Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Monument
    • Feb 2007

Yes, Dick, it was the "facade" for almost 85 years until it became the frieze. Correct or not, I continue to refer to the old Stadium's crown as the facade, though I do call the new Stadium's the frieze. A couple of questions for you--It may sound crazy, but is it possible, as some of us have speculated, that the beam from the expansion joint that fell in 1998 was tampered with? Remember, Yanks management was trying to get a new Stadium, and what better way than to draw attention to a decaying old building than to have that happen during the 75th anniversary? The fact that it happened on an off day when the stands were empty only makes it more suspicious. Also, do you have any photos of the Stadium renovation project? Thanks.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• RationalNYYfan
      2009 World Champions
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by The Monument View Post
      Yes, Dick, it was the "facade" for almost 85 years until it became the frieze. Correct or not, I continue to refer to the old Stadium's crown as the facade, though I do call the new Stadium's the frieze. A couple of questions for you--It may sound crazy, but is it possible, as some of us have speculated, that the beam from the expansion joint that fell in 1998 was tampered with? Remember, Yanks management was trying to get a new Stadium, and what better way than to draw attention to a decaying old building than to have that happen during the 75th anniversary? The fact that it happened on an off day when the stands were empty only makes it more suspicious. Also, do you have any photos of the Stadium renovation project? Thanks.
      Seems like an interesting conspiracy, but I think the Yankees are powerful enough to not have to resort to something like that. If they want to build a new stadium, they'll get it done. They don't need to do something like that.
      sigpic

Comment

• Yankees12
        NYS: Home of Champions
        • Dec 2007

First off, the correct architectural term for the frieze is indeed the frieze, whether it's on the south side of 161st or the north side. The fact that it was called a "facade" was just an error that persisted for 85 years.

Second off, the reason the beam fell was that it was previously a load-bearing beam before the renovation, and the cantilever installed during the renovation took the load off of it, allowing it to move. After 22 years of being "loose" it fell. There's an actual scientific reason for it, not some whacked out conspiracy.

Plus, do you really think that the Yanks A.) needed a beam to fall to get a new Stadium with the political clout they have and with a pro-new ballparks mayor like Giuliani office?, and B.) that the Yanks wanted to sacrifice a multitude of home games (4 wound up being the actual count) for that to happen? No way was that a conspiracy.

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
          • Jun 2008

Funny - I read everywhere that the falling rocker incident was within hours of a home game, as does everyone else I know who reads or watches news. So I think it was LUCK that damn thing didn't fall on some fans.
          RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• GrafZeppelin127
            • Oct 2008

There was supposed to be a game that night.

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by GrafZeppelin127 View Post
              There was supposed to be a game that night.
              Exactly! A few hours later and this would have been a tragedy. So Monument is correct - it became an off day due to the falling piece at the Stadium.

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Anubis2051
                Bleeds Pinstripes
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by NYFan1stYankFan2nd View Post
                Exactly! A few hours later and this would have been a tragedy. So Monument is correct - it became an off day due to the falling piece at the Stadium.
                It wasn't an off day. The game was played...just at Shea. Thats the reason the tickets all say that the team has the right to change "Time, date, location, and opponent"

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                  It wasn't an off day. The game was played...just at Shea. Thats the reason the tickets all say that the team has the right to change "Time, date, location, and opponent"
                  Just being facetious. I knew it wasn't an off day.

Comment

• Mike Wagner
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by paynoaks View Post
                    When we were young and in New York, we often talked about the rare occurrence when a homer might hit the facade. I didn't hear the frieze word until Mike Wagner used it.

Dick Muller
                    Dear Dick,

I also used to say "facade." In researching my book about the renovation of Yankee Stadium, I was coming upon the word "frieze" more and more. Also, during a November 2007 tour of Yankee Stadium, Tony Morante corrected me and said it was the "frieze, not facade."

-Mike

Comment

• voodoochile
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post

Second off, the reason the beam fell was that it was previously a load-bearing beam before the renovation, and the cantilever installed during the renovation took the load off of it, allowing it to move. After 22 years of being "loose" it fell. There's an actual scientific reason for it, not some whacked out conspiracy.

Plus, do you really think that the Yanks A.) needed a beam to fall to get a new Stadium with the political clout they have and with a pro-new ballparks mayor like Giuliani office?, and B.) that the Yanks wanted to sacrifice a multitude of home games (4 wound up being the actual count) for that to happen? No way was that a conspiracy.

I believe your story that the beam fell due to being "loose" as you say, and ultimately working its way to a position where it would find a seat to mash.
                      However, regarding A and B, my answer is "yes." I wouldn't trust George Steinbrenner if my ass was on the line. I respect him as the principal owner of the Yankees, but that's as far as it goes.
                      He is a very, very successful businessman, and in order to accomplish that you must be shrewd, cunning, resourceful and patient. Those qualities add up to a backstabbing, lying opportunist, and past experiences will show that. Ask Dave Winfield or the Grand Jury.

Comment

• Aviator_Frank
                        Engineer / Private Pilot
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                        Dear Dick,

I also used to say "facade." In researching my book about the renovation of Yankee Stadium, I was coming upon the word "frieze" more and more. Also, during a November 2007 tour of Yankee Stadium, Tony Morante corrected me and said it was the "frieze, not facade."

-Mike
                        Hell, even the plaque designer(s) got it wrong

Comment

• aqib
                          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                          It was made up at a later date so that day was an off day. I remember they interviewed the people who had the seats for that game.

Comment

• SparkyL
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Yankees12 View Post
                            . . .

Second off, the reason the beam fell was that it was previously a load-bearing beam before the renovation, and the cantilever installed during the renovation took the load off of it, allowing it to move. After 22 years of being "loose" it fell. There's an actual scientific reason for it, not some whacked out conspiracy. . . .
                            I also remember that there used to be a similar joint on the RF side that was replaced as part of the renovation. I also recall that these both were put in place between the original superstructure and the two extentions as expansion joints.

Comment

• NYFan1stYankFan2nd
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                              I also remember that there used to be a similar joint on the RF side that was replaced as part of the renovation. I also recall that these both were put in place between the original superstructure and the two extentions as expansion joints.
                              I wonder if they removed that one or at least installed a back-up system by where if it fell a series of cross beams under neath would catch it.

When a hundred feet of this bridge in CT near where I live fell back in the 80s there was a recall of EVERY FREAKIN BRIDGE IN THE UNITED-STATES JUST LIKE IT. The section that fell was hung between two sections supported by columns. It was called pin & hanger, and the washers holding the pin on rusted and fell off. The pin at one corner slipped out and the whole section tilted enough for some drivers to feel a "speed bump" at that juncture. An hour later a second pin failed and that was all she wrote. Two semis and two cars followed the bridge into the river and neighbors near I-95 were phoning the police after midnight about an earthquake in progress it was so loud! They were fixing cracks in their house's walls...

The Recall: All other bridges like it either had a safety catch installed on the column side to catch the hung portion if it fell - no more than two inches. Or, the pins & hangers were replaced altogether by gusset plates and improved drainage at the ends of the span so it wouldn't rust in the first place.

Just some engineering babble I love talking about this crap... Still, a failure of this kind at a sporting venue could be far more disastrous.
                              Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 09-30-2009, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• GrafZeppelin127
                                • Oct 2008

If I could just jump in for a sec, re: "façade" vs. "frieze" ...

In the old stadium, the decorative copper work surrounding the inner edge of the roof could rightly be called either a façade or a frieze. It was a façade in that it was the façade of the roof; the facing side of the horizontal structure; the front of the roof, from the ballplayers' perspective. If a batted ball hit it, it would not have been wrong to state that the ball hit the roof's façade.

It could also have been called a frieze, in that it was a decorative band at the top of the building. When discussing its design or aesthetic qualities, it would be appropriate to refer to it as a frieze.

Hence the proper term depends on the context, at least when we're talking about OYS.

The concrete replica atop the outfield wall at RYS, however, can really only be called a frieze. It's a decorative band on top of a wall, but doesn't serve as the vertical facing side of anything substantive behind it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X