Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    I've been to Wrigley, and I can tell you that the atmosphere is really cool, only because it has a high school feel to it. The way the concourses, isles, and seating are set up, it is VERY different than all the other ballparks I've been to. However, I was not "blown-away" at all by either the exterior or the interior. I actually had a more pleasant experience and was taken aback more when we went to U.S. Cellular.

Like most of us on this forum, when I watch sporting events (baseball, football, basketball, etc.) on TV, I try to study every little detail of the stadium: the seating bowl, dugouts, outfield set-up, how close the fans appear and at what angle they sit, and any distinctive attributes that stadium has. Wrigley, I will agree is underwhelming; to a certain extent Fenway, as well. I noticed that in both parks, the support columns are not evenly spaced as they were in OYS. There are also a lot of quirky angles that don't make sense in both parks, and it makes the park appear to be unbalanced, which hurts my mind's eye as I try to understand the architect's intentions and thought process. This is the reason I love OYS so much (in pictures and video clips, of course); EVERYTHING seems to make sense, and seems balanced and with a direct purpose. The frieze/flag poles lining up perfectly with the support columns is the absolute pinnacle of this balanced approach to architecture. This is not true in the NYS, and it upsets me.
    I think the main reason why Wrigley and Fenway seem unbalanced and hap-hazard compared to OYS is because while OYS was throughly planned, even to the point of the design allowing for further expansion, Wrigley and Fenway were small ballparks that were added onto and changed drastically over the years that were not foreseen by the original designers. Wrigley was a small, one decked structure that was sliced up, moved, rotated and a second deck added to it. Fenway was shoehorned into a small plot of land and remodeled a couple of decades after it was built and recently the park has gone through several expansions.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
      John Sterling is good when his calls are normal and somewhat genuine. A good "Thuuuuh Yankees win!" will work for me. But it's these stupid nicknames that are just driving me craaazy.

The three sterling things that drive me insane:

1. "Uh-back to back, and uh-belly to belly!" So stupid.

2. "mmmmmmIT is high, mmmmmIT is far!" especially when "IT IS.....caught, at the wall. Ya know, Susan....I coulda sworn...."

3. "El Comaduce!" always hated that, that was the absolute worst. wait until gardner hits a home run and he makes a reference to gardening or some sort of horticulture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlg9I...eature=related

At least he's not breaking into show tunes any more like he did earlier on.

Comment

• Originally posted by stlfan View Post
        I think the main reason why Wrigley and Fenway seem unbalanced and hap-hazard compared to OYS is because while OYS was throughly planned, even to the point of the design allowing for further expansion, Wrigley and Fenway were small ballparks that were added onto and changed drastically over the years that were not foreseen by the original designers. Wrigley was a small, one decked structure that was sliced up, moved, rotated and a second deck added to it. Fenway was shoehorned into a small plot of land and remodeled a couple of decades after it was built and recently the park has gone through several expansions.
        stlfan, you make very good points. I guess the fact that the architects thoroughly planned out OYS, and pulled off the extensions so seamlessly, is the reason the Stadium turned out to be such a beautiful structure.

What I don't understand is given all the modern technologies, as well as the money spent on research and development for these "modern" ballparks, why don't they possess the same charm and architectural integrity as their grandfathers? Even though the modern ballparks are touted as having "no obstructed seats," we all know this is simply not true; I will even venture to guess that the obstructed seats of the old ballparks were easier to deal with because you knew exactly what you were getting into. You might have a support column in your way, but so did tons of other people in your section and all over the park. Someone who goes to Citifield for the first time, won't know that they might have a glass staircase in their way. Where has the integrity, craftsmanship, and skill of these modern architects gone?
        sigpic

Comment

• I decided to shun the research for the moment so as to get this posted while the conversation is still on OYS, Fenway & Wrigley Fields.
          I'm loosing my memory faster than I can think about it, but didn't Osborn Engineering design, and/or White Construction put up all three ballparks, or at least two out of three?

If that is the case, the overall design, and differences in each one is probably related to preferrence of the owners. Also, I have knowledge that Fenway was specifically built on that location knowing that Lansdowne Street would be in the way.

Yankee Stadium cannot be compared to the other two since it was designed to be huge, and did not have as much restriction in regards to available land. The city was built around the stadium, but not so for Fenway and Wrigley.

Also, if you use your imagination, you can see the similarities in the bleachers between YS and Fenway, especially the one large section with many angles.

I find it interesting that some of you mention Fenway and Wrigley as unballanced. This may be, but I don't really see it at all. However, I do find it ironic that they are the two oldest in baseball, still standing firmly and with no plans to do anything about it. Maybe those responsible have more foresight when it comes to preventative maintenance as opposed to the third oldest ballpark.

Comment

• Originally posted by mitch300 View Post
            I heard they started taking down the facade today. Can anyone confirm or take pictures.
            It's true. They're starting with the left field side.

Here's a photo I took earlier today...

X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• please stop showing these pictures

Comment

• it's happening.
                sigpic

Comment

• Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                    please stop showing these pictures
                    This is a "Yankee Stadium Demolition" thread. We don't take requests . . . or orders. Especially orders.

Comment

• Ugh, I think a part of me just died a little looking at that picture, Gary. This is going to suck...

Comment

• :dismay: :dismay: :dismay:

I was just there on Monday checking out the new "rooftop" park across from NYS and didn't even notice they were dismantling anything since nothing has really been going on since the seat removal.

I guess it's really happening, but maybe it's for the best because that whole side of the street RYS is on is such a mess now. I really hope the folks gunning for the Gate 2 preservation are able to convince the powers that be to keep it up.

Comment

• Photos from Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First, three photos showing that the frieze is coming down...

Next, some other views that may be of interest...

This entrance was just to the left of the advance ticket windows. Make a left and you'll find "Carl's Steaks" and the other specialty food concessions.

Gate 6.

The rest of my demolition photos from yesterday, including more of the frieze, can be found on Flickr.
                          X
                          What's THAT guy doing?
                          - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• excellent photos as always Gary.

I see you also made it into the rooftop "park" as well. I finally made it in there as well and it's really and embarrassment to call the place a park. It feels really cramped inside, that fake grass isn't all that great and the whole look is a bit unfinished. It seems like more of the priority was on the garage and the park was an after thought. The whole block with NYS on it should just be fenced off with a little tunnel cut out leading to the Metro North station.

The park lacks everything that Macombs had, like trees, a real track and it was ground level too. This new park has all the new stuff in there but there no real shade (those umbrellas dont count) and it must be tough for those kids to play in there. You'd probably have way more fun walking over to Mullaly Park.

Comment

• I had been holding out hope the frieze would be left to ring that side of the park. Oh well. Maybe it will be reused and mounted lower to the grass?
                              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                                I had been holding out hope the frieze would be left to ring that side of the park. Oh well. Maybe it will be reused and mounted lower to the grass?
                                Fake RYS frieze fail!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X