy.....

http://www.lincvolt.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by toefer View Post
                          But then he mentioned how the outside would be exactly like the old stadium, so that when you walk up to the stadium, you see exactly what Babe Ruth saw.

Sure, it definitely looks a lot more like the old stadium than what RYS looked like, but to say it looks exactly the same is a bit of a stretch..
                          Are you sure that the new Yankee Stadium exterior looks more like the Pre-Renovated Yankee Stadium then Post renovated Yankee Stadium?
                          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• Newsday Video

Here's the link to a video on the Newsday website that shows some demo work. Not much new, but it's something.

http://www.newsday.com/video/?autoSt...clipId=3777190
                            First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
                              Post-renovation backstop distance was originally 80-84 ft?.
                              82ft. plate to backstop

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                                Are you sure that the new Yankee Stadium exterior looks more like the Pre-Renovated Yankee Stadium then Post renovated Yankee Stadium?
                                Well maybe not, if you get rid of the office thing that put in front of Gate 4. But for the most part yes, I think NYS looks more like OYS on the outside than RYS does, even if neither really looks a whole lot like it.

sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X