Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    Tell me you're joking (or at least smoking something funny). He was running at FULL speed and his momentum carried him into the stands. Tell me you could have stopped before the wall and I'll consider you inhuman.

Come on, dude, don't let your dislike for the Yanks and their fans cause you to distort the truth.

http://video.aol.ca/video-detail/jet...tch/1536159056
    Believe me it was a nice play, but I have seen many better plays Jeter make than that. There are more sections to be saved than that. Endy Chavez's play was 5 times better and I don't see the left field wall standing. Jeter is one of the only players I have respect for in the game, but I just think this play was a little over played. The one he did in Oakland cutting off the throw and shovel it to home to get Jeremy Giambi was better.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
      Believe me it was a nice play, but I have seen many better plays Jeter make than that. There are more sections to be saved than that. Endy Chavez's play was 5 times better and I don't see the left field wall standing. Jeter is one of the only players I have respect for in the game, but I just think this play was a little over played. The one he did in Oakland cutting off the throw and shovel it to home to get Jeremy Giambi was better.
      I wasn't talking about how great or average a play it was. You said he was hot-dogging it and could have pulled up short of the wall. I'm saying that it would have been humanly impossible for him to do do unless he wanted to blow out both knees and ankles. Even then I think it would have been impossible for him to stop.

And why would he intentionally hot dog it and dive head first into the stands? I know that with his money he can afford nice dentures, but I'm not sure he'd rather keep his teeth and entire face intact.
      Last edited by Rob R; 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        I wasn't talking about how great or average a play it was. You said he was hot-dogging it and could have pulled up short of the wall. I'm saying that it would have been humanly impossible for him to do do unless he wanted to blow out both knees and ankles. Even then I think it would have been impossible for him to stop.

And why would he intentionally hot dog it and dive head first into the stands? I know that with his money he can afford nice dentures, but I'm not sure he'd rather keep his teeth and entire face intact.
        I'm not going to keep arguing the fact, you have an opinion and I have one as well. I'm not saying "hot dogging" per se but he didn't need to do an Olympic style dive. It made the play look better, I could have seen him falling into the stands or over the wall. But personally I like plays when the player actually dives into the stands to catch the ball, not on the finish.

Comment

I'm not going to keep arguing the fact, you have an opinion and I have one as well. I'm not saying "hot dogging" per se but he didn't need to do an Olympic style dive. It made the play look better, I could have seen him falling into the stands or over the wall. But personally I like plays when the player actually dives into the stands to catch the ball, not on the finish.
          Watch the video. He was running at full speed and didn't have even a fraction of a second to think, style or profile after the catch. The wall took his knees out as he ran full speed into it, his momentum carrying him. The way his body dove and landed was a matter of physics, nothing else. It was his determination to catch that ball no matter the consequence, with reckless abandon, plus the circumstances of that particular game (and opposing team) that made it a great catch.

I'm sorry, but Jeter was not looking for a perfect 10 from the judges on that play. You're way off here.
          Last edited by Rob R; 07-25-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• You know, I made that comment about "The Catch" kinda tongue in cheek, but I knew it would set off a healthy dialogue. Look at all the fun we've had!

Of course it was a great catch! He knew exactly where he was on the field, and what it would take to make the catch. You can't take anything away from it.
            First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Trust me...being an O's fan...I know when and when not to be pissed about a catch made around the stands. Especially in RYS. It is ridiculous the Jeter catch is even being questioned as to whether or not he meant to do a headplant into the 3rd row.

Comment

You lost that game though lol. We won the Jeter game in a dramatic way.
                Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

Mets16 - to understand what Jeter did you have to understand Yankee Stadium. In 1998 they added the Legends Suites section behind home plate and up the sidelines by adding a new concrete wall and a set of seats. But the old concrete wall behind it remained. If Jeter had just jumped into the stands he would have crashed head first into that second (and unpadded) concrete wall and would probably have been paralyzed. The Olympic-style dive was the only way to get over both walls.

BYW, after that play, the Yankees padded in interior wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
                    And not to be a jerk, but the Mets and their fans can mark that night as when things started spiraling downwards.

Whether or not people think that catch by Jeter was great, there's no doubt that it's etched in baseball fan's minds, thus adding value to whatever items are being sold, however indirectly the items are linked.

Comment

• I just returned from a week in the Bronx, and I wasn't real thrilled to see Yankee Stadium being prepped for it's demise. It's like an open coffin at a wake.
                      As I walked past the old stadium towards the new one, a construction worker was exiting through a door cut into the blue plywood that surrounds the building. I stopped to ask him some questions, but all I got was a bunch of double-talk. He either knew nothing, or was keeping quite about what he did know. I don't think he knew anything. He did, however, allow me to take some quick pictures before closing the door.
                      I'm sure you know that the stadium is surrounded by scaffolding and a black netting, but what puzzles me is that dirt is being bulldozed over the area where the field level seats were. Maybe Steinbrenner has lost his mind and has ordered the stadium buried.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                        I just returned from a week in the Bronx, and I wasn't real thrilled to see Yankee Stadium being prepped for it's demise. It's like an open coffin at a wake.
                        As I walked past the old stadium towards the new one, a construction worker was exiting through a door cut into the blue plywood that surrounds the building. I stopped to ask him some questions, but all I got was a bunch of double-talk. He either knew nothing, or was keeping quite about what he did know. I don't think he knew anything. He did, however, allow me to take some quick pictures before closing the door.
                        I'm sure you know that the stadium is surrounded by scaffolding and a black netting, but what puzzles me is that dirt is being bulldozed over the area where the field level seats were. Maybe Steinbrenner has lost his mind and has ordered the stadium buried.
                        Dirt was bulldozed over the seating because it is easier access for cranes and other construction (or deconstruction) machinery.
                        Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Voodoochile, I believe you mean to say "destruction worker"

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                            Maybe Steinbrenner has lost his mind and has ordered the stadium buried.
                            Why is it that no matter HOW many times factual information is posted, then reposted both here and all over cyberspace, that some people continue to believe what they want?

1. Since you said Steinbrenner, I'm assuming you meant GEORGE, who is in failing health and NO LONGER RUNS THE TEAM.

2. The Yankess do NOT OWN OYS. The city does. Never been to the Bronx or to Yankee Stadium, and not a Yankees fan, yet even I knew that!

3. Why does someone have to be "losing their mind" by covering up a part of a building being demolished with dirt?

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                              Why is it that no matter HOW many times factual information is posted, then reposted both here and all over cyberspace, that some people continue to believe what they want?

1. Since you said Steinbrenner, I'm assuming you meant GEORGE, who is in failing health and NO LONGER RUNS THE TEAM.

2. The Yankess do NOT OWN OYS. The city does. Never been to the Bronx or to Yankee Stadium, and not a Yankees fan, yet even I knew that!

3. Why does someone have to be "losing their mind" by covering up a part of a building being demolished with dirt?
                              To my knowledge, I have yet to repost anything here, or all over cyberspace now that I think about it. Your assumption that I made reference to George is correct since neither Hank nor Hal would've provided the pun that I intended, and ordering the stadium buried was yet another stab at humor. These are often refered to as humorous antidotes, usually associated with sarcasm. Those individuals who's heads are free of their anal cavity often find things like this amussing.

I don't recall mentioning anything regarding ownership of the stadium, but did you know that prior to Steinbrenner's purchase of the Yankees in 1973 that Rice University owned the Stadium, and the Knights of Columbus owned the ground that it stands on?

I don't believe what I want, I believe what I know. I've been a Yankee fan since I was able to spell it, (about 1955, give or take a year) live about 15 minutes from Angel Stadium, and fly to New York every year to watch the Yankees play at home. Now that's funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by baseballman1243 View Post
                                And then you came to Shea and got swept "in a dramatic way". and then you went to the ALCS and like us you lost in game 7 "in a dramatic way".

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X