Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
    how long ago was it that that sign actually lit up during a game? Looks like a relic from the 1970s...
    It actually used to be a Budweiser sign back in the late 90's. I kinda liked it when it was lit up-even though it was in the batters eye.
    ..."I might have been given a bad break, but I've got an awful lot to live for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Gehrig27 View Post
      It actually used to be a Budweiser sign back in the late 90's. I kinda liked it when it was lit up-even though it was in the batters eye.
      I'm pretty sure when it first reopened, it was a Panasonic sign. Of course, you all remember "Reggievision", right?

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
        I'm pretty sure when it first reopened, it was a Panasonic sign. Of course, you all remember "Reggievision", right?

wow is that what a VCR looked like back then?

That thing looks HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
          wow is that what a VCR looked like back then?

That thing looks HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE
          Haha. I like that it's bigger than the TV.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post

Yes - the Panasonic sign was there first.

Also, they had a Reggievision billboard on the helix into the Lincoln Tunnel. When he later signed with the Angels, they update the billboard - that was painful to see on a regular basis.

Comment

• Heartbreaking to lose a stadium. It will be very hard to muster the support to save Yankee Stadium. The Ambassador Hotel in LA, had movie stars and film industry people with all kinds of money trying to save it to no avail.

The politicians promised to save the Ambassador pantry that Robert Kennedy was assassinated in and the famous Cocoanut Grove and incorporate them into the school being constructed on the site. As soon as they obtained approvals to go ahead they promply got rid of both. What did they build? a school for 4,000 students in a tough area of LA. That's real smart.

Now that there is a plan formulating to save Gate 2 don't be surprised if it is the first thing to go. They smashed up the benches from the 1964 World's Fair around Shea with prior notice of their locations and without a second thought.

I hope they save Gate 2. In a town that loves baseball so much it is the right thing to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary Ellen View Post
                Heartbreaking to lose a stadium. It will be very hard to muster the support to save Yankee Stadium. The Ambassador Hotel in LA, had movie stars and film industry people with all kinds of money trying to save it to no avail.

The politicians promised to save the Ambassador pantry that Robert Kennedy was assassinated in and the famous Cocoanut Grove and incorporate them into the school being constructed on the site. As soon as they obtained approvals to go ahead they promply got rid of both. What did they build? a school for 4,000 students in a tough area of LA. That's real smart.

Now that there is a plan formulating to save Gate 2 don't be surprised if it is the first thing to go. They smashed up the benches from the 1964 World's Fair around Shea with prior notice of their locations and without a second thought.

I hope they save Gate 2. In a town that loves baseball so much it is the right thing to do.
                Unfortunately, at this point, I think the wisest course of action would be to attempt to persuade the Yankees and the NYC Parks Dept to simply maintain the original field dimensions and outfield wall and possibly dugouts.... and to replace the grass and dirt, and allow NYC children of all ages to live the dream of playing in the same spot as Yankee greats. Not enough people care about the building, there is too much momentum against it, and too much money involved, but the stupidity of tearing up the field to replace it with 3 softball fields lacks intelligence. Restore the field and outfield walls, have the Yankees take care of their community and maintain that field as if it were their own, and allow schools and little leagues to play on it throughout the year. Even without the building, that field will stand on its own. The more small features they can keep around it (walls, dugouts, etc) the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by applenut View Post
                  Unfortunately, at this point, I think the wisest course of action would be to attempt to persuade the Yankees and the NYC Parks Dept to simply maintain the original field dimensions and outfield wall and possibly dugouts.... and to replace the grass and dirt, and allow NYC children of all ages to live the dream of playing in the same spot as Yankee greats. Not enough people care about the building, there is too much momentum against it, and too much money involved, but the stupidity of tearing up the field to replace it with 3 softball fields lacks intelligence. Restore the field and outfield walls, have the Yankees take care of their community and maintain that field as if it were their own, and allow schools and little leagues to play on it throughout the year. Even without the building, that field will stand on its own. The more small features they can keep around it (walls, dugouts, etc) the better.
                  I believe the reason for the THREE fields is because that is how many were lost to the land where NYS is now located. Personally, why they feel compelled to jam three of them on the site of OYS is beyond me. Should just be one large field, as it is now with one main diamond. If a second pick up game happens to take place, they can play in one corner of the main field. Lets face it, with today's youth, how often would there REALLY be TWO baseball games going on anyway? My guess is not that often. If you left the rest of the field grass, kids (& adults) who are not into baseball could do other things out there .... football, soccer, jogging, etc. The plans may have been updated (?), but the early renditions of Heritage Field didn't even have the original OYS diamond in the same place! If you must jam three baseball diamonds on that track of land and not preserve a single brick from the original building .... are we asking TOO much that you can't figure out a way to at least leave the original infield diamond in place, so that future Yankee & baseball fans can run the 'same bases" in the same location as the greats of the game once did?

I don't think we're asking the moon here?
                  I would think that would have been a no-brainer, but when NYC is involved, nothing suprises me!
                  ------------------------------------------
                  www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                  www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                  www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• Just wondering how the progress on the Demo has been lately??? after watching shea go down all winter i guess i kinda expect pics a bit more often ;] one thing i will say, this is where it is going to start hurting, once they start taking the outside apart its gonna hurt, probably moreso for yankee stadium b/c it was a national icon...btw this is coming from a met fan so yes i will suck up my pride and say that i kinda feel bad for the yankee fans who are losing a home but look on the bright side...atleast you got a new bandbox =]
                    LETS GO METS, JETS, AND KNICKS!!!!
                    we're METS FANS, what ever happened to YA GOTTA BELIEVE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bpt'sbiggestmetsfan1116 View Post
                      Just wondering how the progress on the Demo has been lately??? after watching shea go down all winter i guess i kinda expect pics a bit more often ;]
                      Well, if I was a Weisenheimer - which I'm not - I'd say that if you "expect" more pictures, maybe you should go take 'em yourself.

In reality, it appears that the only dramatic changes going on right now are the removal of the seats, which is not something that can easily be photographed from the outside. Even from the last row of the new stadium, you can only get so much of the interior - I know this from experience. The best vantage point would be either from the top of the Bronx County Courthouse or from one of the apartment buildings on Gerard Avenue.

Other than that, it's the erecting of the plywood fencing around the perimeter of the ballpark. And it doesn't appear that there will be too many "gaps" in the fence, as there were at Shea, to allow for photographers to "peek through."

It's when they actually begin physically demolishing the building itself that the pictures will start coming. I just wonder if there will be a contingent of Baseball Fever regulars who will be able to document the demolition of Yankee Stadium the way myself and others were able to do Shea.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• field

Originally posted by applenut View Post
                        Great idea. Aren't they going to have to fill in the field 5 feet after everything else is gone, because it was lowered 5 feet in 1975?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bpt'sbiggestmetsfan1116 View Post
                          Just wondering how the progress on the Demo has been lately??? after watching shea go down all winter i guess i kinda expect pics a bit more often ;] one thing i will say, this is where it is going to start hurting, once they start taking the outside apart its gonna hurt, probably moreso for yankee stadium b/c it was a national icon...btw this is coming from a met fan so yes i will suck up my pride and say that i kinda feel bad for the yankee fans who are losing a home but look on the bright side...atleast you got a new bandbox =]
                          Its all right HERE buddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by willpryce1 View Post
                            Great idea. Aren't they going to have to fill in the field 5 feet after everything else is gone, because it was lowered 5 feet in 1975?
                            Well, considering that they have already removed the field, removed the lower deck seats and have the dugouts up for sale - it WAS a great idea.

This is the current great idea: www.savetheyankeegate2.com

And yes, they plan to raise the field and not to match that of OYS but to make the park easily accessable from street-level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                              Well, if I was a Weisenheimer - which I'm not - I'd say that if you "expect" more pictures, maybe you should go take 'em yourself.

In reality, it appears that the only dramatic changes going on right now are the removal of the seats, which is not something that can easily be photographed from the outside. Even from the last row of the new stadium, you can only get so much of the interior - I know this from experience. The best vantage point would be either from the top of the Bronx County Courthouse or from one of the apartment buildings on Gerard Avenue.

Other than that, it's the erecting of the plywood fencing around the perimeter of the ballpark. And it doesn't appear that there will be too many "gaps" in the fence, as there were at Shea, to allow for photographers to "peek through."

It's when they actually begin physically demolishing the building itself that the pictures will start coming. I just wonder if there will be a contingent of Baseball Fever regulars who will be able to document the demolition of Yankee Stadium the way myself and others were able to do Shea.
                              might be a bit difficult for a 16 year old with no car to get to the bronx =] besides after all your work at Shea and Citi, i figured i would let you take the pictures Gary D. =]
                              LETS GO METS, JETS, AND KNICKS!!!!
                              we're METS FANS, what ever happened to YA GOTTA BELIEVE!

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                                Well, considering that they have already removed the field, removed the lower deck seats and have the dugouts up for sale - it WAS a great idea.

This is the current great idea: www.savetheyankeegate2.com

And yes, they plan to raise the field and not to match that of OYS but to make the park easily accessable from street-level.
                                Well, considering they replaced the field frequently and completely redid the field several years ago, and that the dugouts have not sold, it really doesn't matter.

I'm all about preservation, but you need to pick your battles wisely. The facts in front of us are that demolition is on its way, and there is no high profile person or body fighting to save any part of the stadium. The stadium is set to be demolished, is being demolished, and will ultimately become softball fields. It's a lot easier to persuade them to create a single diamond with some original features, than to spend millions maintaining Gate 2. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Gate 2 was the first part to be demolished of the main structure.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X