Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
    We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

When was the last time that a baseball only facility only lasted forty years?
    Angel Stadium is 43, but Arte Moreno has been saying for the past few years that the stadium is outdated and needs to be replaced. He has stated quite emphatically, that when the current lease is up in 2016 he's out of there.
    I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
    - Walt Whitman

Comment

• The next person who posts a comment about the actual demo of YS wins a prize.

You're right, it has gotten out of control, and you're not the first to mention it. But you have to consider that everyone's been talking about the demise of Yankee Stadium for probably a year or better, this thread is on its 100th page, and Yankee Stadium still hovers over the Bronx like it owns the place, and in my opinion it does.
      There are a lot of passionate people like myself who believe that a huge mistake, along with an injustice is being made. Anyone who follows baseball even on a part-time basis understands the historical and morality issues that this Stadium carries with it, and it seems that they have been totally ignored for reasons that only those in charge know, and they ain't talkin'.
      I still boil when I think back to when the Steinbrenner Gang took over, and within two years time had gutted the place, rendering it unworthy of historical consideration as a landmark, ultimately placing it in the category of "to be demolished at a future date."
      The decisions to abandon it based on such things as age and costly repairs were insulting to me and others, especially since 1.5 billion dollars would've rebuilt, repaired and renovated it very nicely.
      Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, as everyone knows, are older, yet they are the envy of both leagues. Can you imagine how the pre-renovated Yankee Stadium would look with the original frieze still intact, seafoam green seats and regular maintenance performed on it? Everyone seems to love the new Stadium while the old one fades away. I've wondered if anyone with any influence ever mentioned that it would be wrong to bring Yankee Stadium down, or if any serious consideration was ever given to retain it in some fashion. It could've been completely rebuilt with the additional outside wall like the new place has for far less than 1.5 billion dollars, but it appears that the green has clouded everyone's minds.

Comment

• Sucks they're demolishing Yankee Stadium. It really, really, really sucks.

What I win?

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          The next person who posts a comment about the actual demo of YS wins a prize.

You're right, it has gotten out of control, and you're not the first to mention it. But you have to consider that everyone's been talking about the demise of Yankee Stadium for probably a year or better, this thread is on its 100th page, and Yankee Stadium still hovers over the Bronx like it owns the place, and in my opinion it does.
          There are a lot of passionate people like myself who believe that a huge mistake, along with an injustice is being made. Anyone who follows baseball even on a part-time basis understands the historical and morality issues that this Stadium carries with it, and it seems that they have been totally ignored for reasons that only those in charge know, and they ain't talkin'.
          I still boil when I think back to when the Steinbrenner Gang took over, and within two years time had gutted the place, rendering it unworthy of historical consideration as a landmark, ultimately placing it in the category of "to be demolished at a future date."
          The decisions to abandon it based on such things as age and costly repairs were insulting to me and others, especially since 1.5 billion dollars would've rebuilt, repaired and renovated it very nicely.
          Fenway Park and Wrigley Field, as everyone knows, are older, yet they are the envy of both leagues. Can you imagine how the pre-renovated Yankee Stadium would look with the original frieze still intact, seafoam green seats and regular maintenance performed on it? Everyone seems to love the new Stadium while the old one fades away. I've wondered if anyone with any influence ever mentioned that it would be wrong to bring Yankee Stadium down, or if any serious consideration was ever given to retain it in some fashion. It could've been completely rebuilt with the additional outside wall like the new place has for far less than 1.5 billion dollars, but it appears that the green has clouded everyone's minds.
          I'm not sure what Steinbrenner's role was in the design of the new stadium. Mike Burke and Mayor Lindsay's role was far more significant and both gentlemen deserve a tremendous amount of credit because the renovation was absolutely flawless. People whine and cry about the loss of the frieze, but the addition of the outfield frieze was a huge and underrated addition following the renovation. From 1976-2008 what would you rather have looked at...a bunch of embarrassing tenements showcasing the poorest Congressional District in America or an impressive looking frieze that enclosed the stadium keeping it insulated from New York's late 1970's implosion.

Comment

• I wouldn't say the renovation was flawless. It's an engineering marvel eliminating the posts and preserving the overhang like they did, but I always thought RYS had a bit of a cold, 70s concrete feel to it, especially in the early years when there were fewer ads. The outfield frieze was a great idea, and who cares if it's concrete instead of copper. The NYS scoreboard looks weird without it, and I'd say the frieze was more noticeable in the outfield at RYS than it is on the roof in NYS
            1997 2003
            Parks I've visited: 30 for 30, plus 5 closed

Comment

• YES was showing the Sutton vs. Guidry game from '78. Before the game, they showed the pre game that NBC had and they did a shoot from monument park. I thought that it just looked so unfinished and the stadium itself seemed unfinished. The way that MP looked like in 08 was probably the best it ever looked. I think alot of love for RYS came with the success of the Yankees in the late '70's and then in the '90's. I think if the Yankees were terrible after the renovation, then it would catch alot more flack from the purists. I for one however, loved the renovated stadium and will remain one of my favorite ballparks to have seen a game in.

Comment

We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

When was the last time that a baseball only facility only lasted forty years?

Didn't do any actual hard research, but I did find some dates. Also note that all of these stadiums were located in foul weather areas, for lack of a better phrase, and were subjected to the elements of hard winters.
                From most recent to oldest . . .

The Kingdome, Seattle 1977-1999 (23)
                Exhibition Stadium, Toronto 1977-1989 (13)
                Arlington Stadium, Texas 1972-1993 (22)
                Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia 1971-2004 (34)
                Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh 1970-2000 (30)
                Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati 1970-2002 (32)
                Jary Park, Montreal 1969-1976 (8)
                Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta 1966-1996 (31)
                Astrodome, Houston 1965-1999 (35)
                Shea Stadium, NY 1964-2009 (46) The only one that surpassed 40 years

From TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLPARK - An Illustrated Tour of Baseball Parks Past and Present. (There's a phrase that has fallen by the wayside, Baseball Parks.)
                Note that a couple of these were not demolished after their baseball careers.
                Also, some did serve both baseball & football such as Three Rivers & Riverfront. Like I said, I didn't do hard research.
                Some? How about all of them except Jary Park (which is a tennis stadium now) and Arlington.

Comment

• To begin with, my mention of George Steinbrenner was only to imply that the Stadium was gutted after he took control of the team. As for Mike Burke and Mayor Lindsay, Burke was under orders from CBS, who owned the Yankees from 1964 until 1973, to shake things up by threatening to move the franchise to New Jersey.
                  Burke had no baseball experience, and his only credentials were as a WWII Special Agent and a Video Executive, yet he was promoted to President in 1966. After finishing dead last that year his priority was to fire both Red Barber and Mel Allen from the broadcast booth.
                  Ultimately a deal was made between Burke and Lindsay to purchase the stadium from Rice University and the ground it stood on from the Knights of Columbus for 24 million dollars with the Yankees renting the premises from the city.
                  CBS decided it was time to divest itself of its problem, and sold the team to Steinbrenner and a loss. It was after the sale that the city decided to proceed with the renovation.
                  Regarding the frieze, compared to the highly detailed copper structure that adorned the roof from corner to corner, that cast piece of crap in center field was nothing more than cheap glitter. As for the sight line over the center field wall, yes, I'd rather look at what is there now, but only while I sit in the original stadium. That was the whole point of leaving the stadium alone. It wasn't only the stadium, but the surrounding neighborhood that gave it the historic and nostalgic feel that made it what it was. You're looking at a 1953 Corvette that the owner reupholsters with velour and drops in a blown big block. They just don't go together.
                  This is my opinion only. You may have an opinion of your own, and I would be more than happy to hear it. If I spelled any words incorrectly, please, leave it at that.

Comment

To begin with, my mention of George Steinbrenner was only to imply that the Stadium was gutted after he took control of the team. As for Mike Burke and Mayor Lindsay, Burke was under orders from CBS, who owned the Yankees from 1964 until 1973, to shake things up by threatening to move the franchise to New Jersey.
                    Burke had no baseball experience, and his only credentials were as a WWII Special Agent and a Video Executive, yet he was promoted to President in 1966. After finishing dead last that year his priority was to fire both Red Barber and Mel Allen from the broadcast booth.
                    Ultimately a deal was made between Burke and Lindsay to purchase the stadium from Rice University and the ground it stood on from the Knights of Columbus for 24 million dollars with the Yankees renting the premises from the city.
                    CBS decided it was time to divest itself of its problem, and sold the team to Steinbrenner and a loss. It was after the sale that the city decided to proceed with the renovation.
                    Regarding the frieze, compared to the highly detailed copper structure that adorned the roof from corner to corner, that cast piece of crap in center field was nothing more than cheap glitter. As for the sight line over the center field wall, yes, I'd rather look at what is there now, but only while I sit in the original stadium. That was the whole point of leaving the stadium alone. It wasn't only the stadium, but the surrounding neighborhood that gave it the historic and nostalgic feel that made it what it was. You're looking at a 1953 Corvette that the owner reupholsters with velour and drops in a blown big block. They just don't go together.
                    This is my opinion only. You may have an opinion of your own, and I would be more than happy to hear it. If I spelled any words incorrectly, please, leave it at that.
                    That cast piece of crap is looking pretty good in comparison to what we have now though.

And what exactly was the B.S. reason for firing two of those iconic broadcasters? That was just an absolute disaster.
                    sigpic

Comment

• It was a mistake to fire Mel Allen. There are many rumors regarding Mel's termination, but no one from the Yankee organization has ever gone on record stating exactly way.

Rumors include Ballantine sales were dropping, he was making too much money, and other BS. I wonder how much money he was making in 1964? The Yankees hired Joe Garagiola in 1965 and he was very popular working through 1967. Did he leave voluntarily. I'm not sure if network guys in those days were allowed to broadcast locally? Do any of you old timers remember what the broadcast rotation was when Scooter, Garagiola, Jerry Coleman and Red Barber did the games in 1965-1966. I think I read somewhere Barber only did home games. The Yankees fired Red Barber in 1966 and for most of the next decade the team only went with three announcers...2 at a time on WPIX on only one on radio. Fran Healy did color on Yankee radio games from 1978-1981 and he had a great rapport with the Scooter.

Whitey Ford was an announcer from 1969-1971. Did he ever do play by play, or was he just a color guy? Did he broadcast all the team's games, or did he do limited duty like Mickey Mantle in the 80s?

Yankee announcers certainly aren't what they used to be. Sterling and Waldman get a bad rap. I like Suzyn. It's great that Sterling does 9 innings. It was absolutely criminal that Charley Steiner called that Aaron Boone home run. He should have the brains or the ethics to step aside. But the Yankee tv broadcasters aren't good. Singleton's boring and he doesn't root for the team. O'Neill's cool but he mails it in. Cone doesn't have the voice. Leiter's boring and Flaherty is bland, and Kay's annoying. One things is for certain..nobody will ever measure up to Phil Rizzuto and Bill White. If you're under 28 years old you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you're over 30 and were old enough to appreciate these two, you know they were the gold standard in making Yankee games on tv fun and they haven't been nor will they ever be replaced. If you're young ask around to see if you can get your hands on some old WPIX games.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                        It was a mistake to fire Mel Allen. There are many rumors regarding Mel's termination, but no one from the Yankee organization has ever gone on record stating exactly way.

Rumors include Ballantine sales were dropping, he was making too much money, and other BS. I wonder how much money he was making in 1964? The Yankees hired Joe Garagiola in 1965 and he was very popular working through 1967. Did he leave voluntarily. I'm not sure if network guys in those days were allowed to broadcast locally? Do any of you old timers remember what the broadcast rotation was when Scooter, Garagiola, Jerry Coleman and Red Barber did the games in 1965-1966. I think I read somewhere Barber only did home games. The Yankees fired Red Barber in 1966 and for most of the next decade the team only went with three announcers...2 at a time on WPIX on only one on radio. Fran Healy did color on Yankee radio games from 1978-1981 and he had a great rapport with the Scooter.

Whitey Ford was an announcer from 1969-1971. Did he ever do play by play, or was he just a color guy? Did he broadcast all the team's games, or did he do limited duty like Mickey Mantle in the 80s?

Yankee announcers certainly aren't what they used to be. Sterling and Waldman get a bad rap. I like Suzyn. It's great that Sterling does 9 innings. It was absolutely criminal that Charley Steiner called that Aaron Boone home run. He should have the brains or the ethics to step aside. But the Yankee tv broadcasters aren't good. Singleton's boring and he doesn't root for the team. O'Neill's cool but he mails it in. Cone doesn't have the voice. Leiter's boring and Flaherty is bland, and Kay's annoying. One things is for certain..nobody will ever measure up to Phil Rizzuto and Bill White. If you're under 28 years old you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but if you're over 30 and were old enough to appreciate these two, you know they were the gold standard in making Yankee games on tv fun and they haven't been nor will they ever be replaced. If you're young ask around to see if you can get your hands on some old WPIX games.
                        Everyone of course has their own tastes and are entitled to their own opinions. There are a few things I would like to chip in.

I can't take the sound of Waldman's voice. After that shameful unprofessional screamfest when Roger Clemens came back from the dead (or at least came back from non Yankee land) I just don't understand why she is gainfully employed.

I do not find Singleton boring and his job is NOT to root for the team. He is objective and his job is to report and add some insight. Fans root for the team. People that you mentioned like Red Barber NEVER rooted for any team from the 'catbird's seat'. Nothing is worse than a shill, and true fans can see through one.

Kay has grown on me. Again, he calls it square. He does not openly root, and he is not Mr Negative. He gives credit and blame where it is due. Even if that means giving credit to the other team.

Sterling can be entertaining, but his schtick can get tired.

As for Bill White and the Scooter, where is the love for Frank Messer? He held the fort down when Phil went off on a tangent. The trio worked together 1971-1985.

I think Jerry Coleman was around in the late 1960's too. And some guy named Bob Gamere was there in 1970 and was replaced by Bill White.

Again, just opinions.

Comment

• I'm a Met fan since 1969 and a baseball historian and I can readily admit the many areas that the Yankees have been better than the Mets, but I have to say that when it comes to broadcasting the games, the Mets have had better personnel over the years, hands down.

Comment

• Opinions are what this is all about, and none should be scrutinized to the point that they receive negative comments. To each his own.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
                              I'm a Met fan since 1969 and a baseball historian and I can readily admit the many areas that the Yankees have been better than the Mets, but I have to say that when it comes to broadcasting the games, the Mets have had better personnel over the years, hands down.
                              I'm a Yankee fan and I couldn't agree more. John Sterling blows!!!!!

He's so bad he drags down every single one before him!!!!
                              Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by cgcoyne2 View Post
                                I'm a Yankee fan and I couldn't agree more. John Sterling blows!!!!!

He's so bad he drags down every single one before him!!!!
                                Not to get too off topic, but for me forget all the calls and the things he does which don't really bother me, the thing I absolutely HATE that Sterling does is that he is so quick on calls.

For example I mean this. He's so ready to get to his next point or something he is talking about that lets say the pitch comes in heres what it sounds like.

"And when i was talking with Joe he explained to me..
                                theeeee pitch...low(no pause)how much he wanted to Keep Joba out there for that extra inning"
                                I HATE THAT, he makes it sound like as if what he is saying is more important then the game he is calling, he can just brush off a call to quickly get to "his" point.
                                Last edited by Jim Vaz; 07-29-2009, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X