No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of shots I found on Flickr... according to the photographer, they were taken last Sunday (October 4)...

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user ephworks on 10/7/09; described as having been taken October 4, 2009. Link to original Flickr.com upload: here.)

(Uploaded to Flickr.com by user ephworks on 10/7/09; described as having been taken October 4, 2009. Link to original Flickr.com upload: here.)
    X
    What's THAT guy doing?
    - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• I spoke to a guy from Turner before the game yesterday and he said we will see substantial demo by the end of October. A month or two ago I stated that I might be able to gain access INSIDE the Old Stadium, and it almost happened yesterday. Unfortunately there were some inspectors on site, something to do with the high winds and the netting around the outside, and it couldn't happen. But I'm optimistic that it will still become reality.
      Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
        I spoke to a guy from Turner before the game yesterday and he said we will see substantial demo by the end of October. A month or two ago I stated that I might be able to gain access INSIDE the Old Stadium, and it almost happened yesterday. Unfortunately there were some inspectors on site, something to do with the high winds and the netting around the outside, and it couldn't happen. But I'm optimistic that it will still become reality.
        I was hoping that back outfield wall would go down first so us prospectors can get good shots of whats going on inside there. instead we have to rely on news helicopter photography who treat their images like gold.

If there were better vantage points to see the inside the inner bowl id go there personally take the pictures. From where i am on long island it would take me almost 2 hours by train...with no traffic, an hour by car. but theres always traffic...so its not really worth it for me to take pictures of netting.

the roof of the courthouse would be a good place...anyone have any connections there? lol...
        www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Joe, I bought a couple of very nice photos from a guy on the street near Billy's sports bar. I've bought some from hin in the past, including a couple taken from the Courthouse roof. I asked him about it last night and he told me that he used to have a connection there, but the guy retired years ago. The last one that he took was in Sept of '01. I was hoping to make him MY connection, but he doesn't even have HIS connection any more.
          Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• That pic above is almost a shot-for-shot of the one in Serpico
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
              That pic above is almost a shot-for-shot of the one in Serpico
              Nice! That's like something out of Streetscapes in the Times.

Comment

• Interesting juxitposition from the YSIII Hospitaility area lobby window

From the Metro North Station last evening.

NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

Amazing. Great eye, Frank. It's uncanny and I wonder if that was the photographer's intent.

Comment

Excellent! That was a great scene in a tremendous movie in 1973 for which Al Pacino received an Academy Award Nomination for Best Actor (Jack Lemmon won that year), however, Al did win the Golden Globe's Best Actor Award for the same role.

For you youngsters, Serpico is a very accurate depiction of life in New York City during the 60's and early 70's - I consider it to be a classic film with an awesome view of Old Yankee Stadium. Its a great celluloid experience, filmed partly in The Bronx that all will enjoy.

I'm going to my library tomorrow to check out a copy of Serpico and will watch it this weekend!

Last edited by LINYUSA; 10-08-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Al Pacino owns the 'S' section of my DVD collection: Serpico, Scarface and Sea of Love.

Comment

I knew there was something odd about that picture....thanks for the reminder. Pretty amazing.
                        www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Yankee Stadium is still beautiful.
                          No one can make you
                          Do what they want to
                          You know you're stronger
                          Than the lies
                          That they tell you

Comment

I am dating myself, but the first time I went to OYS was in April 1970 and I recall a lot of drunks/druggies in the area around the stadium. To me, the area was a lot like the Bowery in Manhattan.

I used to go each year to OYS via the Con Edison freebies and loved going to the games, but we were a little concerned about the immediate area outside the stadium.

Maybe perception was different from reality .:noidea

Comment

• Nothing great, just some more of the Elevator towers coming down, this time at Gate 4. Taken before Game 1 of the ALDS on Wednesday.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                                I am dating myself, but the first time I went to OYS was in April 1970 and I recall a lot of drunks/druggies in the area around the stadium. To me, the area was a lot like the Bowery in Manhattan.

I used to go each year to OYS via the Con Edison freebies and loved going to the games, but we were a little concerned about the immediate area outside the stadium.

Maybe perception was different from reality .:noidea
                                What you describe was accurate. The area around Yankee Stadium was deteriorating quickly. Throw in the stadium showing its age and the Yankees had their reasons to seriously consider moving out of the Bronx.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X