Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions...

I don't have any knowledge of the work that was done in the 50's... However...those of you that went to YS in the last 30 odd years might recall looking up and seeing new sheet metal covering all the bottom of the upper deck and the mezz. Why do you suppose they did that? My belief is that most folks would ask what the H is holding that up?? They didn't feel it was necessary from the 20's, did they. So now why? Aesthetics? Hmmm. I am telling you we only added a few not so important pieces to those trusses. And I also don't know if the piece that fell was new or old.

Was there a need to arouse attention to get a new stadium built? I cannot say. But now that Shea and old YS are replaced, watch MSG have new plans drawn. That was my first job as an ironworker around April 3,1966. Do most of you realize that 1.) the main floor for Basketball, hockey, etc. is the fourth floor and spans close to 200' over the 8th Avenue theatre? ; 2.) That the roof is again supported by 48 thick cables coming together at what we called a spider in the center.

I don't have any photos of YS from the seventies. I had one of me sitting on top of the verticle truss and I went looking for if but to no avail. Ironically, after Ironworking, I made my living as a photographer.

Dick Muller

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
      The escalator pods are coming down.

Gate 6 definitely, Gate 4 probably. I say "probably" because I didn't go there until after the game, and because it was night I couldn't see clearly to be 100% sure, but having seen what it looked like at Gate 6 it looked like the one at Gate 4 was also coming down, so if that's so I guess they're taking them both down concurrently.

Here's one photo for now, I've got more and will be uploading them when I have a chance.

I'd read in Newsday today that dismantling of the lighting array atop the roof is taking place. Gary, any of your great pictures capture that? By the way, what the heck is the significance of your tag-line? If I'm not mistaken, it translates to somthing like "Where is the sun? In the head. Get to work". Kind of a non-sequitor, huh?
      First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
        I'd read in Newsday today that dismantling of the lighting array atop the roof is taking place. Gary, any of your great pictures capture that? By the way, what the heck is the significance of your tag-line? If I'm not mistaken, it translates to somthing like "Where is the sun? In the head. Get to work". Kind of a non-sequitor, huh?
        It's either a Paul McCartney or a Paul McCartney + Wings song, can't remember whihc.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
          It's either a Paul McCartney or a Paul McCartney + Wings song, can't remember whihc.
          Well that explains it. IMHO, McCartney has proved since the Beatles broke up, that it was Lennon all along who was the genius behind the songs. Nothing but tripe from McCartney since then. But Gary, why choose that as your tag line?
          First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• Originally posted by CHiller View Post
            By the way, what the heck is the significance of your tag-line? If I'm not mistaken, it translates to somthing like "Where is the sun? In the head. Get to work". Kind of a non-sequitor, huh?
            Im'a let you finish but Paul McCartney had one of the worst videos of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR9Q3MHHiPA

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post

I got major douche chills after watching that vid...eeeech...
              sigpic

Comment

• Photos from Wednesday, September 30, 2009

As promised, some pictures from Wednesday...

This first shot isn't anything we haven't seen before, but I like how the concourse is lit up so you can peek inside...

A few seldom seen night views... will the last person to leave the stadium please turn off the lights...

Finally... the ones you've been waiting for... photos of the removal of the Gate 6 escalator tower. As much as many of you guys hated the towers, something tells me you didn't want them to come down under these circumstances...

You've just seen about a third of the September 30th photos I've put up on Flickr. If you want to see 'em all go here.
                X
                What's THAT guy doing?
                - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• great pics Gary.

:applaud:
                  www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• The shroud around the escalator towers reminds me of those gas holders in New Jersey
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                      The shroud around the escalator towers reminds me of those gas holders in New Jersey
                      NORTH Jersey, please.

(yeah, I'm from South Jersey.)

But anyway . . .

Comment

• Aren't those the tanks that used to be in Queens on the side of the LIE?
                        Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by The House That Ruth Built View Post

Please.

Never again.

Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• I hope one day Gary Dunaier will have a photo exhibition of his great photos in the Baseball Hall of Fame and Metropolitan Museum of Art. His superb talent deserves to be seen by many more people than those of us on the internet.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Outstanding pictures as always, Gary.

From the scaffolding around the Gate 2 escalator tower, do you think it will be coming down as well?

It should be interesting to see the Stadium without those for the first time in over thirty years.

Richard

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
                                Outstanding pictures as always, Gary.

From the scaffolding around the Gate 2 escalator tower, do you think it will be coming down as well?

It should be interesting to see the Stadium without those for the first time in over thirty years.

Richard
                                The impact of seeing RYS podless would be maximized if not for the funeral draping.

Let the pod races continue!! Gate 4 is really catching up on Gate 6, but they both better keep an eye on Sebulba....
                                Last edited by NYFan1stYankFan2nd; 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM.
                                RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X