Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
    replied
    What happened to the thread "Yankee Stadium Demolition"?

Leave a comment:

• OllieNYY
    replied
    Some photos I took back in July (sorry I didn't get round to posting them sooner)

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by quagmire View Post
    Ok, but my main question still stands. Why didn't they give it landmark status back then?

And yeah, it is by Steve Spak.
    lindsay and cbs wanted new,"landmarking" would have thwarted their new place.
    that's what happens when big biz and politicians get together.
    the criteria for landmark status was more strict then than now.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    It wasn't their idea to renovate the Stadium but by endorsing the renovation they were helping Burke and Lindsay keep the Yankees in the Bronx and preventing the Yankees from fleeing to Jersey along with the New York Football Giants.

Is " Going, Going, Gone: Images of the Demolition of Yankee Stadium" by Steve Spak? I met him on March 31, 2010 when Gate 2 was demolished. Keep me posted on what you think about the images in print.
    Ok, but my main question still stands. Why didn't they give it landmark status back then?

And yeah, it is by Steve Spak.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    I know todays LPC denied it, but why didn't the LPC back in the 70's give it landmark status? It was their freaking idea to renovate it citing it was an historic building.

In any case, I ordered, "Yankee Stadium: The Final Season" and, " Going, Going, Gone: Images of the Demolition of Yankee Stadium" from Amazon. Can't wait until they get here.
    It wasn't their idea to renovate the Stadium but by endorsing the renovation they were helping Burke and Lindsay keep the Yankees in the Bronx and preventing the Yankees from fleeing to Jersey along with the New York Football Giants.

Is " Going, Going, Gone: Images of the Demolition of Yankee Stadium" by Steve Spak? I met him on March 31, 2010 when Gate 2 was demolished. Keep me posted on what you think about the images in print.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
    Yes......The FOIL request from the Landmark Preservation Committee showed that the LPC endorsed the renovation.

The Mayor appoints the members of the LPC. The members of the LPC will do what the Mayor wants and he wanted Yankee Stadium torn down. It's Big business Bloomberg. Without the approval of the Gateway Center down the street from Yankee Stadium.....New Yankee Stadium nevers gets built.
    I know todays LPC denied it, but why didn't the LPC back in the 70's give it landmark status? It was their freaking idea to renovate it citing it was an historic building.

In any case, I ordered, "Yankee Stadium: The Final Season" and, " Going, Going, Gone: Images of the Demolition of Yankee Stadium" from Amazon. Can't wait until they get here.
    Last edited by quagmire; 08-14-2010, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    If what I read here was correct, it was the landmark commission or whatever it is called in NYC idea to renovate Yankee Stadium. But, why in turn they didn't give it landmark status is beyond me.
    Yes......The FOIL request from the Landmark Preservation Committee showed that the LPC endorsed the renovation.

The Mayor appoints the members of the LPC. The members of the LPC will do what the Mayor wants and he wanted Yankee Stadium torn down. It's Big business Bloomberg. Without the approval of the Gateway Center down the street from Yankee Stadium.....New Yankee Stadium nevers gets built.

Leave a comment:

• YankeeStadium1923
    replied
    Originally posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    Was there ever any talk in 1973 to make the Stadium a landmark or did nobody care about those things back then?
    The Landmarks Preservation Committee endorsed the renovation of Yankee Stadium in 1971 saying Yankee Stadium was culturally and historically important. This same committee who pushed for the renovation of Yankee Stadium denied it landmark status stating it was significantly altered during the renovation.

Leave a comment:

• shaneslatts
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
    Fake 153rd Street Garage Fail!

Fake Big Bat Fail!

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    "The collective yawn" is a perfect phrase. As loud as Yankee fans can be, I am stunned by the apathy. I still think it gets ugly late. As in; the day demolition is slated to begin, people wake up and near riot. I cannot believe YS will go down easily.
    I went back to overview the thread and ran into this post. Sorry to say that swoboda was wrong. OYS went down easily. No disrespect to the people who fought for Gate 2, but we were in a minority. A very vocal minority, but a minority still. No protests, no outpouring of outraged Yankee fans, no human wall, etc. Just a, " We'll miss this place" comment and that is it.

Leave a comment:

• quagmire
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post
    "they" didn't care, new was better than old...
    Originally posted by DN4L View Post
    And that was the "TRUE CRIME" that occurred...
    The one that occurred in the early 1970's!!!
    If what I read here was correct, it was the landmark commission or whatever it is called in NYC idea to renovate Yankee Stadium. But, why in turn they didn't give it landmark status is beyond me.

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul W View Post

And that was the "TRUE CRIME" that occurred...
    The one that occurred in the early 1970's!!!

Leave a comment:

• Paul W
    replied
    Originally posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
    Was there ever any talk in 1973 to make the Stadium a landmark or did nobody care about those things back then?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Dunaier
    replied
    Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    And if they demo the garage, I'm sure it will just be to build another one in the same place. No way they give up all that parking space.
    Fake 153rd Street Garage Fail!

Leave a comment:

• LizrdKng67
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X