No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still cant believe they didnt take down Lou Gehrigs bat(gold or bronze plated) from atop the flag pole in Old Yankee Stadium & where I think should be put in the new stadium or atleast the new museum.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD7 View Post
      I still cant believe they didnt take down Lou Gehrigs bat(gold or bronze plated) from atop the flag pole in Old Yankee Stadium & where I think should be put in the new stadium or atleast the new museum.
      I think it is going to stay there, no? I would be a good spot for it. Kind of like a meeting place or a landmark.

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
        The only thing that helps me get through this is when they do demolish the new stadium in 40 years.....
        We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

When was the last time that a baseball only facility only lasted forty years?

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          Pardon me, gentlemen, but I believe that mets16 was directing his shot at me. Something in regards to winning some games in dramatic fashion was his point, which would bring it all back to the heart of the thread, Yankee Stadium Demolition, which is where everyone wants it to be.

We could begin by referring to 1923, 1927 & 1928. Or how about 1932, 1936, 1937, 1938 and 1939? Or perhaps 1941, 1943 and 1947. Then there's that five spot from 1949 to 1953, etc. Now they want to demolish a Shrine like Yankee Stadium. From the first year that Yankee Stadium existed in 1923 until its final year in 2008, a span of 85 years, Yankee Stadium has been the host of the World Series 45.8% of the time. Think about that. On average, in your lifetime, the World Series has been played in the Bronx nearly every other year. So say what you want about the Yankees, the Stadium, Jeter, whoever. It's big news when they suffer a loss, and it happens often, and it's because they're in the thick of it most of the time, and now the one big edge that they had is being discarded like a pair of worn out sneakers. Somebody blew that call big time. The problem is that the powers that be are void of any historical recognition. As always seems to be the case, if they don't understand it, they will destroy it.
          WARNING!! --- MATH CONTENT AHEAD!! --- WARNING!!!

CORRECTION:

While "2008" minus "1923" is indeed 85 ...... if you count "1923" as year one, or the first year, Yankee Stadium actually served 86 years (sans the two seasons when the Yankees played at Shea Stadium in 1974 & 1975). You're not the first to make that error, as I have seen it in other places.
          Last edited by RichieA13; 07-28-2009, 07:19 AM.
          ------------------------------------------
          www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
          www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
            We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

Granted, not all of them are Baseball only. Although, few of the stadiums now getting demolished were ever Baseball only.

Riverfront, Three Rivers, Shea (just barely over), Metropolitan, Metrodome (technically), Memorial Stadium (a little over), Exhibition stadium, Astrodome, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Skydome...

I've probably missed a few. 40 years seems to be the shelf life.
            Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• WARNING!! --- MATH CONTENT AHEAD!! --- WARNING!!!

CORRECTION:
              While "2008" minus "1923" is indeed 85 ...... if you count "1923" as year one, or the first year, Yankee Stadium actually served 86 years (sans the two seasons when the Yankees played at Shea Stadium in 1974 & 1975). You're not the first to make that error, as I have seen it in other places.

Yeah, I knew that going in. It is also common when determining years played. But when the percentage came out to 45.8%, two years were wasted at Shea, and I could've deducted the last five years and called it 81 years, I figured what the hell, the point was made.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                WARNING!! --- MATH CONTENT AHEAD!! --- WARNING!!!

CORRECTION:

While "2008" minus "1923" is indeed 85 ...... if you count "1923" as year one, or the first year, Yankee Stadium actually served 86 years (sans the two seasons when the Yankees played at Shea Stadium in 1974 & 1975).
                You're not the first to make that error, as I have seen it in other places.
                How about THIS genius?!
                He puts "85 Years" in the TITLE of his book, no less ..... AND the publishers don't catch the error?!!!
                Attached Files
                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                  warning!! --- math content ahead!! --- warning!!!

Correction:
                  While "2008" minus "1923" is indeed 85 ...... If you count "1923" as year one, or the first year, yankee stadium actually served 86 years (sans the two seasons when the yankees played at shea stadium in 1974 & 1975). You're not the first to make that error, as i have seen it in other places.

yeah, i knew that going in. It is also common when determining years played. But when the percentage came out to 45.8%, two years were wasted at shea, and i could've deducted the last five years and called it 81 years, i figured what the hell, the point was made.
                  lol.......!!
                  www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• 85 years, 86 seasons, it's just semantics.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Here's www.saveyankeestadium.org losing a year in the math.......
                      Attached Files
                      www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
                        Granted, not all of them are Baseball only. Although, few of the stadiums now getting demolished were ever Baseball only.

Riverfront, Three Rivers, Shea (just barely over), Metropolitan, Metrodome (technically), Memorial Stadium (a little over), Exhibition stadium, Astrodome, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Skydome...

I've probably missed a few. 40 years seems to be the shelf life.
                        Skydome ? Are they planning on building a new baseball only stadium in Toronto ?

Comment

• Here's a guy who makes up little (replica) plaques, made to resemble the plaques that were issued with some of the seats from the Old Stadium. In his case, I think IF you use the word "anniversay", you're covered. You celebrate your 1st anniversary the year after the event. So, on Opening Day of 2008, the Yankees celebrated their 85th (previous) years in the facility ..... and then began playing their 86th one there. But on 9/21/08, they had completed 86 years on 161st & River (sans 1974 & 1975), not 85. The people who say "85 Years" are just subtracting 2008 from 1923 & leaving it at that, which is incorrect.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by RichieA13; 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM.
                          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

Didn't do any actual hard research, but I did find some dates. Also note that all of these stadiums were located in foul weather areas, for lack of a better phrase, and were subjected to the elements of hard winters.
                            From most recent to oldest . . .

The Kingdome, Seattle 1977-1999 (23)
                            Exhibition Stadium, Toronto 1977-1989 (13)
                            Arlington Stadium, Texas 1972-1993 (22)
                            Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia 1971-2004 (34)
                            Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh 1970-2000 (30)
                            Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati 1970-2002 (32)
                            Jary Park, Montreal 1969-1976 (8)
                            Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta 1966-1996 (31)
                            Astrodome, Houston 1965-1999 (35)
                            Shea Stadium, NY 1964-2009 (46) The only one that surpassed 40 years

From TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLPARK - An Illustrated Tour of Baseball Parks Past and Present. (There's a phrase that has fallen by the wayside, Baseball Parks.)
                            Note that a couple of these were not demolished after their baseball careers.
                            Also, some did serve both baseball & football such as Three Rivers & Riverfront. Like I said, I didn't do hard research.

Comment

• The next person who posts a comment about the actual demo of YS wins a prize.

Comment

• Man, I really hate to see the old stadium get demolished.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X