Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
    Now, Ron Swoboda in the '69 Series...completely airborn and full extension (and remembering to point his toes for those all important style points!)... that's a great catch!
    Absofriggin'-lootely! He got a 10 from this judge on that gymnastic play!
    "There's no crying in Baseball!"
    -...unless your son throws a no-no for the Giants!

Comment

• I bet the grounds crew at NYS is looking forward for a game like this to really mess up the field.

Originally posted by Philtration View Post

Comment

Most overrated "great catch" in baseball. He didn't jump into the stands to make the catch as everyone seems to want to remember it. He went over and made the catch, and happened to fall over the wall afterward. A pop-foul and a trip-up is not the stuff of great catches. Now, Ron Swoboda in the '69 Series...completely airborn and full extension (and remembering to point his toes for those all important style points!)... that's a great catch!
        He had to dive into the stands or his legs would have been taken out. That play is why jeter is beloved, he had no regard for his body- he just wanted to make the play and he risked his career doing so.

Comment

Most overrated "great catch" in baseball. He didn't jump into the stands to make the catch as everyone seems to want to remember it. He went over and made the catch, and happened to fall over the wall afterward. A pop-foul and a trip-up is not the stuff of great catches. Now, Ron Swoboda in the '69 Series...completely airborn and full extension (and remembering to point his toes for those all important style points!)... that's a great catch!
          See my avatar!

Comment

• Originally posted by stumpmerrill View Post
            He had to dive into the stands or his legs would have been taken out. That play is why jeter is beloved, he had no regard for his body- he just wanted to make the play and he risked his career doing so.
            He caught the ball and ran and jumped. Jeter over-embellishes every play he makes, whether it's when he ducks at balls and runs halfway down the line on a 3 ball pitch and this play. He could have pulled up. Wright actually jumped into the stands on a few plays. I have respect for Jeter and all, but I lose respect for him here. The wall doesn't have any more significance than the Maier wall.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Philtration;1572742]Just wondering here.
              Seeing the park slowly gutted and having the outfield wall removed...

Would any of the fans in NYC have liked the idea of Yankee Stadium being renovated as the new (and once again) home of the Giants?
              A way to save the stadium, take the Giants back to their roots and maybe save the huge chunk of money spent on the new football stadium? (The Jets having Giants Stadium all to themselves)
              Without the need to accommodate baseball games the field could have been converted to a football full time.

Hypothetically, they would have utilize the original conceptual rendering of Osbourne. Basically, they would have to enclose the stadium with three decks like Anaheim did for the Rams.

Parking was always the issue for the Giants at the Polo Grounds and Yankee Stadium. I agree with an earlier poster who stated the tailgating experience would be diminished in a parking garage.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Interesting how the facade of the original Osborne sketch is actually very similar to the facade of NYS. Sorry if that's been brought up.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                  He caught the ball and ran and jumped. Jeter over-embellishes every play he makes, whether it's when he ducks at balls and runs halfway down the line on a 3 ball pitch and this play. He could have pulled up. Wright actually jumped into the stands on a few plays. I have respect for Jeter and all, but I lose respect for him here. The wall doesn't have any more significance than the Maier wall.
                  I did not see this play live, so my first introduction to this fine catch was via this now famous photo. I have since viewed the video of it several times & disagree with anyone accusing Jeter of 'hot-dogging' it on this play. Gotta give the guy credit for laying his body out for a pop-up. He's lucky he didn't get REALLY hurt & he made a great catch. Period.

What struck me as intersting about this photo what I'll refer to as it's "subliminal message". You've heard of the book "A Tale of Two Cities"? Well, this photo is "A Tale of Two Yankees". In the photo, we see fan favorite, Derek Jeter .... "The Captain", with no apparant regard for body, soaring thru the air, full extention, a la Superman .... all in effort to catch a pop up. Also in the photo is the Yankee fan whipping boy, Alex Rodriguez .... with his shoulders hunched in a position that reads fear. He's not the guy diving into the stands risking injury ..... he's spectating along with the 55,000 other fans in the building. The difference between the two players is apparent in this photo. Alex would NEVER attempt to make that play, while Derek did. That's why Yankee fans all love Jeter & not A-Rod.
                  Attached Files
                  ------------------------------------------
                  www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                  www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                  www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• [QUOTE=mets16;1573331]He caught the ball and ran and jumped. Jeter over-embellishes every play he makes, QUOTE]

I think you have Jeter confused with that great ex Mets shorstop Rey Ordóñez. He was the star SS in New York on opening day 1996.....by the end of the week the star New York SS was playing in the Bronx.

Talk about a player who embellished every play.

I don't see anyother ballplayers running full speed at a 4 foot high wall surrounded by a photographers moat to catch a ball.....

Funny how you mention Wright....Could he have been any slower in trying to turn a doubleplay during the Allstar game?
                    Last edited by YankeeStadium1923; 07-24-2009, 07:11 PM.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

dumbest comment EVER

if he could have pulled up, he would have instead of going face first into the stands and getting bruised up from it, plus he had to be taken out of the game...so I would bet a million bucks that it wasnt his intention to get hurt and be taken out. If he doesnt go balls out and make that catch, 2 red sox would have scored on the play, so he also preserved the tie bc the game was in extra innings at the time...the man is CLUTCH and does WHAT EVER it takes to win....and David Wright will never be half as good or accomplish as much
                      sigpic

Comment

The man was running full speed at a a small wall that would have ended his career had he tried to stop. He HAD to dive to try to save himself. It was a GREAT play and deserves every bit of attention that it get. That is what jeter is all about, he will do anything to win and he basically put his career on the line to make that catch. It's hysterical how non-Yankee fans will try to diminish everything the man has done.

David Wright was by the stands and jumped in while he was slowed down, he didn't run full speed and jump in. And if you want an overrated catch and a player that over-embellishes then look at Wright's bare handed catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                          I did not see this play live, so my first introduction to this fine catch was via this now famous photo. I have since viewed the video of it several times & disagree with anyone accusing Jeter of 'hot-dogging' it on this play. Gotta give the guy credit for laying his body out for a pop-up. He's lucky he didn't get REALLY hurt & he made a great catch. Period.

What struck me as intersting about this photo what I'll refer to as it's "subliminal message". You've heard of the book "A Tale of Two Cities"? Well, this photo is "A Tale of Two Yankees". In the photo, we see fan favorite, Derek Jeter .... "The Captain", with no apparant regard for body, soaring thru the air, full extention, a la Superman .... all in effort to catch a pop up. Also in the photo is the Yankee fan whipping boy, Alex Rodriguez .... with his shoulders hunched in a position that reads fear. He's not the guy diving into the stands risking injury ..... he's spectating along with the 55,000 other fans in the building. The difference between the two players is apparent in this photo. Alex would NEVER attempt to make that play, while Derek did. That's why Yankee fans all love Jeter & not A-Rod.

I have taken my share of shots at ARod through the years but I'm sure every player not named Jeter on that play was cringing hoping he wouldn't be seriously hurt.

Comment

Tell me you're joking (or at least smoking something funny). He was running at FULL speed and his momentum carried him into the stands. Tell me you could have stopped before the wall and I'll consider you inhuman.

Come on, dude, don't let your dislike for the Yanks and their fans cause you to distort the truth.

http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/jet...tch/1536159056

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                              Tell me you're joking (or at least smoking something funny). He was running at FULL speed and his momentum carried him into the stands. Tell me you could have stopped before the wall and I'll consider you inhuman.

Come on, dude, don't let your dislike for the Yanks and their fans cause you to distort the truth.

http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/jet...tch/1536159056
                              Personally I love to hot dog knowing I will get my face cut up.

If he would have even tried to stop...he would have blown out both knees and dislocated his ankles....hell maybe a hip or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by bandit12 View Post
                                Personally I love to hot dog knowing I will get my face cut up.

If he would have even tried to stop...he would have blown out both knees and dislocated his ankles....hell maybe a hip or two.

Yeah, those were my thoughts as well. Nobody is asking anyone to love and respect Jeter, or the Yanks, but this is a no-brainer that's even silly to debate.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X