Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    This description fits Fenway to a T, but if I'm not mistaken, you have nothing but praise for Fenway (I might be wrong). Only with Fenway, you'd add, dirty, rat-infested, concessions sited for violations, column obstructions, seats in the infield angled toward the outfield, and a playing field that Pedroia calls, "The worst in baseball." I'm sure the players (as you say) aren't dressing up in the dark, dank, dirty clubhouses of Fenway, with floors covered with rat feces and pellets thinking, "Ted Williams sat here when his head was intact."

Now that's a dump, no matter how you slice it. The overused "Oh, but its so old and charming!!!!!1111" doesn't quite cut it on closer inspection.
    Well sure, but the Red Sox (sadly) have shown far more class as a franchise, far more respect for history, far more vision than the Yankees - not that the new stadium is so horrible, just that tearing down the old one is a crime.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
      Well sure, but the Red Sox (sadly) have shown far more class as a franchise, far more respect for history, far more vision than the Yankees - not that the new stadium is so horrible, just that tearing down the old one is a crime.
      The Sox have shown far more class and vision? Than whom?? David Duke? Actually, the opposite holds true with the Red Sox.

You're opening up a such a huge can of worms that even I won't go there in detail (we could spend days on the topic), other than to say that you might be unaware of their piss-poor history of treating former players, still going on today. If you decide to leave or get traded from the Sox, you're trashed by the organization as a means of justifying their decision not to sign you or for trading you. "Rumors" have been known to have been started in the current Sox front office and then written up in the Globe - their tools - whose parent company the NY Times, has a stake in ownership.

Or maybe you aren't aware of their poor history regarding the Red Sox and players of color. Name a black player (not Latino) of note since Jim Rice played there who wore the uniform. Or one before Rice. We're talking decades. How many black players make up their current roster? Tom Yawkey was not a very nice man and their shame goes back a long way and is still hard to recover from. Only more recently have they been trying to clean up their image in this regard, but actions speak louder than words. Show me the money.

Even their icons like Ted Williams, were treated shabbily by the front office and ownership while he played and after retirement. Did a day in his honor shortly before his dying make up for how despicable the front office and fans treated him? Are you aware of Teddy Ballgame flipping the bird as he rounded the bases after hitting a final homer at Fenway, and refused to acknowledge those cheering? How have they treated more recent stars like Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens (even befor steroids), Nomar, etc.? The same way that Yanks honor their players and past? Hardly. Far, far from it.

So what rich history do they honor? Their, old, rat-infested ballpark, with the worst playing field (according to Dustin Pedroia) that just happens to be a gold mine for them? Think that absolves all their wrongdoings or make them a "classy" team?

And ask anyone in baseball if Larry Lucchino, John Henry or Tom Yawkey and "class" belong in the same sentence.
      Last edited by Rob R; 10-15-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
        LOL! You made me snarf coffee! Did you see on the news the other day that the people that froze Ted's head were caught using it as a bowling ball? Not making this up. Red Sox Legend Fail.
        That construction worker should have buried Ted Williams' head in New Yankee Stadium instead of a Red Sox jersey.

That would be the greatest team curse ever!
        Last edited by doctor_gogol; 10-15-2009, 01:57 PM. Reason: Additional info
        Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46267068@N04/sets/

Comment

LOL! You made me snarf coffee! Did you see on the news the other day that the people that froze Ted's head were caught using it as a bowling ball? Not making this up. Red Sox Legend Fail.
          I also read something crazy about the workers at Alco sticking Teddy's head on a can of tuna fish and it getting stuck. Then they had to whack it off with a wrench or something. No lie. It's both sad and funny at the same time.

Edit: Here ya go:

http://wbztv.com/sports/ted.williams...2.1235535.html

Comment

I also read something crazy about the workers at Alco sticking Teddy's head on a can of tuna fish and it getting stuck. Then they had to whack it off with a wrench or something. No lie. It's both sad and funny at the same time.

Edit: Here ya go:

http://wbztv.com/sports/ted.williams...2.1235535.html
            LOL. Jesus. What in the world does one hope to accomplish when they have their head frozen? Are you one day hoping to be brought back to life and exist as a head in some kind of glass encasement? Wouldn't that be more horrific than death itself? Or are they hoping to have their brain jump started and placed in another body? Which also must be pretty crazy.
            Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

LOL. Jesus. What in the world does one hope to accomplish when they have their head frozen? Are you one day hoping to be brought back to life and exist as a head in some kind of glass encasement? Wouldn't that be more horrific than death itself? Or are they hoping to have their brain jump started and placed in another body? Which also must be pretty crazy.
              Well lets not forget it was most likely never Teds intentions to be frozen. he wanted his ashes spread out over Florida but only because of his wacked out son or sons was he frozen.
              Sad story.

Comment

The Sox have shown far more class and vision? Than whom?? David Duke? Actually, the opposite holds true with the Red Sox.

You're opening up a such a huge can of worms that even I won't go there in detail (we could spend days on the topic), other than to say that you might be unaware of their piss-poor history of treating former players, still going on today. If you decide to leave or get traded from the Sox, you're trashed by the organization as a means of justifying their decision not to sign you or for trading you. "Rumors" have been known to have been started in the current Sox front office and then written up in the Globe - their tools - whose parent company the NY Times, has a stake in ownership.

Or maybe you aren't aware of their poor history regarding the Red Sox and players of color. Name a black player (not Latino) of note since Jim Rice played there who wore the uniform. Or one before Rice. We're talking decades. How many black players make up their current roster? Tom Yawkey was not a very nice man and their shame goes back a long way and is still hard to recover from. Only more recently have they been trying to clean up their image in this regard, but actions speak louder than words. Show me the money.
                Even their icons like Ted Williams, were treated shabbily by the front office and ownership while he played and after retirement. Did a day in his honor shortly before his dying make up for how despicable the front office and fans treated him? Are you aware of Teddy Ballgame flipping the bird as he rounded the bases after hitting a final homer at Fenway, and refused to acknowledge those cheering? How have they treated more recent stars like Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens (even befor steroids), Nomar, etc.? The same way that Yanks honor their players and past? Hardly. Far, far from it.

So what rich history do they honor? Their, old, rat-infested ballpark, with the worst playing field (according to Dustin Pedroia) that just happens to be a gold mine for them? Think that absolves all their wrongdoings or make them a "classy" team?

And ask anyone in baseball if Larry Lucchino, John Henry or Tom Yawkey and "class" belong in the same sentence.
                It took the Yanks 9 seasons to integrate after Jackie Robinson broke the color line in the same city where the Yankees play. How could it take so long? From 1947 to 1955 there were no black players with the Yanks until Elston Howard began play in 1955. The Yankees were the last ML team to have a black pitcher- Al Downing in 1961. With his addition to the roster, it took 15 seasons for the Yanks to have more than one black player on the team. I've read that there were protests in the streets to get the Yanks to even sign one black player even in the minors. Both the Red Sox and Yanks had a long way to go back then and both franchises shame goes back a long way.

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                  It took the Yanks 9 seasons to integrate after Jackie Robinson broke the color line in the same city where the Yankees play. How could it take so long? From 1947 to 1955 there were no black players with the Yanks until Elston Howard began play in 1955. The Yankees were the last ML team to have a black pitcher- Al Downing in 1961. With his addition to the roster, it took 15 seasons for the Yanks to have more than one black player on the team. I've read that there were protests in the streets to get the Yanks to even sign one black player even in the minors. Both the Red Sox and Yanks had a long way to go back then and both franchises shame goes back a long way.
                  Yeah, the Yanks and Sox were dumb and dumber when it came to racial integration. No question about it.

My comment on class and vision was meant to refer to attitudes towards preservation and bonafide tradition - clearly, the Sox management comes out ahead of the NYY management in this area, in my view.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

Why don't you ask Bernie Williams and Joe Torre about Yankee loyalty?

Or dig up the past on how the Yankees treated Babe Ruth?

It's not just the Red Sox who have been disloyal to former players.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Does anyone have any further demolition photos or stories?

Please. Or anything else that is on-topic.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Originally posted by LI METS FAN View Post
                        The Yankees also passed on the opportunity to hire Elston Howard as the first black manager in baseball hisitory.
                        Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
                          Does anyone have any further demolition photos or stories?

Please. Or anything else that is on-topic.
                          Maybe some demo pics will be posted after the game tonight or Sat...

If the weather holds up I'll try and shoot a few pics before tonights game.
                          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

It can be done! Ain't you ever seen "Futurama", Max??!
                            Attached Files
                            ------------------------------------------
                            www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
                            www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
                            www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

• You guys ran off four pages since I was last here on October 6, and I just read all of the posts.

Regarding OYS being a dump, no way. It was old, maybe dingy somewhat, paint was peeling, OK, maybe some critters running around after the game, and I wouldn't eat a sausage sandwich from there, and I'd eat almost anything. But if you wanted to see a dump, you should've gone to Philadelphia and checked out Connie Mack Stadium. At least they made an attempt to keep YS clean. In the very late years when it was a foregone conclusion that Connie Mack Stadium's days were numbered, the place turned into a toilet.

Also, for those interested in the Gate 2 project, I've read a few articles about the Yankees and/or Yankee Stadium where the preservation of Gate 2 was mentioned, and the fact that there are people who are adamant about its survival. These were articles in the newspaper as well as online, so at least the media has picked up on it and it is spreading. I still think that it will take an act of God before any effort is made to retain it.

Comment

• STADIUMBUILDER, isn't this the shot, or close to it, that you were looking for a month or so ago?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X