Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
    No historical significance? Sorry, EVEN IF you only count YS's historical significance from 1976-onwards, there has been a HELL of a lot more history there than Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, more than enough to make it a historical landmark if certain parties were so inclined. I understand your point, but that analogy just sinks it.
    I was comparing it to any other stadium, not Yankee Stadium per se. It was meant to make you picture Yankee Stadium as a stadium for say, the A's. If it wasn't for the Yankees, it would have been replaced years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by mets16 View Post
      Yes, it was a dump. In every sense of the word. Take all the moments away and look at it from a building standpoint. There were no amenities, cramped concourses, small legroom, and a poor ballpark experience for a bystander, someone who cared little about the Yankees/baseball. The new park was a necessity not up for debate.
      This description fits Fenway to a T, but if I'm not mistaken, you have nothing but praise for Fenway (I might be wrong). Only with Fenway, you'd add, dirty, rat-infested, concessions sited for violations, column obstructions, seats in the infield angled toward the outfield, and a playing field that Pedroia calls, "The worst in baseball." I'm sure the players (as you say) aren't dressing up in the dark, dank, dirty clubhouses of Fenway, with floors covered with rat feces and pellets thinking, "Ted Williams sat here when his head was intact."

Now that's a dump, no matter how you slice it. The overused "Oh, but its so old and charming!!!!!1111" doesn't quite cut it on closer inspection.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        This description fits Fenway to a T, but if I'm not mistaken, you have nothing but praise for Fenway (I might be wrong). Only with Fenway, you'd add, dirty, rat-infested, concessions sited for violations, column obstructions, seats in the infield angled toward the outfield, and a playing field that Pedroia calls, "The worst in baseball." I'm sure the players (as you say) aren't dressing up in the dark, dank, dirty clubhouses of Fenway, with floors covered with rat feces and pellets thinking, "Ted Williams sat here when his head was intact."

Now that's a dumb, no matter how you slice it.
        I have praise for Fenway when it is compared to Wrigley or RYS. But it doesn't compare with any new park I have visited. I think the Sox need a new place desperately as well. These are world class organizations playing in time machines.

Comment

I have praise for Fenway when it is compared to Wrigley or RYS. But it doesn't compare with any new park I have visited. I think the Sox need a new place desperately as well. These are world class organizations playing in time machines.

Got ya, though I'd say Fenway paled in comparison to RYS, from a pure spectator/obstruction/comfort/amenities/cleanliness point of view. Probably the very worst stadium I've been to in this regard, and that has nothing to do with the rivalry.
          Last edited by Rob R; 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Got ya, though I'd say Fenway paled in comparison to RYS, from a pure spectator/obstruction/comfort/amenities/cleanliness point of view. Probably the very worst stadium I've been to in this regard, and that has nothing to do with the rivalry.
            Sounds about right. Both stadiums, once you got past the "pods" in RYS, give you a pretty good sense of nostalgia for what it was like to go to a game in the 50s, as far as cramped concourses, crappy concessions, and inadequate restrooms are concerned. Look, I'm not gonna knock Fenway too much, I've been there a number of times and it's a great place to enjoy a game, if not necessarily to watch...err, see it. But, while both places suck as far as modern conveniences go, there's something to be said for going to a game in a place that was built just to see baseball games in, not to be some all-purpose, multi-media "experience" for tourists. I like the new Yankee Stadium a lot, but it's sad the way the old one has to go. I'm not gonna wish a new stadium upon Red Sox fans, as much as I might like to see them cry. As long as there are die-hard BoSux fans who care about it, I hope they can find a way to keep Fenway viable. Same with Wrigley, which is by far the dumpiest, least historic, and most structurally decrepit of them all.

Comment

• You guys certainly have been to more games at Yankee Stadium than I have, but I found my visit there to be pretty neat.

The concourses were well-lit, I didn't have any trouble moving around. There were ample concession stands. As far as amenities go, there was the Stadium Club, Pinstripe Pub, Acela Club Level, Luxury Suites, and the Legends Seats.

There was a videoboard that worked just fine. The wrap-around lights were among the best in the majors. So, to say there were no amenities is quite a stretch.

And the exterior was the most beautiful in baseball. Well, the parts without the pods.

But I kinda liked the pods, sometimes. They weren't like all the other pods from that era, they had this intimidating, corporate office building feel to them.
              No one can make you
              Do what they want to
              You know you're stronger
              Than the lies
              That they tell you

Comment

• Lets not forget the New Yankee Stadium enthusiasts who would trade 85 years of history for Garlic Fries!
                Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                  Lets not forget the New Yankee Stadium enthusiasts who would trade 85 years of history for Garlic Fries!
                  Maybe they just care about baseball, the on-field product.

Putting the venue above all else does not make one a bigger fan. Nor does it give one the right to say anyone who doesn't is not a fan.
                  Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                  Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                  Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                  Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                  Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Have you been to Wrigley Field?
                    How can you choose Fenway park over Wrigley or Yankee Stadium?

Wrigley Field has surprisingly wide concourses on the field level for a ballpark built in 1914 and standing room only crowds do not impede the pedestrian flow like Fenway Park. As for the bathrooms at Wrigley....Hold it in and don't drink beer! Fenway is no better.

As for Yankee Stadium you claim it has dark concourses and limited bathrooms when Fenway is by far the most dark cramped sporting facility in the Country. I actually love Fenway Park and enjoy the atmosphere better then Wrigley but Wrigley beats Fenway in terms of comfort.
                    Maybe it's because I live on the East coast and follow the American League.

I would rate Tiger Stadium over Fenway and Wrigley.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                      Maybe they just care about baseball, the on-field product.

Putting the venue above all else does not make one a bigger fan. Nor does it give one the right to say anyone who doesn't is not a fan.
                      How did you arrive at that conclusion from my previous post?

I go to a game to watch baseball no matter what venue the game is playing.....I'm not there to eat garlic fries or have my shoes shined....Personal concierge service.... Private entrance, Private elevator, Private concourses for the elite

Thats not about baseball and more about segregation.

I prefer Old Yankee Stadium, however I'm still an avid Yankee fan and follow the team
                      I'll be sitting behind the foul pole in the freezing cold rainy New York weather come Friday night in the New Yankee Stadium...No Garlic Fries for me!
                      Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

thinking, "Ted Williams sat here when his head was intact."
                        LOL! You made me snarf coffee! Did you see on the news the other day that the people that froze Ted's head were caught using it as a bowling ball? Not making this up. Red Sox Legend Fail.
                        Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by YankeeStadium1923 View Post
                          How did you arrive at that conclusion from my previous post?

I go to a game to watch baseball no matter what venue the game is playing.....I'm not there to eat garlic fries or have my shoes shined....Personal concierge service.... Private entrance, Private elevator, Private concourses for the elite

Thats not about baseball and more about segregation.

I prefer Old Yankee Stadium, however I'm still an avid Yankee fan and follow the team
                          I'll be sitting behind the foul pole in the freezing cold rainy New York weather come Friday night in the New Yankee Stadium...No Garlic Fries for me!

So those who do like the garlic fries aren't going for the game, as well?
                          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                            LOL! You made me snarf coffee! Did you see on the news the other day that the people that froze Ted's head were caught using it as a bowling ball? Not making this up. Red Sox Legend Fail.
                            Nahh don't knock teddy ball-game's status, it's not his fault his head got bowled around. More like "Alcor Fail" or whatever that company's name is.

"**** it, dude. Let's go bowlin'."
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                              So those who do like the garlic fries aren't going for the game, as well?
                              Didn't you get the memo?

Comment

• Originally posted by MarcianoNY View Post
                                No historical significance? Sorry, EVEN IF you only count YS's historical significance from 1976-onwards, there has been a HELL of a lot more history there than Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, more than enough to make it a historical landmark if certain parties were so inclined. I understand your point, but that analogy just sinks it.
                                OK, the Yankees may have an extra World Series or two, but the A's won three in a row at the Mausoleum, as well as the earthquake-interrupted Bay Bridge series. Billy Martin managed at both parks. (And Joe DiMaggio was a coach on the 1968 A's in their first season there.) Reggie Jackson was a star in both. Maybe not as publicized - Oakland ain't New York - but still a very respectable history. (And that's before adding any Raiders stuff, much as the Giants-Colts 1958 game and boxing added to the OYS's history).
                                "Shake it off. That's part of the game, you know. Baseball, hotdogs, apple pie and a shot in the mask." - Bob Uecker.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X