Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
    I concluded that since the Metlife ad with the count down display was temporary, they merely installed it over the PO ad.
    And you'll note that there's a part of the ad that's been cut out. That has to have been where the "clock" portion of the countdown clock was installed.
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

I just saw something that I doubt anyone else has. In one of the photos that yankies4life posted above you can see the ad for the Postal Service. I have photos of the last game and it was not there. The photos from the last game revealed that the Metlife.com ad with the days remaining display was in its place. I concluded that since the Metlife ad with the count down display was temporary, they merely installed it over the PO ad.
      Actually, the real reason that I saw this is because I retired from the Postal Service a few years ago, and I despise anything and everything associated with it, so it caught my eye when I saw it here.
      Also that BUD sign is old too.
      Ballparks, Stadiums, & Green Diamonds Died In '08

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
        So, is that what they mean when they say "They went postal ?"
        "Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There's never a letup, it's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it's Publisher's Clearinghouse Day...!"

-Newman

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
          "Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There's never a letup, it's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it's Publisher's Clearinghouse Day...!"

-Newman
          Kramer: Wait, wait, wait... Sergio Mendes has a cult following.
          Newman: They follow him like a cult.
          Kramer: He can't even walk down the street in South America!

To get back on topic, is anyone else bothered by the font on the auxiliary scoreboards? The numbers seem so squished; they could have made them much wider and easier to read. Poor, poor job. Also, I HATE the upper and lower case letters for certain positions: "rF", "dH", "1b", etc. Why couldn't they just replicate the old auxiliary boards? They were beautiful.
          Last edited by locke40; 09-11-2009, 06:48 AM. Reason: September 20th: Seinfeld Reunion!
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
            is anyone else bothered by the font on the auxiliary scoreboards? The numbers seem so squished; they could have made them much wider and easier to read. Poor, poor job. Also, I HATE the upper and lower case letters for certain positions: "rF", "dH", "1b", etc. Why couldn't they just replicate the old auxiliary boards? They were beautiful.
            I'm in definite agreement with you on the font. You can never go wrong with Arial Black. I don't have as big a problem with the "rF", "dH", "1b", but I would not weep in lament if they were to improve that system.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
              I'm in definite agreement with you on the font. You can never go wrong with Arial Black. I don't have as big a problem with the "rF", "dH", "1b", but I would not weep in lament if they were to improve that system.
              The lowercase is of course because they're using a 7-segment digit. 5 and S both display the same etc. Maybe for nostalgia, who knows, but a full dot matrix to properly display the letters would look better.

I agree the font sucks. Tahoma would be a nice option I suppose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                The lowercase is of course because they're using a 7-segment digit. 5 and S both display the same etc. Maybe for nostalgia, who knows, but a full dot matrix to properly display the letters would look better.

I agree the font sucks. Tahoma would be a nice option I suppose.
                Cambria font reminds me of the YANKEE STADIUM letters on top of Gate 4
                sigpic

Comment

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/stinner...eball_stadiums
                  I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
                  - Walt Whitman

Comment

• If he hangs on for a FULL 8 seconds, he gets free buffalo wings & beer the rest of the night!
                    Ride 'em Cowboy! ............ YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
                    ------------------------------------------
                    www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                    www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                    www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• After the third date, Ralph and the frieze decided to take their budding relationship to the next level.

"Hey light concrete... how YOU doin?"

Comment

• That is a fantastic shot! It reminds me of the one from the Daily News of the workers painting the facade in '67. Some great ones on your flickr also.
                        Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• I have that shot from the Daily News of them painting the feieze in '67. It's a good close-up, also. One of the painters is literally hanging on to the frieze with one hand while painting with the other with a foot in one of the gaps, and no visible support whatsoever, not even a rope. The guy in this photo above doesn't appear to have anything in the event that he falls, either.

I recall seeing other workers at the stadium throw caution to the wind and do similar things, like the guy who was at the top of the foul pole with a can of paint and a paint brush, his legs wrapped around it and holding on for life. Man, what balls.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                            So, is that what they mean when they say "They went postal ?"
                            Man, that ain't even close. After 25 years in one of, if not the largest facility in Southern Cal, I could tell you stories that would have you calling me a liar. But I can tell you this, a year before I retired they tried to fire me, and they committed no less than three felonies trying, and I'm not afraid to say that I wanted them dead myself.
                            I would love to tell the whole story to anyone who wants to hear it. It would be the next best thing for me as opposed to going postal myself.

Comment

Man, that ain't even close. After 25 years in one of, if not the largest facility in Southern Cal, I could tell you stories that would have you calling me a liar. But I can tell you this, a year before I retired they tried to fire me, and they committed no less than three felonies trying, and I'm not afraid to say that I wanted them dead myself.
                              I would love to tell the whole story to anyone who wants to hear it. It would be the next best thing for me as opposed to going postal myself.
                              Haha voodoo I might take you up on that, you've definitely got me intriqued
                              sigpic

Comment

I have that shot from the Daily News of them painting the feieze in '67. It's a good close-up, also. One of the painters is literally hanging on to the frieze with one hand while painting with the other with a foot in one of the gaps, and no visible support whatsoever, not even a rope. The guy in this photo above doesn't appear to have anything in the event that he falls, either.

I recall seeing other workers at the stadium throw caution to the wind and do similar things, like the guy who was at the top of the foul pole with a can of paint and a paint brush, his legs wrapped around it and holding on for life. Man, what balls.
                                Send a photo to OSHA! That'll delay demolition. No, seriously.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X