No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard they started taking down the facade today. Can anyone confirm or take pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
      My original theory, which would probably save the city and/or Yankees countless amounts of money, and aslo serve as a "thank you" gesture to the fans for their recent loyal support, would be to hold a "One Day Only" open house and let them go at it. They would strip it cleaner than a flock of buzzards on a sheep carcass.
      That would NEVER happen.
      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by mitch300 View Post
        I heard they started taking down the facade today. Can anyone confirm or take pictures.
        the frieze you mean?

Comment

• Originally posted by trueblue9441 View Post
          the frieze you mean?
          You mean the 1973-76 prefab around the outfield that replaced the real one taken down and chopped up in 1974.

Comment

• Call it whatever you want to - the important question is, can anyone confirm what mitch300 heard, that it's being taken down?
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I heard they started taking down the facade today. Can anyone confirm or take pictures.
              Where did you 'hear' this?

Comment

• Originally posted by IPO View Post
                This is why there is a shroud around the current YS, so Steiner can can sell every bit of gravel and dust around it when it's carefully chipped away at soon. This has become an archeological site in a lot of ways for Brandon Steiner who is no archeologist.

How would that save the city money unless these people show up with demolition equipment that could bulldoze the stadium but likely kill themselves and others in the process if it compromised it's structural integrity? We saw your idea after the final game in 1973 and before that game the plaques of the monuments were removed and people were tearing out rows of seats.

The only thank you gesture is for the Yankees (and the city) to make more money in something presented as a guise that they are thanking us.

For myself anything short of everyone responsible for this disaster being thrown in jail immediately with the Yankees paying every penny for the steakhouse ballpark demolished entirely and the real stadium renovated entirely and opened for baseball with McCombs Dam Park restored with the Steinbrenner family forced to divest interest entirely (after they pay every penny for everything) is the only thank you gesture that works for me with the same thing done in Queens to Fredo and Jeff R Us.
                If this was the 50's you'd most likely be in jail. If you get what I mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                  Where did you 'hear' this?
                  From someone who was by the Stadium today. It was an email that said they started to take down the facade. I have not had a chance to ask this person for details, that's why I posted here to see if anyone has seen this.

Comment

• I hope they knock down that hideous concrete spiral escalator that replaced Gate 4 first, as a reminder of how they ruined and destroyed OYS.

I'll be saddened because of the memories, good times and championships left behind, but how the city first neglected OYS and then gave it an abomination of a facelift was a disgrace. Still, it'll break my heart when it goes down.

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
                      My original theory, which would probably save the city and/or Yankees countless amounts of money, and aslo serve as a "thank you" gesture to the fans for their recent loyal support, would be to hold a "One Day Only" open house and let them go at it. They would strip it cleaner than a flock of buzzards on a sheep carcass.

Man, a lot of you took this way to seriously. It was just my mind running aimlessly. I KNOW that it won't save money, I KNOW that a thank you gesture from Big George would never be considered, I KNOW that a free for all would never happen, and I also know that anything that would remotely benefit anyone would stand as much of a chance of happening as selling Red Hots in hell. But if they cut us loose on the stadium, I just KNOW that it would be stripped like a flock of buzzards on a sheep carcass.

Comment

From someone who was by the Stadium today. It was an email that said they started to take down the facade. I have not had a chance to ask this person for details, that's why I posted here to see if anyone has seen this.
                        Unfortunately, the Yankees don't come back to New York until next Monday, so unless someone wants to make a special trip up there to see if anything can be seen through the left field gap, we won't know until then... and hopefully someone going to one of those games will get some shots from the last row in order to prove or disprove.
                        X
                        What's THAT guy doing?
                        - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          Unfortunately, the Yankees don't come back to New York until next Monday, so unless someone wants to make a special trip up there to see if anything can be seen through the left field gap, we won't know until then... and hopefully someone going to one of those games will get some shots from the last row in order to prove or disprove.
                          I was there on Sunday and everything "frieze wise" was still there. Who knows what could have happened since then. Do we have any #4 train commuters that could drop us a quick line here?

(BTW Gary, I LOVE all of your photo work. I'm sure I'm only the 137,000th peson that's said that but I just wanted to tell you!)

Comment

• i don't know if someone will go sooner, but i had planned on going to the stadium tomorrow. i'll be sure to get some good pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                              I'll probably take some heat for this opinion, and I've never actually been there, but to me Wrigley, at least on TV, doesn't look like anything special. It's old, but I don't see any destinctive features other than ivy on the outfield walls. Maybe this place does have something to do with them never winning. Ballparks don't win games, but they can contibute to the overall mood of a franchise. If I were a Cubs fan, I'd be looking for some kind of change to freshen things up.
                              I've been to Wrigley, and I can tell you that the atmosphere is really cool, only because it has a high school feel to it. The way the concourses, isles, and seating are set up, it is VERY different than all the other ballparks I've been to. However, I was not "blown-away" at all by either the exterior or the interior. I actually had a more pleasant experience and was taken aback more when we went to U.S. Cellular.

Like most of us on this forum, when I watch sporting events (baseball, football, basketball, etc.) on TV, I try to study every little detail of the stadium: the seating bowl, dugouts, outfield set-up, how close the fans appear and at what angle they sit, and any distinctive attributes that stadium has. Wrigley, I will agree is underwhelming; to a certain extent Fenway, as well. I noticed that in both parks, the support columns are not evenly spaced as they were in OYS. There are also a lot of quirky angles that don't make sense in both parks, and it makes the park appear to be unbalanced, which hurts my mind's eye as I try to understand the architect's intentions and thought process. This is the reason I love OYS so much (in pictures and video clips, of course); EVERYTHING seems to make sense, and seems balanced and with a direct purpose. The frieze/flag poles lining up perfectly with the support columns is the absolute pinnacle of this balanced approach to architecture. This is not true in the NYS, and it upsets me.
                              Last edited by locke40; 09-02-2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: Yankee Stadium Support Columns
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by yankees650B View Post
                                i don't know if someone will go sooner, but i had planned on going to the stadium tomorrow. i'll be sure to get some good pictures.
                                Id go but coming from eastern LI its a bit of a hike to maybe not find anything new....

In the meantime i guess we can chuckle at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3s46Zjdj20

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X