Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
    So you're one of the people who want poles in front of their seats too, I guess?

Thank God the evolution of construction got us past that. I'd rather see the field than see a pole in front of me.
    What do you have aganist Poles?? Poland is a nice country

Comment

• OFF-TOPIC ALERT

Hey guys,

I started a new thread in the Yankees thread where you can talk about the current game while it's in progress instead of in this forum. Just to let you know. I will post the info about the game right before it starts, then you could discuss the game while it happens. Just click here.
      Last edited by threeyoda; 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

So you're one of the people who want poles in front of their seats too, I guess?

Thank God the evolution of construction got us past that. I'd rather see the field than see a pole in front of me.
        The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest.

During the last homestand in September, just prior to the start of one of the last weeknight games, I was standing in the cross-aisle behind the visitor's dugout, getting ready to sell soda or Cracker Jacks or whatever, I don't remember. I leaned over to a guy sitting in one of the first rows of the Main Box, and I said to him, "It's a shame what's going to happen to this place, but the silver lining for me is that this society doesn't deserve a place like Yankee Stadium." He seemed kind of confused, which didn't surprise me.

About a month ago, I was talking to my best friend, and I told him about this conversation, and he just smiled and grinned. I also mentioned how somebody on this forum had made the analogy that walking by the Stadium on the way to the House of Ruthlessness across the street was like watching a friend dying of cancer, and there was nothing he could do about it.

For the name Yankee Stadium to be abused and exploited across the street is nothing short of a travesty. That place is not Yankee Stadium, never will be, and will never come close. I also read on a recent thread here that a White Sox fan was actually happy when New Comiskey was renamed U.S. Cellular, and it was one of the few corporate naming deals that could be seen as positive, since New Comiskey wasn't really anything like Old Comiskey and shouldn't be characterized using the same name. I think the same is true of the House of Ruthlessness. It has no business being called Yankee Stadium.

That the gold lettering was installed across the street last summer, before Yankee Stadium had even closed, is akin to a family fighting over their inheritance before the elder is even dead, and in this case, since Yankee Stadium was still hosting games, before the elder was even unconscious or incapacitated. Again, nothing short of an absolute travesty.

So getting back to this conversation I had with my friend about a month ago, I told him that if there was ever a place that was grand enough and majestic enough and spiritually full of enough energy to withstand all the turmoil, callous disrespect (from some), and apathy (from others), it would have to be Yankee Stadium. Looking at these pictures, even with no grass on the field and many of the seats removed, Yankee Stadium STILL looks imposing, magnificent, and dignified, characteristics the House of Ruthlessness with never attain. In the December of its lifetime, Yankee Stadium stubbornly reminds everyone what is truly being sacrificed, and without legitimate reason, which only makes it that much worse.

The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest. -- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Not so crazy, CrazyMind.

In fact, quite true.

Comment

• This isn't just another ballpark being torn down in just another city. This is THE ballpark in THE city, the first triple-tiered athletic facility on this entire continent, the host of not only more baseball history than any other ballpark, but the host of unforgettable events in football and boxing as well. Before Jackie Robinson played a game at Ebbets Field, Jesse Owens ran track at Yankee Stadium (did you know that, JimmyJimJimz?). Before the U.S. went to war against the Nazis, Joe Louis knocked out Germany's Golden Boy in the Bronx. Before the Super Bowl became a terrible excuse for Americans to throw stupid parties, some of the greatest NFL Championship Games were played at 161st Street and River Avenue. This isn't just an historic baseball Stadium being dismantled. Along with the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, this building is one of a very small handful of structures (other than the obvious government buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C.) that absolutely SCREAMS Americana. As sad a commentary as this is, I find it almost appropriate that Yankee Stadium is no longer going to exist in the near future, because many of the good things about this country that it represents are either long gone or never were.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
              The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest.

During the last homestand in September, just prior to the start of one of the last weeknight games, I was standing in the cross-aisle behind the visitor's dugout, getting ready to sell soda or Cracker Jacks or whatever, I don't remember. I leaned over to a guy sitting in one of the first rows of the Main Box, and I said to him, "It's a shame what's going to happen to this place, but the silver lining for me is that this society doesn't deserve a place like Yankee Stadium." He seemed kind of confused, which didn't surprise me.

About a month ago, I was talking to my best friend, and I told him about this conversation, and he just smiled and grinned. I also mentioned how somebody on this forum had made the analogy that walking by the Stadium on the way to the House of Ruthlessness across the street was like watching a friend dying of cancer, and there was nothing he could do about it.

For the name Yankee Stadium to be abused and exploited across the street is nothing short of a travesty. That place is not Yankee Stadium, never will be, and will never come close. I also read on a recent thread here that a White Sox fan was actually happy when New Comiskey was renamed U.S. Cellular, and it was one of the few corporate naming deals that could be seen as positive, since New Comiskey wasn't really anything like Old Comiskey and shouldn't be characterized using the same name. I think the same is true of the House of Ruthlessness. It has no business being called Yankee Stadium.

That the gold lettering was installed across the street last summer, before Yankee Stadium had even closed, is akin to a family fighting over their inheritance before the elder is even dead, and in this case, since Yankee Stadium was still hosting games, before the elder was even unconscious or incapacitated. Again, nothing short of an absolute travesty.

So getting back to this conversation I had with my friend about a month ago, I told him that if there was ever a place that was grand enough and majestic enough and spiritually full of enough energy to withstand all the turmoil, callous disrespect (from some), and apathy (from others), it would have to be Yankee Stadium. Looking at these pictures, even with no grass on the field and many of the seats removed, Yankee Stadium STILL looks imposing, magnificent, and dignified, characteristics the House of Ruthlessness with never attain. In the December of its lifetime, Yankee Stadium stubbornly reminds everyone what is truly being sacrificed, and without legitimate reason, which only makes it that much worse.

The squirrel you kill in jest, dies in earnest. -- Henry David Thoreau
              What I would consider a travesty is for the Yankees to play in any stadium permenantly that is not named Yankee Stadium. Same goes for the Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, Angels, and Royals. The names have become associated with the team. When the Red Sox build a new stadium, it has to be Fenway Park. When the Cubs build a new stadium, it has to be named Wrigley Field. When the White Sox built their new stadium, it was named after its predecessor. I consider it a travesty that the name "Comiskey Park" was lost in 2003. After 92 years of playing in a Comiskey Park, it was a travesty they renamed it.

Things come and go, times change. Some things become historic, some of them get demolished, some of them stay. Some things become a horrible place, some things become beatiful.

Yankee Stadium became historic, it is getting demolished. Penn Station became historic, it got demolished. All in favor of newer, better replacements. Yankee Stadium fro Yankee Stadium, Penn Station for a new MSG and Penn Station.

Yankee Stadium had a good run. It saw things amazing and record-breaking. It saw things saddening and heart-breaking. It saw 39 World Series! It saw the New York Giants play the Greatest Game Ever Played. It saw Joe Louis defeat Max Schmeling. It saw 3 popes, tons of concerts, and great baseball moments. It saw 4 All-Star Games. It saw the Babe, Lou, Mickey, Joe, Yogi, Jackson, Jeter, and Rivera. That's more than most stadiums can ever hope to see. I think that's plenty.

But, for each his own.

Also, here's a nice tribute video on youtube:

"This is Home"- a Yankee Stadium Tribute by ShowtimeSpicer
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by YanksRule View Post
                They actually MAY just cover it up since the field level seats are below ground and they want to make the park ground level- it would be cheaper doing it that way... plus that way they can say part of Yankee Stadium is still intact
                Right that's what I meant. I wasn't thinking the entire lower level would be under, but why rip it out if they are going to raise the field up to street level? I guess once you get to the point of being high enough to have a tunnel under them, that'd be a different story.
                Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                  Yankee Stadium became historic, it is getting demolished. Penn Station became historic, it got demolished. All in favor of newer, better replacements.
                  You think that hole in the ground (literally) that is called Penn Station is better than the original?

Please. Get real.

(Ever see the original?

I thought not.)

And that amusement park and shopping mall with a baseball field attached will never really replace Yankee Stadium. It will only serve to remind us of our greed and stupidity.

Comment

Not at all. Why would you even say that? Last time I was at the REAL Yankee Stadium, there were no poles there anymore.

There was no need to replace that stadium. None. Except for greed, that is.

Huge curse upon our team now. You think the Bosox got a curse for trading Ruth? Man, wait until they tear down the house he built. Shiver!
                    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

This isn't just another ballpark being torn down in just another city. This is THE ballpark in THE city, the first triple-tiered athletic facility on this entire continent, the host of not only more baseball history than any other ballpark, but the host of unforgettable events in football and boxing as well. Before Jackie Robinson played a game at Ebbets Field, Jesse Owens ran track at Yankee Stadium (did you know that, JimmyJimJimz?). Before the U.S. went to war against the Nazis, Joe Louis knocked out Germany's Golden Boy in the Bronx. Before the Super Bowl became a terrible excuse for Americans to throw stupid parties, some of the greatest NFL Championship Games were played at 161st Street and River Avenue. This isn't just an historic baseball Stadium being dismantled. Along with the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, this building is one of a very small handful of structures (other than the obvious government buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C.) that absolutely SCREAMS Americana. As sad a commentary as this is, I find it almost appropriate that Yankee Stadium is no longer going to exist in the near future, because many of the good things about this country that it represents are either long gone or never were.
                      To be fair, we are not the only country treating out historic stadiums this way. England tore down arguably their most famous stadium, Wembley, and built the only stadium that cost more then NYS ever. I'm not saying this makes it right, I'm just saying that America isn't the only nation that takes it's history for granted.

Comment

This isn't just another ballpark being torn down in just another city. This is THE ballpark in THE city, the first triple-tiered athletic facility on this entire continent, the host of not only more baseball history than any other ballpark, but the host of unforgettable events in football and boxing as well. Before Jackie Robinson played a game at Ebbets Field, Jesse Owens ran track at Yankee Stadium (did you know that, JimmyJimJimz?). Before the U.S. went to war against the Nazis, Joe Louis knocked out Germany's Golden Boy in the Bronx. Before the Super Bowl became a terrible excuse for Americans to throw stupid parties, some of the greatest NFL Championship Games were played at 161st Street and River Avenue. This isn't just an historic baseball Stadium being dismantled. Along with the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty, this building is one of a very small handful of structures (other than the obvious government buildings and monuments in Washington, D.C.) that absolutely SCREAMS Americana. As sad a commentary as this is, I find it almost appropriate that Yankee Stadium is no longer going to exist in the near future, because many of the good things about this country that it represents are either long gone or never were.
                        Brilliantly said - and very said.

As I've said, this is a preservation crime of massive proportions - but enjoy the martini bar!
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by threeyoda View Post
                          What I would consider a travesty is for the Yankees to play in any stadium permenantly that is not named Yankee Stadium. Same goes for the Red Sox, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, Angels, and Royals. The names have become associated with the team. When the Red Sox build a new stadium, it has to be Fenway Park. When the Cubs build a new stadium, it has to be named Wrigley Field. When the White Sox built their new stadium, it was named after its predecessor. I consider it a travesty that the name "Comiskey Park" was lost in 2003. After 92 years of playing in a Comiskey Park, it was a travesty they renamed it.
                          I disagree with that.
                          The Dodgers have played at Dodger Stadium longer than they played at Ebbets Field now.
                          Dodger Stadium is their home.
                          The Boston Garden and the Chicago Stadium are just memories now and giving a new building the same name is like pretending that the new Camaro is just like the one you could buy in 1967.
                          The guys from Black Sabbath can tour with Ronnie James Dio in place of Ozzy all they want but it is NOT really Black Sabbath no matter what they call it.

Since the new Yankee Stadium is named after the team itself then it makes sense but to name a new ballpark in Boston "Fenway" or a new one in Chicago "Wrigley" or "Comiskey"..... why?
                          I agree with the other poster who said that he was glad that they removed the name Comiskey from the new place.
                          It was not Comiskey Park. It was bad enough that the park that they played in for 80 years was turned into a parking lot but it was salt in the wound to have that part of the teams history handled like a cheap movie sequel.
                          "Comiskey Park II" I hated that.

When Fenway and Wrigley are gone they can name the new place anything else.
                          Ted Williams Park.
                          Ernie Banks Field.
                          Whatever.... but the old name should go when the old stadium falls.

Comment

• Man.... what a sad sight.

Having personally witnessed Comiskey Park and the Chicago Stadium ripped apart and Soldier Field gutted like a dead fish I would have to say that there are few things sadder than seeing an old ball park or stadium turned to dust.

This one being that saddest of all and I have never even been to New York City.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                              Ted Williams Park.
                              Ernie Banks Field.
                              Couldn't agree more. There actually aren't that many names that have been transferred from one building to another... there's Yankee Stadium, Comiskey for a few years, Busch, Madison Square Garden, and I can't even think of any others.

When the name preceeds the facility, the facility should not only serve the name justice, but it should also portray a reasonable resemblance to the facility that preceeded it. Just as U.S. Cellular shares little in common with the real Comiskey, the House of Ruthlessness can only claim common traits with the real Yankee Stadium that are tasteless and tacky, such as the cheap frieze that looks more like it belongs in Roosevelt Field Mall than in a baseball stadium.

The Black Sabbath and Camaro analogies were spot-on. I was going to say I can paint the word Ferrari on the back of a Corvette, but that doesn't make it so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philtration View Post
                                I disagree with that.
                                The Dodgers have played at Dodger Stadium longer than they played at Ebbets Field now.
                                Dodger Stadium is their home.
                                The Boston Garden and the Chicago Stadium are just memories now and giving a new building the same name is like pretending that the new Camaro is just like the one you could buy in 1967.
                                The guys from Black Sabbath can tour with Ronnie James Dio in place of Ozzy all they want but it is NOT really Black Sabbath no matter what they call it.

Since the new Yankee Stadium is named after the team itself then it makes sense but to name a new ballpark in Boston "Fenway" or a new one in Chicago "Wrigley" or "Comiskey"..... why?
                                I agree with the other poster who said that he was glad that they removed the name Comiskey from the new place.
                                It was not Comiskey Park. It was bad enough that the park that they played in for 80 years was turned into a parking lot but it was salt in the wound to have that part of the teams history handled like a cheap movie sequel.
                                "Comiskey Park II" I hated that.

Ted Williams Park.
                                Ernie Banks Field.
                                To each his own opinion.

But when people hear the Red Sox, they think of Fenway. When people hear the Cubs, they think of Wrigley. When people hear the Yankees, they hear Yankee Stadium. Go to France, Japan, even Italy or Russia. Ask them about Yankee Stadium. Pretty sure they'll know what it is. Ask them about they Cubs or Red Sox. Most of them will know where they play. The names of the stadium have become associated and connected to the team, the city, and the fans. Giving their replacements a different name would be a travesty. Most people, when they hear:

Cubs- they think of Chicago and Wrigley
                                Red Sox- they think of Boston and Fenway
                                Yankees- they think of New York and Yankee
                                Dodgers- they think of L.A. and Dodger
                                Angels- they think of L.A. and Angel
                                Royals- they think of Kansas City and Kauffman
                                White Sox- they think of Chicago and (usually) Comiskey

If the Red Sox announced (god forbid) Sham-Wow Stadium tommorow, I would consider it a travesty and a kick in the face to the fans. 1ST- Who would want to play in Sham-Wow Stadium? and 2ND- The Red Sox have played in Fenway for nearly 90 YEARS! Suddenly moving to Sham-Wow Stadium would be shameful on the Red Sox baseball team. That goes for the Cubs and Dodgers too.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X