Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toefer View Post
    Well maybe not, if you get rid of the office thing that put in front of Gate 4. But for the most part yes, I think NYS looks more like OYS on the outside than RYS does, even if neither really looks a whole lot like it.

You can't be serious. The outside (facade) of RYS is the original facade of OYS.

It doesn't just "look like it."

It is it.

Comment

Well maybe not, if you get rid of the office thing that put in front of Gate 4. But for the most part yes, I think NYS looks more like OYS on the outside than RYS does, even if neither really looks a whole lot like it.
      http://www.savetheyankeegate2.com/our-plan.php

I'm just saying...

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by Oddjob View Post
        Welcome to Yankee Stadium everybody....

http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...-seat-removal/
        What is the indent behind home plate? i thought there were seats there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tino24 View Post
          What is the indent behind home plate? i thought there were seats there.
          What you're looking at is the original backstop from the renovation. At some point (I think 1988) it was moved forward slightly and a row of premium suites were put there.

If you look in that picture, you can see a dirt coloration, then the crushed red brick of the warning track, where as in the rest of the foul territory it is just straight to the warning track.

The picture below was taken on my tour of the Stadium on 3 November, 2008.

Richard

P.S. - I hadn't even realized they removed that wall. Thank you for pointing it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
            What you're looking at is the original backstop from the renovation. At some point (I think 1988) it was moved forward slightly and a row of premium suites were put there.

If you look in that picture, you can see a dirt coloration, then the crushed red brick of the warning track, where as in the rest of the foul territory it is just straight to the warning track.

The picture below was taken on my tour of the Stadium on 3 November, 2008.

Richard
            Thanks Richard. I was talking about right behind the NY emblem. It looks like it was a camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
              You can't be serious. The outside (facade) of RYS is the original facade of OYS.

It doesn't just "look like it."

It is it.
              I am amazed David. The outside facade of Yankee Stadium goes back to 1923.. Why would they argue if the New Stadiums facade looks more like the 1923 facade then the "renovated" facade when the renovated Yankee Stadium facade IS the 1923 original?

I think people honestly think that the entire Stadium was torn down.
              Renovated Yankee Stadium is 70-80 percent original. Right down to the CONCRETE (not limestone as Trost lied about) facade.
              Last edited by shaneslatts; 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
                I am amazed David. The outside facade of Yankee Stadium goes back to 1923.. Why would they argue if the New Stadiums facade looks more like the 1923 facade then the "renovated" facade when the renovated Yankee Stadium facade IS the 1923 original?

I think people honestly think that the entire Stadium was torn down.
                Renovated Yankee Stadium is 70-80 percent original. Right down to the CONCRETE (not limestone as Trost lied about) facade.
                Well to clear up all this, I never said the facade looked more like the real stadium. I was specifically referring to the main entrance, which is what Trost was also referring to (when showing a picture of the proposed Gate 4).

If you really think Gate 4 of RYS looks more like OYS than Gate 4 of NYS, I can't help you there.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by soup View Post
                  I just don't understand how Penn Station got torn down. It makes no sense
                  In a nutshell, old Penn Station became a victim of modernization.

Passenger rail traffic fell off dramatically for railroads after WW2. People took planes / jets for long distances. People drove cars for short distances. The Pennsylvania RR was losing money hand over fist.

In the mid-50's, the railroad sold an option for the air-rights between 7th and 8th avenue. It was originally going to be one big office complex. Eventually, when that fell through, the Garden came a calling, looking for a new home.

In return for the air-rights, the Pennsylvania RR got a 25% stake in MSG, and a free, smaller, air-conditioned modern station. They poured a concrete slab at street level, and tore everything down above the slab, then put the office tower and the Garden up. They finally tore down the perimeter walls of Old Penn in 1966 or 67. MSG opened in 1968.

You really can't blame the RR. It was trying to save itself, but it would need much more saving. It merged with the NY Central RR soon after, but to no avail. The new Penn-Central went bankrupt a few years later.

You have to remember, that nobody but a few wanted to save Penn Station in 1962. The Pennsy had to pay property tax on the station-and had to maintain it. It was filthy. The roof leaked. It was full of vending machines and advertisements. It looked like a tomb / mausoleum towards the end of its life. The RR could not compete with airlines because government subsidized roads and airports -- RR's had a much greater overhead. The RR had to pay property tax not only on the stations, but on all their rights of way. The bus companies had municipal bus stations to use, and made use of public roads.

Towards the end, it was better for the RR to divest itself of the station than to maintain it. The Station was private property. No public entity could tell the RR what to do with its station. They wanted the money that the 'renovation' would bring, along with the income from MSG Complex. The new station also promised lower maintenance costs.

1962 was a good time for the RR to get rid of Penn Station. People wanted new. They wanted cars, they wanted to travel by jet. They didn't want an old, soot covered building. Not until it was gone, and they saw its replacement, did they realize what they had lost. The NYC Landmarks Law was a result of the destruction of Old Penn. This law is the reason Grand Central still stands.

Penn Station got torn down because it's owners could tear it down.
                  20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Originally posted by BMF View Post
                    im gonna go with noooooooooooo. though it did look better before that rat infested garden was layed over it. who knows, maybe they'll rebuild if they move msg across the street. is that still happening?
                    The Dolan's are NOT going to tear down MSG. That would mean the end of their property tax break, and their city subsidized Con Ed bills.

They will renovate the existing Garden, to make it feel like the Rock in Newark. They were supposed to start doing electrical work this summer, but with the economy going down the tubes, this effort has been pushed to the right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
                      If you are at Herald Square you might as well just take the D train straight shot.
                      D train is a Concourse Express train, skips 161st rush hours, no? Need to change at 125 or 145 for a B, if you are going to take a D.

By the way, the D saves 5 minutes between Columbus Circle and 125th St, so if you are waiting for a train at 34th st / 6 av, just take the B if it comes first.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                        The indisputable fact of the matter is that Yankee Stadium is not being torn down because it was structurally and architecturally unsound. It is being torn down because the Steinbrenner family decided to replace it.
                        I will not argue the safety issues of RYS, but it's safe to assume that if it was to be pressed into another 50 years of service, the structure's integrity would be maintained.

Look, OYS/RYS is being razed because:
                        1. There is sufficient ROI on NYS to make it worth while. OYS/RYS makes money, but there is more money to be made with NYS.
                        2. There is not a revenue generating use for OYS/RYS now that you have NYS.

If the city didn't give the Yankees the park across the street, they could have moved (out of city) and they'd still tear down OYS/RYS.

Comment

• Okay, so call me crazy, but I have an idea that may give the fans a little bit of a way to say goodbye while getting to keep some of the ballpark at the same time. I say that fans start signing a section of wall at RYS, and when the stadium is demoed, the section with the signatures is saved, either to go to NYS, stay in Ruppert plaza, or get sent up to Cooperstown. This way the FANS get to have a stake in the old place, weather they can afford it or not. What do you guys think? I might just start signing it myself and hope that it catches on, get a viral movement going. so any thoughts?

Comment

• Say what????

[QUOTE=04golf;1523646]Jeter will be the last true Yankee IMO..... Being a Yankee is different from being a good ball player for the Yankees. .... Jeter carries himself well, almost like a Dimaggio..... A-rod will never be a Yankee as long as he tries to be..... Texiera is an example, he will never be a Yankee, he can be a good ballplayer for the Yankees but will never be a Yankee..... Im so happy I was able to watch Jeter from when he came up to present, no one carries them selves and is respected like Jeter...... He also played most of his career in the real Yankee Stadium, no other Yankee will be able to say they played in the same stadium as the greats. [QUOTE]

Need I point out that the logic in 04golf's post is mind-numbing.

-philliesfiend55-

Comment

• [QUOTE=philliesfiend55;1524822][QUOTE=04golf;1523646]Jeter will be the last true Yankee IMO..... Being a Yankee is different from being a good ball player for the Yankees. .... Jeter carries himself well, almost like a Dimaggio..... A-rod will never be a Yankee as long as he tries to be..... Texiera is an example, he will never be a Yankee, he can be a good ballplayer for the Yankees but will never be a Yankee..... Im so happy I was able to watch Jeter from when he came up to present, no one carries them selves and is respected like Jeter...... He also played most of his career in the real Yankee Stadium, no other Yankee will be able to say they played in the same stadium as the greats.

Need I point out that the logic in 04golf's post is mind-numbing.

-philliesfiend55-
                              No, I completely understand what he's saying and I completely agree. Even as a Met fan.
                              "You're killin' me Smalls!"

Comment

Well to clear up all this, I never said the facade looked more like the real stadium. I was specifically referring to the main entrance, which is what Trost was also referring to (when showing a picture of the proposed Gate 4).

If you really think Gate 4 of RYS looks more like OYS than Gate 4 of NYS, I can't help you there.
                                Trost wasn't referring to Gate 4, and neither were you. Read your own post.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X