Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by toefer View Post
    I don't want to feed the troll, but I'll oblige just this one time.

In front of RYS there's this oval shaped office thing, and a huge bat thing. In front of NYS there isn't.

I could dig up the exact Trost quote, but I don't feel like turning my DVD player one. To paraphrase, I think it was something like "we're restoring Gate 4, blah blah blah, so you'll see what Babe Ruth saw when he came to the stadium, blah blah blah".
    Yeah we all get the escalator tower thing. The counter arguement is that Gate 4 of NYS looks sort of like the original gate - but not exactly - which is what Trost implies.

Go to Gate 2 of RYS and there you will find "exactly."

Comment

• Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
      During Truman's administration the White House was completely gutted. Completely. Only the outer walls were preserved. A new, steel framework was constructed to support both the walls and a newly constructed interior.

Not one bit of the White House, except the exterior walls, is original.

Not one pre-Truman President ever trod a current White House floor, or slept in a current White House bedroom, or...

Lincoln never set foot in the Lincoln Bedroom.

Think it's OK to tear the White House down and build a new one across the street?
      I would have no problem if they decided to build a new White House. Times change and things get replaced, that's the way of the world.
      http://nyposts.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by SilentKiller View Post
        I would have no problem if they decided to build a new White House. Times change and things get replaced, that's the way of the world.
        Good idea.

And while we're at it, we can empty out the museums. Who needs any of that old crap, anyway?

Comment

Here's a photo of the White House interior taken during the "renovation."

It's pretty clear that there's absolutely nothing within the walls but a new steel frame.

Is it still the White House?
          And wasn't it Trumans daughters piano leg falling through the floor that prompted that administration to rebuild the white house?

Comment

• Site update.

http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...-seat-removal/

Comment

During Truman's administration the White House was completely gutted. Completely. Only the outer walls were preserved. A new, steel framework was constructed to support both the walls and a newly constructed interior.

Not one bit of the White House, except the exterior walls, is original.
              And even the White House exterior walls were extensively underpinned during the late 1940s reconstruction.

Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
              And wasn't it Trumans daughters piano leg falling through the floor that prompted that administration to rebuild the white house?
              That is the catchy story line from the time. I suspect that the Truman Administration wanted to defuse resentment against the cost of the rebuilding project, however. I believe that the problems with the building's structure was already apparent by the time of the piano incident. Just prior to the White House being gutted, an engineer was quoted with words to the effect that he was surprised that the building hadn't already collapsed and it was still standing merely from habit.

Current interior of the White House is the third version, by the way. British burned the original 1800 structure in 1814. Interior gutted then also. 1940s renovation uncovered some evidence of that fire.

And to tie this into our YS Demo thread, New York and the Yanks could have learned from the two White House restorations and stayed with the 1923 basis, both during the 1970s and now, the nice aspects of the new stadium notwithstanding.

Cubs/Red Sox have proven that this approach is tenable despite having older buildings with smaller footprints than Yankee Stadium. Red Sox have literally “thought outside the box” with their shrewd acquisition of neighboring structures which are now incorporated into a greater Fenway complex.

Regards,
              Mark

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                Yeah we all get the escalator tower thing. The counter arguement is that Gate 4 of NYS looks sort of like the original gate - but not exactly - which is what Trost implies.

Go to Gate 2 of RYS and there you will find "exactly."
                I agree with that, which is why I said it looks "more" like it, but still not exactly like it (I forget the words of my original post, but it's along those lines, and it was clear by what I said that I don't think NYS looks exactly like OYS), but in the meantime I got caught up in debating with Mr. Illiterate.

Originally posted by David Atkatz View Post
                BTW, toe. Have you ever even seen the pre-renovation Stadium?

I thought not.
                Nope, but I'm still waiting on the 1920's-era photo of the escalator tower that you seem to think exists.

BTW, Davy, have you seen the pre-renovated White House?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mitch300 View Post
                  Exactly. That's the problem though. People bitch about the prices but still fork over the money. If no one bought the stuff the prices would drop big time. I hate the greedy Steiners.
                  The price is what people are willing to pay. PERIOD!!!!!!
                  Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralphw View Post
                    that really is sickening

these people turn my stomach

Looks like Mr Steiner is pretty proud of himself for his hand in this
                    I sort of look at it this way:

I'm never going to meet Derek Jeter and have a baseball with me if I ever did. If he was at a show signing for a couple hundred bucks, I may go. Otherwise I would never get to meet him and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he signed my baseball.

It's the same with the stadium memorabilia. Everybody wants it, so the price goes up. Nobody is going to hand these pieces to us so we have to go and pay for it.

Supply and demand. Easy concept. They gave the old Yankee Stadium seats away practically because nobody was clambering for them, now they are!!!!
                    Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

No.

And that's one of the reasons I'm not preaching that the White House was

(a) totally destroyed, or
                      (b) lost all its charm, or
                      (c) lost all its historical significance, or
                      (d) all of the above

when it was renovated.

To a very large degree, it's people who never set eyes on "OYS" (like you) who preach then loudest that the original Stadium was "lost" in 1973.

Comment

Or have you BEEN IN the pre-renovated White House?

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post
                          Speaking of which, i'm taking the train to the game Thursday, (something I rarely do). I'm taking the LIRR into Penn. Whats the best way to get to the Stadium? I was planning to walk over to Herald Sq and take the B or D up. Any better suggestions? Thanks.
                          That's how I go when I take my daughter. I go downstairs inside the Manhattan Mall. One other thing. Follow all the Yankee fans. I still don't know exactly what train stops where and when. The D is the express, I know that. I think!!!!
                          Last edited by cgcoyne2; 05-21-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                            Or have you BEEN IN the pre-renovated White House?
                            Is there a point you're attempting to make, or is this a typical jjj post?

Comment

• People are constantly updating and modernizing their homes and businesses.
                              It's the same with Yankee Stadium. It's stood at 161st Street and River Avenue since 1923. Some things are the same and some things are different about it, just as homes and businesses that undergo a refurbishing.

If John Smith has lived at 1203 North Street for 50 years, and has modernized his house in 1980 and 2004, it's still John Smith's home. His friends, neighbors, and relatives know it. Some things were changed and some things are different. It's still at the same location.

The same with Yankee Stadium. No, it's not exactly the same as it was in 1923,as we all know, but IT IS STILL YANKEE STADIUM, where Babe Ruth and our other heroes have played. To deny that it is Yankee Stadium is wrong and just plain STUPID!!!!!!!

Just as the White House, Statue of Liberty, Old Ironsides, Fenway Park, and other national monuments have received extensive modernizations, so has Yankee Stadium. Even so, we all love and respect, and know what these icons are. The same for Yankee Stadium.

I am damn sick and tired of this stupid nitpicking. Even a moron knows that Yankee Stadium is Yankee Stadium, changes and all.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                                The same with Yankee Stadium. No, it's not exactly the same as it was in 1923,as we all know, but IT IS STILL YANKEE STADIUM, where Babe Ruth and our other heroes have played. To deny that it is Yankee Stadium is wrong and just plain STUPID!!!!!!!
                                Disagree 100%. They stripped all the character from the old 1923 stadium and gutted it. No more ornamental copper, no more fine detail. Ripped the roof off, added junk 70ies design. The Stadium Babe Ruth played in disappeared in the 70ies, you can argue until you're blue in the face that won't bring back what they destroyed. Babe Ruth did NOT play in the stadium that currently stands.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X