No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe when they take the lights down they'll find the original frieze . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
      Found this on flickr.

looks like they started digging up the grass in the infield, along with the Yankee Logo. Whats stranger though, is that along the first base line, there appears to be...A WORLD SERIES LOGO? can anyone explain this? were they thinking about preserving Yankee Stadium so they could hold the WS there every year? (Thats a joke, but seriously, that would be awesome).

EDIT: Also looks like the ads in the back are older versions of the ads that were up this year...fleet doesn't even exist anymore!
      We need a new classification for posts like these. Just, wow.
      http://www.virtualfenway.com

Comment

• Well, some of the people who post photos from Flickr are careful to annotate them, and include links... even for the ones they didn't take themselves...

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user ______ on mm/dd/yy; described as having been taken ___________________. Link to original Flickr.com upload: here)

X
        What's THAT guy doing?
        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• i dont even think that picture of YS with the infield grass removed is from this year. some of the ads around the scoreboard dont look like the ads from this year or around the out of town scoreboard. where is the metlife billboard with the countdown clock??? wasnt it where the priority mail billboard is???

Comment

• hollllyyy crap. what is this, national dont-use-your-common-sense day?

Comment

• Let's get away from that.

I've got a question... when they start knocking the Stadium down, are they going to block off part of the 161st Street elevated platform on the #4 line, being that it's much closer to the stadium than the Willets Point Boulevard platform is to Shea?
              X
              What's THAT guy doing?
              - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• I'll agree that this photo is not from this year. Where is the All-Star logo that has been up all year along the frieze? That is definitely the remnants of the 2003 World Series logo.

Comment

• The only reason that I really thought that it was from this year is because the picture was noted as Taken on October 23, 2008. Seams weird that they would dig up the grass in '03 though, doesn't it? and i think that is this years contenential ad on the board. although counting the retired numbers, it is clearly not from this year. sorry everyone.
                  Last edited by Anubis2051; 10-23-2008, 08:59 PM.

Comment

• They replaced the field around that time. This is probably a picture of when that happened.

That's certainly not 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                      The only reason that I really thought that it was from this year is because the picture was noted as Taken on October 23, 2008.
                      I've seen that frequently, where an obviously wrong date will appear. Presumably there are a lot of people out there who don't set the internal dates on their cameras, or... or... heck, I don't know, and I'm not even going to speculate.

But that's why, when I give credit for pictures someone else took, I phrase it as "described as having been taken on" instead of just saying that it was taken on X-date. Only if it's an obvious error, for example an event that took place on one specific date (for example, the NYU graduation ceremonies at Yankee Stadium), will I change a date from what's listed on Flickr... or I'll skip the the "taken on" part entirely and just list the date the photo was uploaded to Flickr - which, of course, can be any date at all.

EDIT AFTER ORIGINAL POST: I found the original photo on Flickr. It was posted by user 007InMiami, and a link to the original Flickr.com upload can be found here. I've posted a comment about the photo not having been taken 10/23/08.
                      Last edited by Gary Dunaier; 10-23-2008, 10:42 PM.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Originally posted by DGDGBD View Post
                        That's not the last tour date. There is at least one tour in Nov in conjunction with a private function at the stadium. I'm guessing they won't let people take any dirt because if they open the door a little, people would go overboard and try to bring shovels...
                        The november blow out was cancelled!!!!

There is only one reason for the above.

Sell the dirt to the fans!!!! Either that or Steinbrenner is just a jerk.
                        Last edited by cgcoyne2; 10-30-2008, 11:30 PM.
                        Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean O View Post
                          We need a new classification for posts like these. Just, wow.
                          And so it begins..My (ass-u-m-ptions) are that they are selling the sod and even the advertisement signs. But really, It's going to seem mighty weird with the place gone. Ya know, I guess Tropicana field will have hosted more WS than the new YS.. Thats if the Yanks fail to make it in 09. Hopefully Joba won't implode!!! Just some random thoughts on a day off. PS.. Doesn't it feel like Bizarro world watching the Rays in the WS??? And has anyone ever met a Ray fan before this year?

Comment

• One problem with Flickr - if you scan in a print photo, it considers the scanning date the day it was taken. I'm 51 and have a photo of myself at age 13 dated in 2005. Time machines rule!
                            "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrBear View Post
                              One problem with Flickr - if you scan in a print photo, it considers the scanning date the day it was taken.
                              You have the option of editing the date. If you're not sure of the exact date, you can just list the month and year, or if you don't know the month "Some time in..." is another choice on the drop-down menu.
                              X
                              What's THAT guy doing?

Comment

• Is the demolition going to be like shea with the outfield demolished first ?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X