No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary, that shot of the upper deck portal might be one of my favorites ever.
    No one can make you
    Do what they want to
    You know you're stronger
    Than the lies
    That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
      I bet the shelf life of new yankee stadium is about half of the old yankee stadium. When youre walking around on the concourses inside the new yankee stadium take a look down at the concrete...it already has stress fractures.
      No way in hell that stadium is going to last as long as the real one. After the Yanks don't win the WS for the next 50 years, it will be put back in it's original location. Thank God it's going to be a park and not apartment buildings.
      Last edited by Maxlugar; 10-12-2009, 07:29 AM.
      Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
        I bet you my shiniest dime that the Old/Renovated/Real Yankee Stadium is put together better than the New Yankee Stadium.

Better, stronger materials and old world craftsmanship FTW.
        I bet you're on the mark with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy View Post
          I bet you my shiniest dime that the Old/Renovated/Real Yankee Stadium is put together better than the New Yankee Stadium.

Better, stronger materials and old world craftsmanship FTW.
          Steel is steel.
          Uncertainty at the time OYS was constructed resulted in an overbuilt structure. (see the Brooklyn Bridge, built with a Safety Factor of 5). Modern engineering results in a lighter structure.

OYS is a brick house (not literally, of course) because engineers / designers at the time didn't want to take chances, so they erred on the side of caution.

I agree that NYS will not hold up as well as OYS, but that is a consequence of modern design and cost considerations.
          20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• That's how it is for everything nowadays. Stuff just isn't put together as well as it used to be. It's all built to break. The more products that break, the more people have to spend on buying something new - so it's probably no different with stadiums.
            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
              Steel is steel.
              . . . . and motor oil is motor oil

Ask the passengers on Titanic if 'steel is steel'. There are many ways to anneal (heat treat) metals and the myriad of alloys we could fill this board on that subject alone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                No way in hell that stadium is going to last as long as the real one. After the Yanks don't win the WS for the next 50 years, it will be put back in it's original location. Thank God it's going to be a park and not apartment buildings.
                Thats what i said...OYS has had a life of 85+ years, NYS might be good for 40ish.
                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
                  . . . . and motor oil is motor oil

Ask the passengers on Titanic if 'steel is steel'. There are many ways to anneal (heat treat) metals and the myriad of alloys we could fill this board on that subject alone.
                  And if White Star erred on the side of caution, there would have been seats in the lifeboats for everyone on board.....

It comes down to money and code nowadays... Someone wants a structure built. It's the job of the architect / builder to come up with the biggest design at the lowest cost, and that means just meeting code. Results in a less robust structure that would have a life lower then one built many years ago, when the engineering was less certain how far someone could stretch materials. Think Towering Inferno.
                  20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                    That's how it is for everything nowadays. Stuff just isn't put together as well as it used to be. It's all built to break. The more products that break, the more people have to spend on buying something new - so it's probably no different with stadiums.
                    Made in China.
                    No one can make you
                    Do what they want to
                    You know you're stronger
                    Than the lies
                    That they tell you

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                      I bet the shelf life of new yankee stadium is about half of the old yankee stadium. When youre walking around on the concourses inside the new yankee stadium take a look down at the concrete...it already has stress fractures.

The RF ramps are already in real bad shape. Not only is the concrete cracking everywhere, but there are pieces of the surface breaking off. I would not be surprised if they re-do those ramps in the off-season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                        The RF ramps are already in real bad shape. Not only is the concrete cracking everywhere, but there are pieces of the surface breaking off. I would not be surprised if they re-do those ramps in the off-season.
                        If I was a Steinbrenner, I would be pissed off. I wonder if the players are also noticing the many deficiencies of the NYS, as well.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                          If I was a Steinbrenner, I would be pissed off. I wonder if the players are also noticing the many deficiencies of the NYS, as well.
                          I doubt they're noticing the deficiency of a clubhouse twice as large as the old one, a weight center worthy of a professional sports team, their own indoor batting cage that they didn't have in the old stadium. I mean the players have so much in the new stadium they didn't have in the old one. This isn't a one is better than the other because imo for their repective times OYS and NYS are and did serve what they were supposed to.
                          The 27 Time World Series Champions New York Yankees!

Comment

• I'm sure that the players don't notice or really care about the Moat, cheesy frieze, obstructed bleacher views or cracked concrete.
                            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by dstoffa View Post
                              Steel is steel.
                              Uncertainty at the time OYS was constructed resulted in an overbuilt structure. (see the Brooklyn Bridge, built with a Safety Factor of 5). Modern engineering results in a lighter structure.

OYS is a brick house (not literally, of course) because engineers / designers at the time didn't want to take chances, so they erred on the side of caution.

I agree that NYS will not hold up as well as OYS, but that is a consequence of modern design and cost considerations.
                              Speaking of overbuilt:

Of course, the Firth of Forth bridge was replacing a structure that had failed with a great loss of life. This was built to reassure Scottish citizens that it was safe.

EDIT: actually, it was the bridge over the nearby Firth of Tay that had lately collapsed, killing 79.
                              Last edited by tugger; 10-13-2009, 12:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
                                I doubt they're noticing the deficiency of a clubhouse twice as large as the old one, a weight center worthy of a professional sports team, their own indoor batting cage that they didn't have in the old stadium. I mean the players have so much in the new stadium they didn't have in the old one. This isn't a one is better than the other because imo for their repective times OYS and NYS are and did serve what they were supposed to.
                                IIRC they did install an indoor batting cage at OYS. After the rennovation no?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X