Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
    I think the issue with the NYC landmarking decisions (especially YS) is that too much emphsis is put on the architectural and not enough on the historic.

If you look at the US Capitol just before the Civil War you wouldn't recognize it. The current building looks very different the original (but like OYS vs RYS, notice how you can see where things used to be ), yet no one debates its significance.
    During Truman's administration the White House was completely gutted. Completely. Only the outer walls were preserved. A new, steel framework was constructed to support both the walls and a newly constructed interior.

Not one bit of the White House, except the exterior walls, is original.

Not one pre-Truman President ever trod a current White House floor, or slept in a current White House bedroom, or...

Lincoln never set foot in the Lincoln Bedroom.

Think it's OK to tear the White House down and build a new one across the street?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
      During Truman's administration the White House was completely gutted. Completely. Only the outer walls were preserved. A new, steel framework was constructed to support both the walls and a newly constructed interior.

Not one pre-Truman President ever trod a current White House floor, or slept in a current White House bedroom, or...

Lincoln never set foot in the Lincoln Bedroom.

Think it's OK to tear the White House down and build a new one across the street?
      Yea why not. As tax payers we pay for every other wasteful thing, mine as well build Obama and futures presidents a new palace. I just they don't go ahead with some plan to build a moat where ONLY the special vips and dignitaries can go, pricing out the common politician!
      Last edited by Jim Vaz; 05-20-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
        Yea why not. We as tax payers pay for every other wasteful thing, mine as well build Obama and futures presidents a new palace
        complete with Hard Barack Cafe

Comment

• Originally posted by soup View Post
          complete with Hard Barack Cafe
          lol!

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
            I don't have to read minds. All I have to do is read.

Here's what you wrote:

"But for the most part yes, I think NYS looks more like OYS on the outside than RYS does, even if neither really looks a whole lot like it."

Care to explain to me how I'm misinterpreting your words "NYS looks more like OYS on the outside than RYS does"?

Seems pretty unambiguous to me.
            I don't want to feed the troll, but I'll oblige just this one time.

In front of RYS there's this oval shaped office thing, and a huge bat thing. In front of NYS there isn't.

There you go. Hope that makes sense. Since some people are visual learners, here's a picture:

But by all means, if you have a picture of OYS that looks like that, I'm quite interested in seeing it.

I could dig up the exact Trost quote, but I don't feel like turning my DVD player one. To paraphrase, I think it was something like "we're restoring Gate 4, blah blah blah, so you'll see what Babe Ruth saw when he came to the stadium, blah blah blah".

Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post

I'm pretty sure the Resolute Desk is still around, unless you're discounting that for being modified.
            Last edited by toefer; 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by toefer View Post
              I don't want to feed the troll, but I'll oblige just this one time.

In RYS there's this oval shaped office thing, and a huge bat thing. In NYS there aren't.

There you go. Hope that makes sense. Since some people are visual learners, here's a picture:

But by all means, if you have a picture of OYS that looks like that, I'm quite interested in seeing it.

I could dig up the exact Trost quote, but I don't feel like turning my DVD player one. To paraphrase, I think it was something like "we're restoring Gate 4, blah blah blah, so you'll see what Babe Ruth saw when he came to the stadium, blah blah blah".
              Lovely picture. Really dig the colored arrows and circles.

Of course, it has nothing at all to do with what you said.

Try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by toefer View Post
                I'm pretty sure the Resolute Desk is still around, unless you're discounting that for being modified.
                You consider a piece of furniture to be part of the building?

(I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

Comment

• Here's a photo of the White House interior taken during the "renovation."

It's pretty clear that there's absolutely nothing within the walls but a new steel frame.

Is it still the White House?

Comment

• BTW, toe. Have you ever even seen the pre-renovation Stadium?

I thought not.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                        Has the biggest teeth in the land. But the building has to be designated a landmark first. After the 70's renovation (destruction) IMO it didn't really qualify anymore as a landmark, sorry to say
                        Actually that is not correct. The NYC Landmarks Commission really has no teeth anymore and never steps up to a fight. It's the same reason the Hotel Pennsylvania... the last remaining piece of Old Penn Station, the building that virtually created the preservation movement in America, is scheduled to be torn down.

The NYC Landmarks Commission has more interest in preserving run down factories and tenements in Brooklyn than in buildings where significant developer and city money comes into play.

Renovations actually don't have a major impact on whether the buildings qualify for landmark status, and your logic is somewhat flawed as in most cases it is the NYC Landmarks Commission that declares a building a local (city) landmark, far before the National Register determines whether it is a National Landmark.

In this instance we have two agencies looking the other way.... the NYC Landmarks Commission which has had terrible judgment the last decade and the National Trust for Historic Preservation which has a major issue with neglecting certain types of buildings and also not ever going for a fight where significant money is in play.

The latest preservation trend has a major problem of only looking at what the board members consider "architectural merit" instead of historical merit. It's a shame and it is diminishing preservation in America which was already neglected.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                          Actually that is not correct. The NYC Landmarks Commission really has no teeth anymore and never steps up to a fight. It's the same reason the Hotel Pennsylvania... the last remaining piece of Old Penn Station, the building that virtually created the preservation movement in America, is scheduled to be torn down.

The NYC Landmarks Commission has more interest in preserving run down factories and tenements in Brooklyn than in buildings where significant developer and city money comes into play.

Renovations actually don't have a major impact on whether the buildings qualify for landmark status, and your logic is somewhat flawed as in most cases it is the NYC Landmarks Commission that declares a building a local (city) landmark, far before the National Register determines whether it is a National Landmark.

In this instance we have two agencies looking the other way.... the NYC Landmarks Commission which has had terrible judgment the last decade and the National Trust for Historic Preservation which has a major issue with neglecting certain types of buildings and also not ever going for a fight where significant money is in play.

The latest preservation trend has a major problem of only looking at what the board members consider "architectural merit" instead of historical merit. It's a shame and it is diminishing preservation in America which was already neglected.
                          Don't pay any attention to him concerning Landmarks.....

The reality is that any building in NYC that is 30 years or older is eligible for Landmark status...So if the (Corrupt) Landmarks Preservation Commission believes that the renovation altered the appearance of the original 1923 building then they could have reviewed the 1976 Post Renovation building in 2006.
                          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• nothing amazing, but a video of the seat removal

http://www.newsday.com/video/?autoSt...clipId=3777190

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                              Don't pay any attention to him concerning Landmarks.....

The reality is that any building in NYC that is 30 years or older is eligible for Landmark status...So if the (Corrupt) Landmarks Preservation Commission believes that the renovation altered the appearance of the original 1923 building then they could have reviewed the 1976 Post Renovation building in 2006.
                              And that does not matter if they were really considering historical significance. By the way - 1) it was still being used as a baseball stadium - it's not like it was converted into a shopping mall; 2) it is still instantly recognizable as Yankee Stadium.

Another by the way - what is the circled area? I originally thought that was where they were going to put the large subwoofers but now it looks its a security station (complete with tinted glass).

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
                                Doesn't sound like the NYC Landmarks Law has much teeth to it. Otherwise...this thread wouldn't exist.
                                Well, the CITY owns Yankee Stadium. And I am almost certain that people would argue, "This is NOT the Original Yankee Stadium, therefore, it is not worth preserving." And I really don't want to turn this into a strawman argument.

Landmark status would have placed serious constraints on the ability to renovate the existing structure.
                                20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X