Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Mickey Mantle said and I qoute "I think now this is the most beautiful Stadium I have ever seen" after walking into the renovated Stadium for the first time.
    I can't help but say this, but have you ever seen photos of Mantle during the 70's, when YS was renovated, with his multi-colored, checkered, polyester suits and colorful ties that were as thick as tablecloth? Not to mention the short hair and mutton-chop side burns adorned by middle-aged folks trying to be hipsters at the time. Yeah, it was the typical, garish, nondescript, tasteless style of the 70's and RYS fit right in with the times. That and a few drinks and I'm sure that Mantle would think that Atlantic City was nirvana. Beautiful is not a word I'd use to describe RYS.

What does pain me is the memories I'll be leaving behind at RYS, including those games that I attended with my late father. But whenever I'd see photos of OYS, I was, and still am saddened by how they destroyed such a masterpiece. And this, from a person who grew up with RYS.

I'll always be fond of RYS for those memories, including all the championship teams that made it a special place. Without those teams, I'm not so sure that some of us would be speaking in such glowing terms about the renovation.
    Rob R
    Enter Sandman
    Last edited by Rob R; 06-29-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
      Rob
      I almost spit out my coffee when I read that remark about a giant bean jumping out when a Red Sox player hits a HR ! You know I hate that apple almost as much as I despise Fred, Jeff , and Omar.

I agree that the renovations were a hatchet job. But looking at the climate in 71-72, NYC had to do something. CBS had destroyed the greatest franchise in sports, and whether or not young Yankees fans want to believe it, they were moving. In order to save them, the closest thing to a cookie cutter was built. In 1973-1975, this was the 'wave of the future'. Only in the 1990's did we turn back to clock to realize baseball and football should not be played in the same ballparks.

Yankees fans should thank three people that the franchise stayed and that RYS, no matter how tainted, gave your team 35 more years of glory:
      1) George Steinbrenner, who should be inducted into Cooperstown while he is still around 2)Mayor John Lindsay, one time superstar and Presidential hopeful who ended up dying in a nursing home destitute and whose medical bills were paid by Mayor Bloomberg 3) Robert Short, owner of the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers who took the cash and moved his franchise instead of the Yankees moving.
      LOL....I didn't mean that "bean" remark as a swipe at the Mets. I swear I didn't!

If those fellas and RYS is what it took to keep the Yankees in the Bronx, then I couldn't be happier, cookie cutter and all. It's just a shame that whomever designed and was responsible for the renovation didn't have a sense of style, history and tradition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        LOL....I didn't mean that "bean" remark as a swipe at the Mets. I swear I didn't!

If those fellas and RYS is what it took to keep the Yankees in the Bronx, then I couldn't be happier, cookie cutter and all. It's just a shame that whomever designed and was responsible for the renovation didn't have a sense of style, history and tradition.
        We obviously have 2 different opinions on what the term "cookie cutter means....
        Adding 2 pods to the Original entrance gates hardly makes Yankee Stadium "cookie cutter"

Yankee Stadium maintained it's original design and shape for 85 years.
        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
          We obviously have 2 different opinions on what the term "cookie cutter means....
          Adding 2 pods to the Original entrance gates hardly makes Yankee Stadium "cookie cutter"

Yankee Stadium maintained it's original design and shape for 85 years.
          To me, RYS, particularly the bowl, looked typical of the 70's style ballparks. And to make matters worse, they eliminated (destroyed) the frieze. What they did to Gate 4, replacing the distinguished, classic front with concrete circular escalators, was a travesty. Ditto the top half of the stadium and those spidery-looking, concrete vertical bars and the exposed back end of the upper tier. I also wish that NYS would have limestone in place of those Y bars, but I honestly think that it's still more attractive than RYS, though neither compare to OYS.

That said, I respect your opinion and understand where you and others are coming from.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
            What does pain me is the memories I'll be leaving behind at RYS, including those games that I attended with my late father. But whenever I'd see photos of OYS, I was, and still am saddened by how they destroyed such a masterpiece. And this, from a person who grew up with RYS.

I'll always be fond of RYS for those memories, including all the championship teams that made it a special place. Without those teams, I'm not so sure that some of us would be speaking in such glowing terms about the renovation.
            Exactly we should miss RYS for its memories but don't say because its the house that ruth built or because they won 26 world championships

OYS was the house that Ruth built and were they won 20 world championships and was ended in 1973

RYS i like to consider the house that Reggie built and they won 6 world championships there
            http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?start=0

Comment

• Originally posted by Drivinjoe56 View Post
              Exactly we should miss RYS for its memories but don't say because its the house that ruth built or because they won 26 world championships

OYS was the house that Ruth built and were they won 20 world championships and was ended in 1973

RYS i like to consider the house that Reggie built and they won 6 world championships there
              That's pretty much how I think of it.

I used to sit at RYS and look at the walls beyond RYS's walls and imagine what it would be like to be at OYS. I'd wonder how the monuments would look in the field of play. I'd look up at the lights and pretend that I saw a frieze encircling the stadium, especially in RF and imagine Mantle's moonshot that almost went out of the stadium. I'd look at the concrete escalator and hoped that one day they would knock it down so that Gate 4 was visible, till I learned that Gate 4 was destroyed.

I'd actually sit there and be envious of those who experienced OYS. Thankfully, my father and grandfather were able to fill me in so that in my mind's eye I was there.

That said, I can understand why so many will miss RYS, including myself, because NYS won't allow for us to be taken back to another era. But, with NYS will come new, and hopefully equally great memories.

Comment

• Since this IS the demolition thread - any updates?

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                  Since this IS the demolition thread - any updates?
                  There hasnt been anything in weeks now. I think there are things going on in the inside that we cant see. Nobody that could be possibly working in there has stepped up with any photos.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                    But none of those stadiums were as drastically altered as Yankee Stadium was AFTER they'd already received their iconic status.

They may have evolved into the parks we knew/know and love, but Yankee Stadium was changed well AFTER it had become legendary.

It retained some elements, but the renovated structure was so far removed from the original structure that it was never the same.

It's been said that the Babe wouldn't recognize the place.

Sorry but those stadiums did go through some extreme changes over the years. The addition or expansion of upper decks, the total reconfiguration of the outfields and bleachers... look at the old pics of those parks that I mentioned.
                    Look at the differences between the 20s and 30s and their final appearance.

Also…. At what point do you feel that a park has become “legendary”
                    Wrigley, Comiskey, Fenway and Tiger Stadium were all built before Yankee Stadium.

I would say that all of those places were revered long before the 1980s.

Comment

• I have to disagree. After the 1930s additions, Tiger stadium changed very little. The only differences from 1937-1999 were cosmetic.

That is minimal compared to the radical transformation Yankee Stadium had in the 70s. Even minimal compared to Fenway.
                      Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by tugger View Post
                        something tells me the Babe would be checkin' out the broads, not the ballpark.
                        lol

Honestly, I think Babe Ruth would fall in love with the new Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                          lol

Honestly, I think Babe Ruth would fall in love with the new Stadium.
                          He would laugh at the dimensions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oddjob View Post

"I'd play for half my salary if I could hit in this dump all the time."

Babe Ruth referring to Wrigley Field (1932).

Could he possibly also mean (homer friendly) Yankee Stadium (2009)???

Just a thought.....

Dennis
                            BrooklynDodger14

Comment

• Originally posted by Oddjob View Post
                              Lest we forget the 258 ft. foul poles that existed at OYS in 1923.

Comment

• They uncovered this rather strange picture of a pitcher at Old Yankee Stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X