X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear LzrdKng67,

I went to the new Yankee Stadium for the first time a few weeks ago. Yes, it is a beautiful ballpark. And I did feel right at home by feeling that I was in Yankee Stadium. I'm very grateful for that.

With respect to Heritage Field, I hope the local residents will have a wonderful park that they will be proud of, and fills their needs. They deserve it. I will always feel it is totally wrong to not leave any shred of the original Yankee Stadium standing as a monument. It was one of the most historical buildings in America, and not just for baseball. Having a part of Yankee Stadium at Heritage Field would have made the park extra special instead of its being just another park. And baseball and history fans would have been able to pay their respects to the greatest and most historical stadium in the history of the United States.

-Mike Wagner

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    Originally posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    I would LOVE to know (and none of us will ever know) if it was ever up for discussion to totally renovate the old Stadium and put what's standing now there. Let me answer another question with a question. Would everyone's stance on this subject lessen when we finally have Heritage Field up and running?

I have moved on, and am very, very happy with the jewel that replaced RENOVATED YS...

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    I would LOVE to know (and none of us will ever know) if it was ever up for discussion to totally renovate the old Stadium and put what's standing now there. Let me answer another question with a question. Would everyone's stance on this subject lessen when we finally have Heritage Field up and running?
    I hated the fact that the Yankees abandoned Yankee Stadium with no thought of another renovation. Early on when HOK released plans for the retractable roof Stadium in Macombs Dam Park in late 2001, HOK was asked if Yankee Stadium could be renovated. There reply was the Yankees never asked us for a renovation plan.

The City and the Yankees had a second chance at preserving history by Saving Gate 2. The Gate should have been saved. The best thing about Heritage Field will be the display of the concrete frieze and wide open ballfields for the Bronx Community.

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
    As Bartyles and Jaymes would say, "Thank you for your support."

For the amount of computing I do, I can't justify a flat panel until the CRT's break. Call me cheap. Call me whatever you want. I don't care. What I have is good enough for me.

But in way of color quality? I don't recognize that much of a difference between CRTs and the flat panels I have used.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    The reason the new tech TVs look so much more "vibrant" is the factory settings are all jacked up! The contrast, the sharpness, the color temp(gray scale) are all too high, yet most consumers leave them that way. I intentionally find a seat in a restaurant that is as far from the TVs as possible because the damn things look like the lights on carnival rides!! These settings are not only innaccurate and don't reflect whe you'd see at a ballgame in person, they...

#1. Are bad to look at for more than a half-hour duration. Read: Eyestrain.

#2. They cause the set to consume more energy(as did the factory settings for tube TVs)

#3. They will run the set down faster.

Get a calibration DVD and follow the instructions to get the basic settings at least where they belong. There are standards for how professional broadcast monitors have to look so tha engineers see exactly what they're passing on to the TX'er, and those standards can help your monitor or TV look just as correct.

Either route you choose, I agree with you Doug. I have a pair of CRT in my apartment and both are calibrated and allow me to see things the way they were meant to be. Calibration has prolonged the life of these "tubes" to the point they may even outlast LCD and LED TVS until something else comes out. LOL!

The moral of this? Don't upgrade just to upgrade - it makes you ZERO dollars, and makes some corporation richer.
    Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dstoffa
    replied
    Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    To add to your point. I think the Mets would have tried everything in their power to block the Yankees from playing at Shea. Can you imagine the Yankees selling out Shea every night, 56,000+, while the Mets struggle to fill their brand new ballpark, with 30,000 people in attendance? That is a PR nightmare waiting to happen for the Mets. It would have been an incredibly interesting few years if it actually happened though!
    I don't think it would even get past the 'possibility' stage, simply because it would not be safe.

All that said, it indeed would be a PR disaster, for reasons you state.

Leave a comment:

• locke40
    replied
    Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
    While they couldn't have played at Shea, the reason isn't parking. The Mets dealt with two years of lost parking spaces during the construction of CitiField, so parking should not be a consideration. However, I am not sure that they could have opened CitiField with Shea still in use, as Citi's entire third base side, and to Rotunda areas, would be blocked. I am certain the Fire Department would want their wide fire lanes, and that kills any hope of playing at Shea with Citi still standing.

Cheers!
    -Doug
    To add to your point. I think the Mets would have tried everything in their power to block the Yankees from playing at Shea. Can you imagine the Yankees selling out Shea every night, 56,000+, while the Mets struggle to fill their brand new ballpark, with 30,000 people in attendance? That is a PR nightmare waiting to happen for the Mets. It would have been an incredibly interesting few years if it actually happened though!

Leave a comment:

• dstoffa
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    They could not have played in Shea. They needed the parking lot space for Citi. They would have had to play in Shea or Citi( depending on when they wanted to start the renovation) while OYS was under renovations much like the 70's. You're right NYS would not fit on the site of OYS. The plot of land where NYS is a bigger plot.
    While they couldn't have played at Shea, the reason isn't parking. The Mets dealt with two years of lost parking spaces during the construction of CitiField, so parking should not be a consideration. However, I am not sure that they could have opened CitiField with Shea still in use, as Citi's entire third base side, and to Rotunda areas, would be blocked. I am certain the Fire Department would want their wide fire lanes, and that kills any hope of playing at Shea with Citi still standing.

Cheers!
    -Doug

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    So let me understand this. We would have NO problem with what was built on the other side of 161st street if it was built on the site of the old Stadium. Right?
    I would have a problem with it. It may have been built on the same site, but you're still tearing the down the historic structure.

I don't know if that could have happened logistically. Could they have played in an abandoned Shea Stadium while they gutted and rebuilt Yankee Stadium? Also I don't think the NYS structure itself could have fit on the site of the old Stadium.
    They could not have played in Shea. They needed the parking lot space for Citi. They would have had to play in Shea or Citi( depending on when they wanted to start the renovation) while OYS was under renovations much like the 70's. You're right NYS would not fit on the site of OYS. The plot of land where NYS is a bigger plot.

HOK has stated that they were never approached about doing a renovation. Steinbrenner wanted a new stadium. He did not entertain another renovation.

Leave a comment:

• dstoffa
    replied
    Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    I admire that you live against the grain, and I too wish that the Old Yankee Stadium was still standing. However, you really should get a new monitor! The new flat screen, LCDs, are amazing. The CRT monitors don't have the color and vibrance of the new monitors. Other than that, I am in complete agreement with you.
    As Bartyles and Jaymes would say, "Thank you for your support."

For the amount of computing I do, I can't justify a flat panel until the CRT's break. Call me cheap. Call me whatever you want. I don't care. What I have is good enough for me.

But in way of color quality? I don't recognize that much of a difference between CRTs and the flat panels I have used.

Cheers!
    -Doug

Leave a comment:

• Jim Vaz
    replied
    Does anyone know whats going on with the old site right now? I see a lot of discussions on this thread but does anyone know whats happening?
    Is anything built yet?
    is it just dirt, have they laid grass?
    Are any structures up yet?
    Does anyone have pictures?

Am I asking too much?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• LizrdKng67
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 04golf
    replied
    It seems to me from the pictures of OYS that the concourses on the field level and lodge were open. But during the renovation they cinderblocked the entire stadium up. If they could have re opened the concourses to the field it would have been the same concept that they wanted in a new stadium. The Yankees have to much pride to play at shea, what if they won the world series at shea, I dont think they would have liked it. But RYS is dust so not much to debate about.

Leave a comment:

• LizrdKng67
    replied
    I don't know if that could have happened logistically. Could they have played in an abandoned Shea Stadium while they gutted and rebuilt Yankee Stadium? Also I don't think the NYS structure itself could have fit on the site of the old Stadium.

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    So let me understand this. We would have NO problem with what was built on the other side of 161st street if it was built on the site of the old Stadium. Right?
    I don't think I would have had NO problem with it, (I still would have preferred a renovation) but being on the same site as the old stadium would have at least softened the blow. But at that point the team would have needed to play elswhere while the old stadium was torn down and the new one was put up, so you might as well have just done an extensive renovation.

Leave a comment:

• LizrdKng67
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X