Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Sterling is good when his calls are normal and somewhat genuine. A good "Thuuuuh Yankees win!" will work for me. But it's these stupid nicknames that are just driving me craaazy.

    The three sterling things that drive me insane:

    1. "Uh-back to back, and uh-belly to belly!" So stupid.

    2. "mmmmmmIT is high, mmmmmIT is far!" especially when "IT IS.....caught, at the wall. Ya know, Susan....I coulda sworn...."

    3. "El Comaduce!" always hated that, that was the absolute worst. wait until gardner hits a home run and he makes a reference to gardening or some sort of horticulture.





    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg9I...eature=related
    sigpic

    Comment


    • I like the current TV crew, they're just a bit low key for the most part. They'll never be another Rizzuto-White combo, they were the best. When Phil was in his prime, he was uncanny when calling batted balls. Right after contact- "That's gonna hook foul" as it misses the pole by inches- or before the batter's left the box- "He just got under it", and then the ball is caught with the fielder's back against the wall. More than a few times- "Hey, that's gone!" almost during the swing and it winds up landing in the first or second row. He had a great vantage point to see all the action at the late great Yankee Stadium and he took full advantage. It did drive me nuts when he'd leave early, we needed him there calling the late innings, but he wanted to hit the GW before everybody else, so out he went, ironically listening to the rest of the game on the radio.

      Comment


      • What was great about Rizzuto was that he was genuine. If you fake something out there, people will catch it pretty easily.

        I like Ken Singleton, but it usually helps to have guys like Paul O'Neill in there to provide a little more insight.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          We had a thread about this...WHY is it that some here are under the presumption that these new stadiums will only last 40 years?

          When was the last time that a baseball only facility only lasted forty years?


          Didn't do any actual hard research, but I did find some dates. Also note that all of these stadiums were located in foul weather areas, for lack of a better phrase, and were subjected to the elements of hard winters.
          From most recent to oldest . . .

          The Kingdome, Seattle 1977-1999 (23)
          Exhibition Stadium, Toronto 1977-1989 (13)
          Arlington Stadium, Texas 1972-1993 (22)
          Veterans Stadium, Philadelphia 1971-2004 (34)
          Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh 1970-2000 (30)
          Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati 1970-2002 (32)
          Jary Park, Montreal 1969-1976 (8)
          Fulton County Stadium, Atlanta 1966-1996 (31)
          Astrodome, Houston 1965-1999 (35)
          Shea Stadium, NY 1964-2009 (46) The only one that surpassed 40 years

          From TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLPARK - An Illustrated Tour of Baseball Parks Past and Present. (There's a phrase that has fallen by the wayside, Baseball Parks.)
          Note that a couple of these were not demolished after their baseball careers.
          Also, some did serve both baseball & football such as Three Rivers & Riverfront. Like I said, I didn't do hard research.
          Again, BASEBALL ONLY. Stadiums that were built for BAEBALL, not multi-purpose.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
            I like the current TV crew, they're just a bit low key for the most part. They'll never be another Rizzuto-White combo, they were the best. When Phil was in his prime, he was uncanny when calling batted balls. Right after contact- "That's gonna hook foul" as it misses the pole by inches- or before the batter's left the box- "He just got under it", and then the ball is caught with the fielder's back against the wall. More than a few times- "Hey, that's gone!" almost during the swing and it winds up landing in the first or second row. He had a great vantage point to see all the action at the late great Yankee Stadium and he took full advantage. It did drive me nuts when he'd leave early, we needed him there calling the late innings, but he wanted to hit the GW before everybody else, so out he went, ironically listening to the rest of the game on the radio.
            I think O'Neill is hilarious.
            Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
              I'm a Met fan since 1969 and a baseball historian and I can readily admit the many areas that the Yankees have been better than the Mets, but I have to say that when it comes to broadcasting the games, the Mets have had better personnel over the years, hands down.
              Definitely. Ron Darling is best at what he does.

              Comment


              • Wow, look what I found. And it's actually on the topic of the demolition of the old stadium.


                http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...es-for-412-50/


                Steiner sports sent some highlights from its online auction of old Yankee Stadium detritus that closed Sunday. An even bigger auction is planned for December, with items including A-Rod’s locker. Might make a nice Chanukah gift for Madonna.

                “Courage, Tradition and Heart” sign – $37,490

                Yankees stand-alone ticket booth – $14,375

                Yankee Stadium bat holder – $9,382

                “Batting practice” metal sign – $2,156

                Stadium rubble with case – $412.50

                http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...es-for-412-50/

                Comment


                • John Sterling

                  How often do you listen to John Sterling? A lot of his critics don't listen very often, they just listen to very short clips on WFAN or read what the repetitive critics have to say.

                  John Sterling never, ever adds the MMM inflection on a homerun call if there is doubt about it being a home run. So this is an unfair and inaccurate critique. He only goes into his act on a home run call if it's going to be long gone.

                  John Sterling is one of baseball's best broadcasters. He may not describe every little move in vivid detail, but what the listener misses description wise they gain with commentary. Sterling does play by play plus sports talk radio commentary and he's damn good at it. When the Yankees blew that lead against the Red Sox in 2004 he raked them over the coals and the team deserved it. Very few broadcasters rip their own team. If you listen often, and not many people do, Sterling frequently does this and he's very good at it. None of the old time broadcasters could get away with this. Years ago no broadcaster..whether it be news or sports gave their opinions. Today just about everybody does because viewers and listeners respond to commentary. Take O'Reilly. He's the highest rated cable news host ever. He was the first one to do commentary in news. Now everyone does it because he has been so successful at it.

                  Sterling should be in the Hall of Fame.














                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg9I...eature=related[/QUOTE]

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by DaBigMotor View Post
                    Again, BASEBALL ONLY. Stadiums that were built for BAEBALL, not multi-purpose.
                    Arlington Stadium, Texas 1972-1993 (22)
                    Jarry Park, Montreal 1969-1976 (8)

                    Both baseball only parks.

                    Originally posted by Mygirljess View Post
                    I'm a Met fan since 1969 and a baseball historian and I can readily admit the many areas that the Yankees have been better than the Mets, but I have to say that when it comes to broadcasting the games, the Mets have had better personnel over the years, hands down.
                    You have to be kidding me. the Mets broadcasters are dreadful. They're very boring to listen to, and I never feel like I'm getting all that much information out of them.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                      Skydome ? Are they planning on building a new baseball only stadium in Toronto ?
                      LOL! Sorry. I said Skydome but was thinking Kingdome.
                      Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                        Arlington Stadium, Texas 1972-1993 (22)
                        Jarry Park, Montreal 1969-1976 (8)

                        Both baseball only parks.



                        You have to be kidding me. the Mets broadcasters are dreadful. They're very boring to listen to, and I never feel like I'm getting all that much information out of them.
                        While we're on the subject of the Mets, Ebbets Field was only 43 when it hosted it's last game: 1913-1957

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jimmyjimjimz View Post
                          Wow, look what I found. And it's actually on the topic of the demolition of the old stadium.

                          http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...es-for-412-50/

                          http://www.demolitionofyankeestadium...es-for-412-50/
                          AMEN!

                          Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                          While we're on the subject of the Mets, Ebbets Field was only 43 when it hosted it's last game: 1913-1957

                          Why ARE we on the subject of the Mets? - or post after post on announcers? -- or the amount of time that various ballparks have lasted? :hissyfit:

                          Comment


                          • Triple J posted a link to some very nice demo photos with some good aerial shots (if you don't mind seeing a Shrine being demolished) at post 2497. It even had a survey in regards to which of the stadiums you prefer. The choices are the 1923-1975 stadium, the 1976-2008 stadium or the present stadium.

                            Though there were only 265 votes cast, the present stadium tallied 10%, the '76-'08 stadium had 36% and 1923-1975 tore it up with 54%. Ya' gotta' love it.

                            I'd have to say that this is an indication that the majority of those who voted were baby boomers. I wouldn't be surprised to see that 54% increase as the demolition progresses.

                            Comment


                            • That black curtain thing looks creepier every time I see it.
                              You can make out the stadium beneath it but it is almost ghost like.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
                                While we're on the subject of the Mets, Ebbets Field was only 43 when it hosted it's last game: 1913-1957
                                Forty FOUR, John .... :o
                                And when the 1957 season ended, she had served 45 seasons
                                Coincidentally, Shea Stadium served the fans of NYC longer than Ebbets Field did (by one year)!
                                Last edited by RichieA13; 07-30-2009, 05:40 PM.
                                ------------------------------------------
                                www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                                www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                                www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

                                ------------------------------------------

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X