Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by giantsean View Post
    IIRC they did install an indoor batting cage at OYS. After the rennovation no?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. But I hope that is making it not seem justified for the Yankees to move. Fact is, the best baseball team was playing in the worst ballpark. From a realist's standpoint (a world without "ghosts" and "mystique") Yankee Stadium was a dump. The players deserved a much better ballpark experience for the money they were getting. Do you think half of them really care about Ruth, Mantle and DiMaggio? I think not. They want lockers with T.V.'s and a world class training facility. Not a "Babe Ruth sat here."

Comment

Last edited by Rob R; 10-13-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
        Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. But I hope that is making it not seem justified for the Yankees to move. Fact is, the best baseball team was playing in the worst ballpark. From a realist's standpoint (a world without "ghosts" and "mystique") Yankee Stadium was a dump. The players deserved a much better ballpark experience for the money they were getting. Do you think half of them really care about Ruth, Mantle and DiMaggio? I think not. They want lockers with T.V.'s and a world class training facility. Not a "Babe Ruth sat here."

Batting cages were under the right field grandstand, right next to the famous Gehrig room.

Richard

Comment

• Last year I was discussing YS with an elderly couple who grew up in the Bronx. They told me there used to be tennis courts below YS. I never heard this before.

Were they removed in the renovation during the 1970's? Or are they abandoned below the stadium. I remember when I toured Grand Central Terminal I was surprised to find old bowling alleys in there along with old TV studios.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichardLillard1 View Post
            Batting cages were under the right field grandstand, right next to the famous Gehrig room.

Richard
            I'm not really up on my Yankees history, but what is "the Gehrig room"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mary Ellen View Post
              Last year I was discussing YS with an elderly couple who grew up in the Bronx. They told me there used to be tennis courts below YS. I never heard this before.

Were they removed in the renovation during the 1970's? Or are they abandoned below the stadium. I remember when I toured Grand Central Terminal I was surprised to find old bowling alleys in there along with old TV studios.
              I believe the couple might have been referring to a set of tennis courts located in the present day area of the former player's parking lot west of Gate 4 during the late 1920's and early 30's.

Among tbe pictures posted a couple of years ago by TJH1923 from the NYPL photo archives showed the courts.

Because of the rake (angle) of the main grandstand, the limited space, and the numerous pillars and column footings, it would have been extremely difficult to create tennis courts within the footprint of the Stadium.

i'll try to locate that picture. It might even be in an earlier posting on this thread.

Dennis
              BrooklynDodger14
              Last edited by brooklyndodger14; 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
                Sputtering - the PLAYERS deserve a better experience? Or to put it another way (also sputtering) the players DESERVE much better ballpark experience??!!

This reasoning is insane to me.

What happened in the Bronx is a preservation crime, no more, no less. And it has nothing to do with the quality of the new ballpark.
                Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Yankee Stadium was a dump?!? Granted, space was limited and facilities were outdated as far as press and players were concerned, but a dump? Nope, not realistic.
                  Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa Bay Giants View Post
                    A place that the NYS does not have, or ever will. Maybe in 60 years they will uncover some sort of "Arod Room" - a back closet where he brings his women.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/hidde...idbEf32mPtReoO
                    www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by brooklyndodger14 View Post
                      I believe the couple might have been referring to a set of tennis courts located in the present day area of the former player's parking lot west of Gate 4 during the late 1920's and early 30's.
                      I agree. If you look at the opening credits in one of the "Odd Couple" seasons, some of the scenes were filmed around Yankee Stadium, and there's a scene where Felix jumps over a tennis net and Oscar, unable to jump, instead just climbs over it. There's also a scene that has the intersection of the Macombs Dam Bridge Approach and 161st Street in the background, a vehicle can be seen making a right turn onto 161st.

Maybe someone can post some screenshots.
                      X
                      What's THAT guy doing?
                      - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by The Monument View Post
                        Yankee Stadium was a dump?!? Granted, space was limited and facilities were outdated as far as press and players were concerned, but a dump? Nope, not realistic.
                        Yes, it was a dump. In every sense of the word. Take all the moments away and look at it from a building standpoint. There were no amenities, cramped concourses, small legroom, and a poor ballpark experience for a bystander, someone who cared little about the Yankees/baseball. The new park was a necessity not up for debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                          I agree. If you look at the opening credits in one of the "Odd Couple" seasons, some of the scenes were filmed around Yankee Stadium, and there's a scene where Felix jumps over a tennis net and Oscar, unable to jump, instead just climbs over it. There's also a scene that has the intersection of the Macombs Dam Bridge Approach and 161st Street in the background, a vehicle can be seen making a right turn onto 161st.

Maybe someone can post some screenshots.
                          or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS6jakN89zo
                          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• I think I was about 10 years old when I went on a town sponsored trip to Yankee Stadium. The classic little kid bus trip, we marched in group off the bus and lined up against the outer wall of the left field side of the Stadium waiting to go in. It happened to be the day they were filming this Odd Couple scene. We all got to go across the street and watch for awhile, then we had to get back in line. I remember going home and asking my mother , WE got to see the odd couple today, who are they ? LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Celerino Sanchez View Post
                              WE got to see the odd couple today, who are they ? LOL
                              "Why, George and Billy, dear."

Comment

• Originally posted by Tampa Bay Giants View Post
                                According to Eleanor Gerhig, Lou's widow in her book My Luke and I, after Lou gave his famous speech he found a room and broke down and cried. The room is now called the Gehrig room.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X