No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also, preservation is a great thing, and its nice to have something you can look at to connect you to the past and tell part of a story, but preservation is a lot better when it can provide an experience, and bring you into the story. Saving Gate 2 would be great, saving the stadium would be great, but the story here is the field, and without that nothing else matters. The field, and the dimensions, and its orientation, and what surrounded it is what matters.

What would be better? Walking to NYS and seeing Gate 2 standing by itself next to softball fields or your child playing on the same ground as Mickey Mantle and playing a game on the original site of Yankee Stadium? If they could do both, great.... but I fear it's too late for ambition, unfortunately everyone dropped the ball on this. It's not like we didn't have notice.

Comment

• I could see them taking out gate 2 first to remove what they may see as an annoying issue from the table. It would stick a knife in the backs of fans that want something preserved and break their spirit, making it easier to wipe a landmark from the face of the earth, leaving what they want- nothing. We were told they were going to build a stadium that reminds us of OYS and the footprint and some lower stands of RYS would remain. They lied and I don't like being lied to. Yankees/NYC 2, Fans 0. The box score can be found on the obituary page.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
        I could see them taking out gate 2 first to remove what they may see as an annoying issue from the table. It would stick a knife in the backs of fans that want something preserved and break their spirit, making it easier to wipe a landmark from the face of the earth, leaving what they want- nothing. We were told they were going to build a stadium that reminds us of OYS and the footprint and some lower stands of RYS would remain. They lied and I don't like being lied to. Yankees/NYC 2, Fans 0. The box score can be found on the obituary page.
        I can also see that happening. A few years back, Yonkers Raceway was approaching it's 100 year anniversary?
        At that time, the track was in HUGE financial trouble. The ONLY real chance they had to keep their doors open was saddled () on a plan to renovate the joint & install a several thousand video poker & slot machines ... A.K.A. a "RACE-ino". Approval for this to happen was tied up in Albany & was dragging on with no end in sight .....

Anyway, around the same timeframe, there were whispers that the City of Yonkers was going to grant landmark status on the grandstand portion of the raceway for it's upcoming 100 years of service to the community. So, when word about this possible 'honor" reached Dan Rooney (the owner of the track) & the higher-ups who run the facility, they quickly scrambled to knock down practically the ENTIRE grandstand area that would have received the landmark status, as they didn't want to be TOLD what they had to do with their building/facility. No grandstand, no landmark status. No landmark status, no worries must have been their motto. Eventually, the Racino got approval from Albany & a good part of the Racino was built on the land where the grandstand once stood.

I could see the powers-that-be on this demolition doing the SAME thing. If Gate 2 gets razed before this movement gets a full head of steam, you kill the movement, thus allowing them to do it THEIR (original) way.
        Last edited by RichieA13; 05-27-2009, 08:19 AM.
        ------------------------------------------
        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• some new shots from 880:

Comment

• Looking good.
            HE DROPPED THE BALL! HE DROPPED THE BALL!
            http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5026043

Damon's Double Steal
            http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?c...pic_id=7223232

Comment

• Seeing the shots of Monument Park gives an all new meaning to the lyrics...
              "Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio...?"

Comment

• Originally posted by stumpmerrill View Post
                some new shots from 880:

Wow those pics are nice, but very sad. I might head down there later on today.

Comment

• Those are definitely sad, but they also give us some insight into original sections of the Stadium.

Notice in the shot looking behind home plate, that the concrete in front of the main aisle is much lighter and "cleaner" than the concrete behind home plate. The concrete from any original sections of the Stadium is going to be much darker, probably due to different composition, perhaps some sort of a sealant (as we saw with Shea) or just stained from more years of use than the 30 year old concrete next to it. Certainly interesting to me.

Also, note that the foul territory walls are now gone, along with sections of the outfield wall, most obvious from those pictures would be the section in left field that used to be the 1976-87 wall (where the retired numbers were placed) and the 1988-2008 wall in front of it.

Richard

Comment

• hi res

any way to make the last aerial shot bigger and hi res? for a background?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                      Those are definitely sad, but they also give us some insight into original sections of the Stadium.

Notice in the shot looking behind home plate, that the concrete in front of the main aisle is much lighter and "cleaner" than the concrete behind home plate. The concrete from any original sections of the Stadium is going to be much darker, probably due to different composition, perhaps some sort of a sealant (as we saw with Shea) or just stained from more years of use than the 30 year old concrete next to it. Certainly interesting to me.

Also, note that the foul territory walls are now gone, along with sections of the outfield wall, most obvious from those pictures would be the section in left field that used to be the 1976-87 wall (where the retired numbers were placed) and the 1988-2008 wall in front of it.

Richard
                      the 1976-1984 wall. The fences were first moved in before the 1985 season and again in 1988. Correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bobby_Ayala View Post
                        the 1976-1984 wall. The fences were first moved in before the 1985 season and again in 1988. Correct?
                        My mistake. They were moved in from the 1985 season on and then in 1988 moved in again.

Thanks for the clarification. It's things like that that keep me on my toes!

Richard

Comment

• Dumpsters are now in the upper deck.

Comment

• Any particular reason they shortened the fence? Or did they just want a shorter left center wall

Comment

• Originally posted by Tino24 View Post
                              Any particular reason they shortened the fence? Or did they just want a shorter left center wall
                              One reason was to allow fans access to Monument Park. Before that, fans could not enter MP, you could only see it from a distance. Another reason was to help Dave Winfield hit more HR's.
                              Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                                One reason was to allow fans access to Monument Park. Before that, fans could not enter MP, you could only see it from a distance. Another reason was to help Dave Winfield hit more HR's.
                                Then they shortened it even more when they signed Jack Clark.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X