X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locke40
    replied
    Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
    It's all about not being up with the newest and latest. It's all about throwing away things that work fine just because there is something new. New iPhone? Gotta have it, even though my old one is only 6 months old and works perfectly. Society is all about instant gratification. Big Media doesn't help, becaue they make money when society buys the things their advertisers sell, either with ads or by show content. Society sees something on TV and then beleives that is the way it should always be. We are a nation of consumers. New ballparks are part of that consumerism.

Personally, I don't throw anything away. I drove the same car for 13 years and only junked it when the timing belt went (166,000 miles...) I still have my CRT computer monitors and televisions, simply because they work. I never threw away / sold my LPs and such, simply because they sound fine, and the equipment I own works. I am not society's norm.

Ballparks? Well, New Yankee Stadium and CitiField came about more as a result of 'everyone else having one' than the existing structures becoming 'broken'. (Notice I didn't say old, becaue Wrigley, Fenway, and Dodger Stadium are doing just fine.) Their days were numbered regardless. Maybe you get another 10 or 20 years out of them, tops, before structural problems actually rear their ugly heads, and they'd NEED to be either replaced or substantially renovated. Just like my old car, there comes a time when you let go, and begin anew. New York just had to play catch up with everyone else.
    I admire that you live against the grain, and I too wish that the Old Yankee Stadium was still standing. However, you really should get a new monitor! The new flat screen, LCDs, are amazing. The CRT monitors don't have the color and vibrance of the new monitors. Other than that, I am in complete agreement with you.

Leave a comment:

• dstoffa
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Upscale is the new "middle class" nowadays. I just would have thought that the events of now 9 years ago would have humbled us, even a little. Instead, we are now more "Business as usual" than we were before that day. More luxurious stadiums, bigger flatscreens in our homes, flatscreen not good enough - get one in 3D! OMG! OMG! I would just DIE if I missed one episode of "Jersey Shore".

Pathetic.

I know. Life goes on. I just thought after certain events transpired, that life would go on with a little more grace, a little less greed, and some humility. Looks like we left those things in the last century.
    It's all about not being up with the newest and latest. It's all about throwing away things that work fine just because there is something new. New iPhone? Gotta have it, even though my old one is only 6 months old and works perfectly. Society is all about instant gratification. Big Media doesn't help, becaue they make money when society buys the things their advertisers sell, either with ads or by show content. Society sees something on TV and then beleives that is the way it should always be. We are a nation of consumers. New ballparks are part of that consumerism.

Personally, I don't throw anything away. I drove the same car for 13 years and only junked it when the timing belt went (166,000 miles...) I still have my CRT computer monitors and televisions, simply because they work. I never threw away / sold my LPs and such, simply because they sound fine, and the equipment I own works. I am not society's norm.

Ballparks? Well, New Yankee Stadium and CitiField came about more as a result of 'everyone else having one' than the existing structures becoming 'broken'. (Notice I didn't say old, becaue Wrigley, Fenway, and Dodger Stadium are doing just fine.) Their days were numbered regardless. Maybe you get another 10 or 20 years out of them, tops, before structural problems actually rear their ugly heads, and they'd NEED to be either replaced or substantially renovated. Just like my old car, there comes a time when you let go, and begin anew. New York just had to play catch up with everyone else.

Leave a comment:

• Robbyb26
    replied
    I know how NYFan1st feels. We are selfish, weak, pampered, spoiled, and feel we are entitled to everything. We are the worst generation, edging the boomers by a nose.

Leave a comment:

• Tino24
    replied
    Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
    Upscale is the new "middle class" nowadays. I just would have thought that the events of now 9 years ago would have humbled us, even a little. Instead, we are now more "Business as usual" than we were before that day. More luxurious stadiums, bigger flatscreens in our homes, flatscreen not good enough - get one in 3D! OMG! OMG! I would just DIE if I missed one episode of "Jersey Shore".

Pathetic.

I know. Life goes on. I just thought after certain events transpired, that life would go on with a little more grace, a little less greed, and some humility. Looks like we left those things in the last century.
    - If the technology and the everything was available today was available when Yankee Stadium was built or any older stadiums they would feature the same features. It was always about money the owners wanted money and if they could build stadiums like they do now they would have.

Leave a comment:

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    it's that way all across the big league sports industry these days.

professional sports arenas were always set-up for those who payed more, but recently it's gone berserk...

Pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by 04golf View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

Of course it could RYS could have been renovated but Steinbrenner wanted a mall park, a park for the rich to watch baseball in their glass luxury boxes and padded seats. Its capitalism, NYS no matter how much they say it, wasnt built for the average hard working fan, it was for the wall street traders to come in their suits, have dinner their resturant and buy expensive seats.
    it's that way all across the big league sports industry these days.

professional sports arenas were always set-up for those who payed more, but recently it's gone berserk...
    Last edited by Paul W; 10-05-2010, 12:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Power Wally
    replied
    Originally posted by 04golf View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

Of course it could RYS could have been renovated but Steinbrenner wanted a mall park, a park for the rich to watch baseball in their glass luxury boxes and padded seats. Its capitalism, NYS no matter how much they say it, wasnt built for the average hard working fan, it was for the wall street traders to come in their suits, have dinner their resturant and buy expensive seats.
    ... and a lot of it paid for by the taxpayers. :guitar:

Leave a comment:

• 04golf
    replied
    ^^^^^^^^^

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    I am personally not a fan of the split upper deck from a how it looks standpoint. Great feature for the fans to view the game, but ruins how the upper deck looks. I think we all agree the biggest mistake in the renovation was the escalator pods at Gate 4 and 6( Gate 2 pod is excusable due to it not ruining Gate 2).

IMHO, a lot of the character that was lost back in the 70's renovation could have easily been returned if they did another renovation instead of NYS. I am sure the glass windows would return instead of the louvres that were put into place in the 70's due to the poor state of the Bronx. I am sure engineering today could strengthen up the roof to put the frieze back up there. The only thing that could be tricky is with the pods. Gate 6 pod could be easily be moved alongside gate 6 like Gate 2 with some sacrifice of bleachers and then rebuild Gate 6 back to 90% of of its original design( I would figure Gate 6 would mirror Gate 2's look). Only tricky part is Gate 4. How would we deal with having escalators there and restore the Gate's design?

Leave a comment:

• YS Enthusiast
    replied
    As everyone now knows, the demol;ition was accomplished by removing the lower deck and mezzanine first, then slicing the upper deck vertically and allowing each 'slice' to fall inward.

As for the 1974-76 renovation, it was indeed an engineering feat. The details of the added steel, cables, stringers etc. became vsisible again during the recent demolition. But the 1970's modernization, while a great engineering feat, really stripped away the character that in later years would be sorely missed. These days, there are new ballparks that are not embarrassed about vertical columns and obstructed views here and there - look at the right field bleachers in the Ranger's ballpark. The blue and white 1973 edition of Yankee Stadium just bfore the renovation (that John Meeks ("stadiumbuilder.com") is so meticulously recreating), marked the evolution of the old YS to its architectural apogee, and thereafter it really never had any of the charm or warmth of the old arena. What were they thinking when they built those modern exterior ramps structures that had nothing to do with the old architectural motiffs?

I am a great fan of the new YS and think it captures a lot of the original while enhancing it in so many ways - for example, the inward slicing of the rght and left field grandstands to open up the view from the adjacent bleacher areas, and the split upper deck that allows you to watch the game from the concession areas. I think it is quite a gem.

YS Enthusiast

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    I plan on checking out a few things next week when the Playoffs start. Depending on the weather and if the Yankees win the division.
    They should send it to the Met...

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
    Anyone been to see the Yankees Logo taken from the top of the Home Dugout that is on display at the Bronx Museum of Arts yet?
    I plan on checking out a few things next week when the Playoffs start. Depending on the weather and if the Yankees win the division.

Leave a comment:

• OllieNYY
    replied
    Anyone been to see the Yankees Logo taken from the top of the Home Dugout that is on display at the Bronx Museum of Arts yet?

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:
    Originally posted by Strawman View Post
    As I commented over there:

Utter sadness. Let’s never forget that this rivals Penn Station as the preservation crime of the last half century in New York.

A total disgrace, yet these wonderful and poignant photos constitute a living tribute to those who care, a stern and permanent rebuke to the forces that tore down the House That Ruth Built, an important historical document, and something of a monument against evil and greed.

Well done!

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    My favorite part of 30 for 30 was the Bleacher fans complaining about the Obstructions of New Yankee Stadium...And the Fasionable Fan defending the precious New Stadium with his Green Yankee Jacket. You wouldn't catch me wearing some Green, Yellow, Red, Pink, etc. Yankee jacket or hat! Clearly a bandwagoneer!
    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 09-28-2010, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X