Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
    Uhh... who on Earth are you referring to?
    Roger Clemens! I have this dyslexia thing where I always forget which Texas MLB team he played/is playing on.

    Either way he's a suitcase just like Alex Rodriguez.
    RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

    NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

    RYS: "No, I am your father..."

    NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

    RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

    Comment


    • New Photos

      Where are photos of the demolition? Doesn't anyone go to that neighborhood anymore?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
        Disagree 100%. They stripped all the character from the old 1923 stadium and gutted it. No more ornamental copper, no more fine detail. Ripped the roof off, added junk 70ies design. The Stadium Babe Ruth played in disappeared in the 70ies, you can argue until you're blue in the face that won't bring back what they destroyed. Babe Ruth did NOT play in the stadium that currently stands.

        Gordo, you are correct ONLY in reference to the actual playing field. By saying "Stadium" you need to be more specific. 70% of the original exterior walls still remain(30% was removed for those hideous escalator towers and some along the top when the new Tier level concourse was added as a counter weight for the column-less upper deck).

        Don't fall to the dark side, Gecko - the "YS was completely razed in the 70s and rebuilt" crowd!
        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

        NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

        RYS: "No, I am your father..."

        NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

        RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Curly SB View Post
          Where are photos of the demolition? Doesn't anyone go to that neighborhood anymore?
          Wait'll late June or July. THEN there will be something to take photos of!! :dismay: :dismay:
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

          NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

          RYS: "No, I am your father..."

          NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

          RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
            Commodore Hotel before Donald Trump:


            Commodore Hotel Today:



            Before could have been landmarked, today no one would ever consider it
            Based on these pictures it looks like the new design has upgraded the hotel so that's a positive. From an architectural standpoint it's hard to find anyone who believes the new stadium is an aesthetic upgrade over the original. Sure, the new stadium doesn't have "hideous escalators," but it misses the boat on just about everything else. Despite the Yankee hot streak and the fact that the stadium isn't getting killed daily in the press because of it, I must say this stadium hasn't grown on me or some of its detractors because 43 thousand seems to be a very common attendance figure on weeknights. I guess we can kiss all those 4 million attendance figures goodbye.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Curly SB View Post
              Where are photos of the demolition? Doesn't anyone go to that neighborhood anymore?
              I'll try to get some photos this Saturday, but I doubt much has changed
              sigpic

              Comment


              • Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                We have a landmark here in NJ that is literally A ROCK. Washington Rock.


                "I got a rock..." h
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

                Comment


                • Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                  Roger Clemens! I have this dyslexia thing where I always forget which Texas MLB team he played/is playing on.

                  Either way he's a suitcase just like Alex Rodriguez.
                  Ahhh... now it makes sense.

                  I was trying to think of Yankees not named A-Rod who had played for the Rangers - only Tex and Pudge (who was only a Yankee for 2 months or so) came to mind.

                  Still, by the end of his career, A-Rod will have played considerably more years here than he played with either the Rangers or the Mariners. He'll go into the Hall as a Yankee.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
                    Ahhh... now it makes sense.

                    I was trying to think of Yankees not named A-Rod who had played for the Rangers - only Tex and Pudge (who was only a Yankee for 2 months or so) came to mind.

                    Still, by the end of his career, A-Rod will have played considerably more years here than he played with either the Rangers or the Mariners. He'll go into the Hall as a Yankee.
                    I actually thought he was referring to Teixeira, because he makes weird faces when batting, among other times.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                      Disagree 100%. They stripped all the character from the old 1923 stadium and gutted it. No more ornamental copper, no more fine detail. Ripped the roof off, added junk 70ies design. The Stadium Babe Ruth played in disappeared in the 70ies, you can argue until you're blue in the face that won't bring back what they destroyed. Babe Ruth did NOT play in the stadium that currently stands.
                      Lol... I think a lot of people here make OYS out to be something it wasn't. Other than the frieze, and the exterior seals and balconies, the structure was a municipal building that really wasn't built with an incredible amount of ornamentation and fine detail. Heck, the upper deck concourse was just catwalks.

                      I think you are missing the point.

                      Comment


                      • 1923-2008

                        I did go to 1 game in 'old' yankee stadium, but I was too young to appreciate it. So for people like me, the 1976-2008 stadium IS 'YANKEE STADIUM'. That's why I love it, and defend it, and consider it 'the real deal', and it doesn't matter to me what anyone's opinion is, it's the only one I've known for 32 years.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by GordonGecko View Post
                          Commodore Hotel before Donald Trump:


                          Commodore Hotel Today:



                          Before could have been landmarked, today no one would ever consider it
                          You can't be serious Gordo.....I think my Yankee Stadium comparison photos are coming shortly.....

                          When the City of Detroit placed aluminum siding over the historic exterior features of Tiger Stadium did that chnage the fact that it was still Tiger Stadium?
                          Or replace the old wooden seats with plastic seats for that matter.
                          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

                          Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

                          Comment


                          • Stadium Air Comparison
                            Attached Files
                            Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

                            Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                              Stadium Air Comparison
                              Yup. You can clearly see that obviously, OYS is a totaly different structrure the RYS. In 1973-1975, the entire Stadium was almost 100 percent totaly demolished. I was in OYS before they totaly demolished it, and when I went back in 1976, it looked just like Riverfront, or the Vet. By looking at the open air phots, its obvious that so much of the stadium was lost, that there is no way it could qualify for landmark status.

                              Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. ANYONE can see that 'RYS' is Yankee Stadium.
                              I refuse to point out the obvious. If folks want to imagine that "RYS" is not appx 80% original 1923 Yankee Stadium, then what can I say. I have been in both. Many times. What is being demolished is 80 percent 1923 Yankee Stadium.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
                                Yup. You can clearly see that obviously, OYS is a totaly different structrure the RYS. In 1973-1975, the entire Stadium was almost 100 percent totaly demolished. I was in OYS before they totaly demolished it, and when I went back in 1976, it looked just like Riverfront, or the Vet. By looking at the open air phots, its obvious that so much of the stadium was lost, that there is no way it could qualify for landmark status.

                                Obviously, I'm being sarcastic. ANYONE can see that 'RYS' is Yankee Stadium.
                                I refuse to point out the obvious. If folks want to imagine that "RYS" is not appx 80% original 1923 Yankee Stadium, then what can I say. I have been in both. Many times. What is being demolished is 80 percent 1923 Yankee Stadium.
                                They lowered the field, moved the dugouts, lengthened the upper deck, brought the fenses in, and other things, but it was Yankee Stadium before and after. The biggest problem is that they removed the frieze around the upper deck -- at least that is back in the new place, and it looks darn good, even if less ornate than the original.

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X