Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
    A place that the NYS does not have, or ever will. Maybe in 60 years they will uncover some sort of "Arod Room" - a back closet where he brings his women.
    A-Rod room! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!
    Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
      Yes, it was a dump. In every sense of the word. Take all the moments away and look at it from a building standpoint. There were no amenities, cramped concourses, small legroom, and a poor ballpark experience for a bystander, someone who cared little about the Yankees/baseball. The new park was a necessity not up for debate.
      I hate to say, but I'm not willing to pay the ungodly premium prices for outrageous amenities at the new stadiums. I just want to watch baseball. I'm just going to be there a few hours. It's not like I'm going to be flying across the Atlantic or as if I'm going to live there.

Give me a seat, access to a toilet and a hot dog stand (preferably not all in the same location). That it!

Now that I think about it: if new Yankee Stadium really wanted to cater to amenities for the consumer, they WOULD put access to a toilet and a hot dog stand in every seat. Clearly the new stadium is already outdated and needs to be replaced.
      Last edited by doctor_gogol; 10-14-2009, 07:30 AM. Reason: More info
      Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
        Give me a seat, access to a toilet and a hot dog stand (preferably not all in the same location). That it!
        LOL I totally agree!

Comment

Yes, it was a dump. In every sense of the word. Take all the moments away and look at it from a building standpoint. There were no amenities, cramped concourses, small legroom, and a poor ballpark experience for a bystander, someone who cared little about the Yankees/baseball. The new park was a necessity not up for debate.
          "Amenities" is just Trost-talk!
          Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by doctor_gogol View Post
            I hate to say, but I'm not willing to pay the ungodly premium prices for outrageous amenities at the new stadiums. I just want to watch baseball. I'm just going to be there a few hours. It's not like I'm going to be flying across the Atlantic or as if I'm going to live there.

Now that I think about it: if new Yankee Stadium really wanted to cater to amenities for the consumer, they WOULD put access to a toilet and a hot dog stand in every seat. Clearly the new stadium is already outdated and needs to be replaced.
            Could not agree more, doctor gogol. When defending the stadiums of yester-year to idiots (usually my friends, because they're the only ones willing to listen) who say these new stadiums are better in every way, I often use this reasoning.
            sigpic

Comment

• I don't know guys.... When I think of baseball, I think of fresh cut prime meats and the Hard Rock Cafe. I need lots and lots of room to walk around too, as I like to get up and excercize from innings 3 through 6, so super huge concourses are a must. The only other thing I need to watch baseball is a home improvment store, like Home Depot. So maybe they better start building one of those in the great hall or this new place is going to be obsolete pretty soon.
              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

There were no amenities, cramped concourses, small legroom, and a poor ballpark experience for a bystander, someone who cared little about the Yankees/baseball.
                Someone who cares little about the Yankees/baseball probably doesn't belong at a Yankee game. Sure, amenities are nice and RYS was lacking. But saying it was a dump just because of amenities is a little over the top. It's like saying a new Chevy Aveo is better than a '67 Camaro because it has 18 cupholders and a cd player... FAIL. Real Yankee fans (or any real baseball fans) could give a rat's ass whether yuppies have a playstation 3 pavilion or a bouncy castle to dump their kids off at while they order martinis and talk on their Bluetooths the whole game (or the 6 innings they stay, anyways). There are plenty of good reasons why the Yankees needed a new ballpark, but the "amenity" buzzword stuff gets really old.
                Last edited by MarcianoNY; 10-14-2009, 02:52 PM. Reason: meant RYS, not OYS.

Comment

• Yankee's stadium on 1 E. 161 St. in Bronx has lots of Amenities to serve the American public people who like to look at the Derek Jeter in the comfort of their own home.
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
                    Someone who cares little about the Yankees/baseball probably doesn't belong at a Yankee game. Sure, amenities are nice and the OYS was lacking. But saying it was a dump just because of amenities is a little over the top. It's like saying a new Chevy Aveo is better than a '67 Camaro because it has 18 cupholders and a cd player... FAIL. Real Yankee fans (or any real baseball fans) could give a rat's ass whether yuppies have a playstation 3 pavilion or a bouncy castle to dump their kids off at while they order martinis and talk on their Bluetooths the whole game (or the 6 innings they stay, anyways). There are plenty of good reasons why the Yankees needed a new ballpark, but the "amenity" buzzword stuff gets really old.
                    Wow....If I posted something like this over in the Citi Field forum, they would be trying to get me in the dunk tank ! I will say this about NYS, at least you don't have a whiffle ball field and a Hershey Park dunk tank to entertain the fan base while they spend two innings on line for a shake shack burger.

As a Mets fan, I prefer NYS over CF mainly because there are no bouncy castles for kids with ADD blocking my view. Of course, that makes me a Quisling to Mets fans who wave the pom poms while the Wilpons build spite staircases in front of their UD seats.

BTW, as one who went to OYS 1970-73, I liked it better than RYS. Just my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                      Wow....If I posted something like this over in the Citi Field forum, they would be trying to get me in the dunk tank ! I will say this about NYS, at least you don't have a whiffle ball field and a Hershey Park dunk tank to entertain the fan base while they spend two innings on line for a shake shack burger.

As a Mets fan, I prefer NYS over CF mainly because there are no bouncy castles for kids with ADD blocking my view. Of course, that makes me a Quisling to Mets fans who wave the pom poms while the Wilpons build spite staircases in front of their UD seats.

BTW, as one who went to OYS 1970-73, I liked it better than RYS. Just my opinion.
                      I actually meant RYS... my bad. And don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the new stadium bashers at all; aside from a couple complaints, I think they did a great job with it, and a replacement for RYS was going to happen sometime... So I'm glad they kept it in the Bronx and got so many things right. However, the idea that a ballpark is obsolete because it isn't a mall/amusement park pisses me off, and so do the "fans" that that kind of thing attracts. There are certain things that are unquantifiable in terms of cupholders, toilets, food courts, and we don't have to pretend like RYS was a worthless pile of s*&t just because it didn't have some of these things.

Comment

• ^I can see where you are coming from. And you are more respectful then some people here so I appreciate that. BUT, let me remind you, Yankees are in for money first of all. They want profit. They need more luxury suites and need more things in the stadium to make money then what RYS had. Well I cant say they needed as they were already making profits with YES network. But in buisiness, its only natural to pursue for more money, I dont think you can personally blame Steinbrenners for that. We all want more money dont we?

Comment

This could also describe OYS in 1923, on opening day. So I guess Yankee Stadium just sucked from the get-go.

Comment

Not up for debate? Oh ok, I guess that you are the final word.That's why they drew 4 million fans a year. Why would a bystander, someone with no interest in Yankees or baseball, go there?
                            Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                              This could also describe OYS in 1923, on opening day. So I guess Yankee Stadium just sucked from the get-go.
                              I wouldn't say so, time really advances technology, which is why we see many new places open. Look I know we are fans, and we don't care about tight concourses and bathrooms that are the size of closets. But the Yankees care about :flow:, and they can get it alot easier with the new place. Find any other building like RYS, with dark concourses and limited amounts bathrooms, and no historical significance, say an Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, 99% of them would prefer a new place, and would classify the old place as a dump. RYS was a dump. A flat out dump. I'm not starting trouble. The best organization needed the best place to play. You can dress it up all you want with fairy tales, but at the end of the day, it was a ballpark. A ballpark that had it's time.

Comment

Find any other building like RYS, with dark concourses and limited amounts bathrooms, and no historical significance, say an Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, 99% of them would prefer a new place, and would classify the old place as a dump.
                                No historical significance? Sorry, EVEN IF you only count YS's historical significance from 1976-onwards, there has been a HELL of a lot more history there than Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, more than enough to make it a historical landmark if certain parties were so inclined. I understand your point, but that analogy just sinks it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X