X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I believe it was 45 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
      How often do you listen to John Sterling? A lot of his critics don't listen very often, they just listen to very short clips on WFAN or read what the repetitive critics have to say.

John Sterling never, ever adds the MMM inflection on a homerun call if there is doubt about it being a home run. So this is an unfair and inaccurate critique. He only goes into his act on a home run call if it's going to be long gone.

John Sterling is one of baseball's best broadcasters. He may not describe every little move in vivid detail, but what the listener misses description wise they gain with commentary. Sterling does play by play plus sports talk radio commentary and he's damn good at it. When the Yankees blew that lead against the Red Sox in 2004 he raked them over the coals and the team deserved it. Very few broadcasters rip their own team. If you listen often, and not many people do, Sterling frequently does this and he's very good at it. None of the old time broadcasters could get away with this. Years ago no broadcaster..whether it be news or sports gave their opinions. Today just about everybody does because viewers and listeners respond to commentary. Take O'Reilly. He's the highest rated cable news host ever. He was the first one to do commentary in news. Now everyone does it because he has been so successful at it.

Sterling should be in the Hall of Fame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg9I...eature=related
      [/QUOTE]

I. strongly disagree. Over the years I have called him the Blohard or the
      Buffoon. I cringe every time Suzyn introduces him as "The voice of the NY Yankees". Sadly, he is the voice, but why? The great NY Yankees can't come up with two more polished, professional announcers? His knicknames on the HR calls are juvenile and embarassing. And her voice--I hate when it gets gravelly when she's excited, like on every post-game interview.
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
        strongly disagree. Over the years I have called him the Blohard or the
        Buffoon. I cringe every time Suzyn introduces him as "The voice of the NY Yankees". Sadly, he is the voice, but why? The great NY Yankees can't come up with two more polished, professional announcers? His knicknames on the HR calls are juvenile and embarassing. And her voice--I hate when it gets gravelly when she's excited, like on every post-game interview.
        I love how her Boston accent comes through too. They both are embarrassments to a classy organization. Between his nicknames and her crying its kind of pathetic.

Comment

• I. strongly disagree. Over the years I have called him the Blohard or the
          Buffoon. I cringe every time Suzyn introduces him as "The voice of the NY Yankees". Sadly, he is the voice, but why? The great NY Yankees can't come up with two more polished, professional announcers? His knicknames on the HR calls are juvenile and embarassing. And her voice--I hate when it gets gravelly when she's excited, like on every post-game interview.[/QUOTE]

10 years ago when the Yankees were winning playoff game after playoff game nobody was complaining about John Sterling, except Mushnick and Raissman. Outside of a few nicknames, which you only hear a couple times a night his critics simply pile on. John Sterling gets people talking. A lot of people who complain about him don't even listen. They just read stuff or hear a few clips on WFAN. Up until I got satellite in 2004 John Sterling was the only Yankee outlet I could get because when I was growing up in New England WPIX was only doing 50 games a year, and in 1994 my cable company removed PIX from the lineup. I've spent thousands of hours listening to John Sterling since 1989. He's one of the best in baseball. He has the best voice in the game, I love the enthusiasm and his homerun call and his game ending call is the best in baseball. And if it wasn't ESPN wouldn't be replaying it year after year.

A lot of the Waldman criticism is sexist, and people would be criticizing any woman. Sure, on some words her Boston accent is obvious, but on other words she has a New York accent. She's spent more time in New York than Boston over the course of her lifetime. Both Sterling and Waldman get along great and they genuinely like each other unlike Sterling and Steiner who had zero chemistry.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
            They both are embarrassments to a classy organization.
            I see nothing classy about this organization anymore. The class and its embrace of history are gone. They are just another team in their new, souless stadium. I can't defend them anymore. I watch with a new found detachment these days.
            Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Monument, Mets16, scooterfan,

Can we PLEASE stop discussing announcers in the thread? :crossfingers:

Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                Monument, Mets16, scooterfan,

Can we PLEASE stop discussing announcers in the thread? :crossfingers:

Thanks.
                Sorry Sparky. I myself hate it when a thread gets hijacked like that. I didn't even realize that I did that until I went back today. It's just that Sterling actually makes me angry with all his stuff.
                Back on topic. I'm going to the Yogi Museum on sunday for a Thurman Munson presentation, with a side trip to the old Stadium for photos. Ill let you guys know if anything new is happening.
                Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                  I see nothing classy about this organization anymore. The class and its embrace of history are gone. They are just another team in their new, souless stadium. I can't defend them anymore. I watch with a new found detachment these days.
                  I totally agree with you, except the new found detachment part. OYS will be history soon, and I once said years ago that I hope I'm dead before that happens. For obvious reasons I now recant that statement. (It was a joke, God. Gimme' a break.) Since NYS will now assume the burdens of OYS/RYS, the only thing that will justify it is for the Yankees to resume kicking butt like they used to. Right now they seem to be on the right track.

Comment

• The Yankees boast the worst radio broadcast team in the game. They are painful to listen to.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.R. View Post
                      The Yankees boast the worst radio broadcast team in the game. They are painful to listen to.
                      Still talking announcers in a Stadium forum??

Comment

• Originally posted by J.R. View Post
                        The Yankees boast the worst radio broadcast team in the game. They are painful to listen to.
                        BS!! If John Sterling was that painful to listen to he wouldn't be entering his 21st year behind the mike in the Yankee booth. From 1982-1988 Yankee broadcasters were heading in and out of the Yankee booth like cattle, and it wasn't until 1989 when they found someone in sterling who took up permanent residence. More baseball fans hear John Sterling's calls than any other broadcaster in America.

As a Cubs fan I'm sure you know a thing or two about bad broadcasting. Harry Caray in a traditional sense was a terrible broadcaster who broke all the rules, but as Phil Rizzuto used to say rules were made to be broken.. and first and foremost Harry was a character who the fans loved, and the Cubs in large part have the biggest following in the middle of the country in large part because of WGN and Harry Caray.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                          How often do you listen to John Sterling? A lot of his critics don't listen very often, they just listen to very short clips on WFAN or read what the repetitive critics have to say.

John Sterling never, ever adds the MMM inflection on a homerun call if there is doubt about it being a home run. So this is an unfair and inaccurate critique. He only goes into his act on a home run call if it's going to be long gone.

John Sterling is one of baseball's best broadcasters. He may not describe every little move in vivid detail, but what the listener misses description wise they gain with commentary. Sterling does play by play plus sports talk radio commentary and he's damn good at it. When the Yankees blew that lead against the Red Sox in 2004 he raked them over the coals and the team deserved it. Very few broadcasters rip their own team. If you listen often, and not many people do, Sterling frequently does this and he's very good at it. None of the old time broadcasters could get away with this. Years ago no broadcaster..whether it be news or sports gave their opinions. Today just about everybody does because viewers and listeners respond to commentary. Take O'Reilly. He's the highest rated cable news host ever. He was the first one to do commentary in news. Now everyone does it because he has been so successful at it.

Sterling should be in the Hall of Fame.
                          I listen unfortunately all the time. My main problem with him is this:

He thinks he knows more than everybody, I MEAN EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!

He's a pompous ass!!!!!!!!!!!

He says something stupid then he chuckles. Like he's imparting something great and he's allowing you to listen. HE BLOWS!!!! In my mind I see him in the booth wiping his lips with a handkerchief after he deigns us worthy of the pearls he imparts on us. Screw you you pompous ass!!!

You know who I liken him to? Chick Hearn of Los Angeles Lakers fame. How's this for announcing?

"Magic enters the lane and throws up a baby hook, JUST LIKE I THOUGHT HE WOULD, it's good!!!!"

Just like you thought he would? F you Chick. How about that?

I will also add this: I know he's getting older and he makes mistakes. This doesn't bother me, it really doesn't. I know these announcers stay around for a long time and they get old. I honestly don't like when the guys on WFAN make fun of his mistakes like that. That's a dirty trick.
                          Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• John Sterling has always made mistakes. It's never bothered me. He's just under a larger microscope now, and WFAN for the past 7 years has had full access to his broadcasts because WCBS, which has broadcast Yankee games since 2002 is owned by the same company that owns WFAN. From 1989-2001 the Yankees were on a WFAN competitor and the WFAN rarely played WABC's clips because legally they couldn't.

Chick Hearn was a legend and he had to be doing something right because he worked to his dying day in America's second largest market. He and Johnny Most are the two most famous local basketball announcers in NBA history and Sterling would be honored to be compared to Chick Hearn.

Comment

• The announcers thing is my fault . . . sort of. I happened to mention in a post about three days ago that Mike Burke, president of the Yankees when CBS owned them, had fired both Red Barber and Mel Allen following the team finishing in last place, and it took off from there.

Seriously guys, it's too much. You should start a thread for announcers and/ or broadcasters, if there isn't already one.

Comment

• So,what is the status on the demo of the Stadium? When will there be noticeable changes? Every time I'm at the Stadium for a game it looks like nothing is happening.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X