No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That guy loves Yankee Stadium a little TOO much.
    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
      Haha voodoo I might take you up on that, you've definitely got me intriqued
      You got it. It's been 8 years since then, but everything they did is still fresh in my mind. All the stories you hear are true, but it's like what Yankee pitcher Waite Hoyt once said. "I quit telling people stories about Babe Ruth when I realized they didn't believe me." That's what I deal with. People don't believe me, and I can see it in their faces, and I don't blame them. It's so unbelievable that I'd probably think it was BS, too.

DrLev, you may have something there, but I'm not sure what the boundries are in regards to their jurisdiction. You would think that the Yankees would maintain safety regulations since they will take the heat for this if it is a violation. Shouldn't that guy be wearing a hard hat or something?

Comment

• Here's the photo of the guy at the top of the foul pole. After a closer look it appears that he may have some sort of homemade apparatus that may or may not save his butt, but in either case, like I said before, what balls. Maybe he's high. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          Here's the photo of the guy at the top of the foul pole. After a closer look it appears that he may have some sort of homemade apparatus that may or may not save his butt, but in either case, like I said before, what balls. Maybe he's high. (Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
          Where's OSHA when you need them???

Comment

• This may be a result of the naivete that comes from living a sheltered and cloistered life, but I figure these construction and demolition guys are all trained professionals who know what they're doing.
            X
            What's THAT guy doing?
            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Construction workers foul-pole dancing and riding frieze . . . whatever happened to BB Fever's wholesome family-oriented content? :blush:

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                Construction workers foul-pole dancing and riding frieze . . . whatever happened to BB Fever's wholesome family-oriented content? :blush:
                well, how do you make a family?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                  This may be a result of the naivete that comes from living a sheltered and cloistered life, but I figure these construction and demolition guys are all trained professionals who know what they're doing.
                  Never assume that - that could just as easily be some guy off the street that was told by a boss to "do this or lose your job" Been there too many times
                  Alcohol
                  Tobacco
                  Firearms
                  should be a convenience store,
                  not a government agency

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                    This may be a result of the naivete that comes from living a sheltered and cloistered life, but I figure these construction and demolition guys are all trained professionals who know what they're doing.

I wouldn't naturally assume that. The demo company that is doing Tiger Stadium has dropped pieces of the stadium on cars below and the entire upper deck behind home plate unexpectedly collapsed.
                    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Is that Brandon Steiner up there?

Comment

• Originally posted by lizrdkng67 View Post
                        is that brandon steiner up there?
                        "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

(Btw, the board won't let me go all caps! I really thing Steiner would say it in all caps...)
                        Last edited by JohnCropp; 09-16-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LizrdKng67 View Post
                          Is that Brandon Steiner up there?
                          Nah if it was you'd see hundred dollar bills flying around with every thrust

You know what's funny though? Some day this guy will be outed as the frieze humper. We'll see his pic alongside the WTC tourist guy, the fat Chinese kid, and the looter guy carrying the beer through flooded New Orleans.
                          Last edited by giantsean; 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• A few photos from Tuesday...

A lone security guard at the Gate 4 end of the 157th Street pedestrian plaza...

The de-freized right field end of the, er, frieze, as seen from River Avenue...

The rest of these photos were taken from the back row of the current Yankee Stadium. Here's the de-friezed right field wall...

A similar view to the above, but the vantage point for this photo was a section and a half closer to home plate of the current stadium... you can pretty much see all of the right field bleachers now...

I can't tell for sure, but is that the 2008 All-Star Game logo from atop the scoreboard sitting there all rolled up on that flatbed?

Fans waiting in front of Gate 2 to cross 161st Street to get to the current stadium...

And now, some seldom seen night views of the demolition. We're going to start with a night view of Gate 2...

The right field wall. Not much to see in the dark, I know, but that's part of the mystique... hallowed ground whose days are numbered, risky to tread on because of its current status as a demolition site... there's a kind of exotic aura to it...

This is one of my favorites... the ballpark is dark, but the subway station is lit, the token booth platform is lit, the lights in the apartments on Gerard Avenue are distinctly visible... wonder how the people who live in those buildings feel about not having the Yankee Stadium activity be as "in your face" as it used to be...

Finally, here's the one everyone's probably going to like the most, with to the Manhattan skyline in the distance... incidentally, Yankee Stadium pretty much lines up directly with Fifth Avenue, so the view of the Empire State Building is straight-on, not at an angle... anyway, it wasn't until after I reviewed my photos that I noticed something that really made this one awesome...

...and that was the lit Tier level portals on the first base side. Obviously the interior concourses are going to be lit up for the benefit of the demolition workers, but unlike Shea Stadium, whose concourses were open and visible from the street, Yankee Stadium's exterior walls make the interior an exotic mystery land in its present state.

The link to my Flickr set of demolition photos from September 15 can be found right here.
                            X
                            What's THAT guy doing?
                            - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Looks like OYS went through its final frieze-thaw cycle.

Comment

• great pics as usual gary...
                                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X