Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnCropp View Post
    Actually, I've been more interested in the Yankee home games because of the new park. It's like watching a puppy learn to run.

(Are we at a new page, yet?)
    Originally posted by Yankeefan90 View Post
    Yea i can't wait to get back home because the Yanks don't seem to lose there.
    I guess I'm the only one! Oh well, I still want to see the Yanks win. If they win the World's Championship this year, it will be cool to always have the year the stadium opened as a World Series win year.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
      I guess I'm the only one! Oh well, I still want to see the Yanks win. If they win the World's Championship this year, it will be cool to always have the year the stadium opened as a World Series win year.
      It would certainly add to the Yankee mystique. And I mean, I think it'd be good for baseball too. Sometimes what America needs is the reintroduction to the idea of a group of people who can remain so successful even through the good and bad times in last 100 years. And also, America just needs something to reeeally hate
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
        It would certainly add to the Yankee mystique. And I mean, I think it'd be good for baseball too. Sometimes what America needs is the reintroduction to the idea of a group of people who can remain so successful even through the good and bad times in last 100 years. And also, America just needs something to reeeally hate

Yea I think HATE is the right word!

Comment

Does anyone else think this Yankees postseason would be a lot more exciting if their home games were being played in the real Yankee Stadium?

When the Yankees were on the road in previous playoffs, I literally could not wait until they would come back home. It was always, "yeah this stadium is okay, but just wait until they see Yankee Stadium! Just wait until they hear what those games sound like!" This year, I couldn't really care less whether they are at home or on the road. It feels exactly the same to me. It feels like a little something is missing.
          Yes...No doubt. I went to the game last Friday and sat in section 132 behind the foul pole. The energy that was Yankee Stadium just isn't there. When I watched the game on Fox Saturday night I couldn't understand why it sounded so loud on television until I saw a foul ball go down the line to the ball boy and I could see a kid reaching over the fence and you could hear him yelling for the ball. Fox has microphones all over that place.

And this is coming from someone that has been to more than 50 percent of the playoff games at Yankee Stadium since 1995 and watched doves fly around the Garden with John Amarante singing the National Anthem before Ranger playoff games. The intimidation factor that was Yankee Stadium is gone.
          Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• Preserving Stadium’s Gate Hits Hurdles

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/sp...r=1&ref=sports

By RICHARD SANDOMIR
            The old Yankee Stadium is wrapped in a black veil and scaffolding, ready for its demolition.

Despite being draped in such mournful bunting, Gate 2 is still visible, but the fans it once welcomed have been entering the new stadium across 161st Street.

A small network of preservation-minded fans is facing the city’s resistance to their hopes of preserving the gate as part of Heritage Field, which would replace the stadium with three ballfields surrounded by trees.

“We call it the Arc de Triomphe of the Bronx,” Mark Costello of the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee said.

A source of hope for the group is the salvaging of part of Forbes Field’s outfield wall at the University of Pittsburgh. The demolition of Tiger Stadium, the focus of a failed preservation campaign, is an object lesson.

“An anti-inspiration is the Polo Grounds,” said John Trush, another member of the committee, gesturing broadly to where the home of the New York Giants and the Mets once stood across the Harlem River.

“There’s no Ebbets Field, no Penn Station,” said Trush, a Bronx-born engineer and a former hot dog vendor at Yankee Stadium. “We take down stuff all the time.”

In the faltering sunlight Tuesday, Trush and Costello gazed at Gate 2 from Babe Ruth Plaza at the new stadium. They wondered why the city had not embraced their idea.

“One of the most common comments we get when we talk to people about it is: who would be against this?” said Costello, an insurance company safety consultant and a Yankees fan despite his family’s roots in Brooklyn.

But the city is not seriously considering the proposal, which would involve restoring the Yankee Stadium name and two carved eagle medallions to the gate, to make it look as it did in 1928, and building a new side wall.

The 1974-75 renovation of the stadium stripped away those decorative elements, giving the gate a generic look.

But with its little balconies and arches, it still looks more like its former self than the other gates.

“We have a commitment to the community to deliver a new park by the fall of 2011,” said Liam Cavanaugh, the first deputy commissioner of the Parks Department. “Removing the larger structure of the stadium while preserving the gate would be costly and time consuming.”

Andrew Brent, deputy press secretary to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, was even blunter.

“There are no plans to preserve Gate 2,” he wrote in an e-mail message. “Because it’s not structurally independent, it would need to be severed, shored up and fully reconstructed” at a cost of $10 million.

Brent and Trush say that keeping and restoring the gate would cost less, as little as $1 million. But they say that the city’s estimated cost could be financed through the sale of commemorative bricks on the walkway outside the planned Heritage Field and leading to the Metro-North station.

The Mets’ sale of 18,000 bricks, for $195 to $395 each, outside Citi Field generated $3 million for charity. Each brick contains a personal message.

The demand was so high for the bricks that the Mets are in the midst of selling 5,000 more.

Still, the Gate 2 preservation project would need to sell more bricks than the Mets have sold to raise $10 million.

The city originally planned to preserve the lower deck of the stadium, but Cavanaugh said doing so would have been logistically difficult and not have accommodated three new fields of varying sizes. The new stadium displaced Macombs Dam Park, requiring the city to build new parks around the neighborhood.

Cavanaugh said that Heritage Field would not ignore the old stadium’s history. It will include the white frieze in the bleachers that was built for the renovated stadium and modeled on the one that ringed the roof at the original ballpark; the giant bat outside the stadium; markers; plaques; audio; and part of the eastern exterior wall.

“We’re working with the community to interpret the stadium’s history, and its social and cultural significance,” Cavanaugh said.

The Parks Department is scheduled to present a revised version of its Heritage Field plan to the city’s design commission at a hearing next week, when Trush and Costello said they would speak.

The Yankees have filled their $1.5 billion stadium with visual reminders of their past — although, as Trush noted, there is no statue of Babe Ruth in his plaza — and what happens on the city-owned land across the street is not the team’s responsibility.

“It would have been great to have them on our side,” Costello said.

Trush said, “It’s not their decision.” Costello said, “They’ll come in after we win.”

Trush then offered a whimsical suggestion: a financial angel with the right number.

“Look,” he said, “it’s Gate 2. Jeter’s No. 2. He’s got the Turn 2 Foundation. He can buy the gate! Call it Turn 2 Gate.”

Comment

Does anyone else think this Yankees postseason would be a lot more exciting if their home games were being played in the real Yankee Stadium?

When the Yankees were on the road in previous playoffs, I literally could not wait until they would come back home. It was always, "yeah this stadium is okay, but just wait until they see Yankee Stadium! Just wait until they hear what those games sound like!" This year, I couldn't really care less whether they are at home or on the road. It feels exactly the same to me. It feels like a little something is missing.
              Yeah I'm with ya. A friend of mine who doesn't really outwardly miss the old place called me up and said how anti-climatic the home games are now and how weird it is watching on TV.
              Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Nobody involved ever had any intention of preserving any of the lower grandstand or anything else. That original "plan" was for public consumption so they could get the new project approved. It's called "bait and switch", an insidious way of gaining control over a situation to get what is desired. To the people like me who think honesty in government is vital for a properly functioning society, it's a kick in the #*%!'s. They're probably saving the bat because they don't feel like removing it. Does anybody really care about this boiler stack and consider it to be a part of "The building formerly known as Yankee Stadium"? It's also interesting that somebody who is not qualified to know about these things says the preservation costs will be in the $10 million range and the City quoted the number as though it was based in fact, when it was in reality pulled out of somebody's @$$. Corruption and greed will now cost NYC another landmark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
                  Yeah I'm with ya. A friend of mine who doesn't really outwardly miss the old place called me up and said how anti-climatic the home games are now and how weird it is watching on TV.
                  I wouldnt go that far, im not a big fan of new ys but the walkoffs have been pretty exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtB_XSbWw0
                  www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                    I wouldnt go that far, im not a big fan of new ys but the walkoffs have been pretty exciting.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7qtB_XSbWw0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7qtB_XSbWw0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
                    Anticlamitic isn't the right word. I hear ya on the walkoffs. But there was something about the opposition coming into the lions den of the real Stadium that this one doesn't have. And showing it off to the nation during the playoffs was a unique thing that is lost now. All that history on a nationwide telecast was a thing of intense pride for some of us.
                    Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

I don't have a problem with Yankee Stadium complaints, but if anything - anti-climactic should be at the BOTTOM of the list of problems with the new house.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qtB_XSbWw0
                        Funny how the early season walkoffs have fewer fans in the stands, clearly before ticket prices and stuff were adjusted. (with the obvious exception of the first walk-off that was dead due to rain delay). Also its funny how much more intense the celebration seems to get as the year progresses
                        sigpic

Comment

Anticlamitic isn't the right word. I hear ya on the walkoffs. But there was something about the opposition coming into the lions den of the real Stadium that this one doesn't have. And showing it off to the nation during the playoffs was a unique thing that is lost now. All that history on a nationwide telecast was a thing of intense pride for some of us.
                          I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts/feelings exactly; I just couldn't put my finger on it. Now, what we have to show off is empty seats, a generic bowl shaped look, and lights that are shut off around the foul poles, giving an unfinished and weird look to the stadium. I HATE that those lights are shut off!! "But, but, but, then the umpires won't be able to see the ball!?!" Don't give me that.
                          sigpic

Comment

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts/feelings exactly; I just couldn't put my finger on it. Now, what we have to show off is empty seats, a generic bowl shaped look, and lights that are shut off around the foul poles, giving an unfinished and weird look to the stadium. I HATE that those lights are shut off!! "But, but, but, then the umpires won't be able to see the ball!?!" Don't give me that.
                            I second your opinion on the lights, especially in RYS the lights in the approximate same location were ALWAYS on!
                            27 Time WORLD CHAMPIONS!

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                              Funny how the early season walkoffs have fewer fans in the stands, clearly before ticket prices and stuff were adjusted. (with the obvious exception of the first walk-off that was dead due to rain delay). Also its funny how much more intense the celebration seems to get as the year progresses
                              To be fair, couldn't you say that about any year? Fewer fans or not?

Celebrations tend to be more intense as the year progresses, of course depending on where you are in the standings and all.
                              NY Sports Day Independent Gotham Sports Coverage
                              Mets360 Mets Past, Present and Future
                              Talking Mets Baseball. A baseball blog with a Mets bias

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveJRogers View Post
                                To be fair, couldn't you say that about any year? Fewer fans or not?

Celebrations tend to be more intense as the year progresses, of course depending on where you are in the standings and all.
                                Well thats the funny thing - the Yankees hit a ton of walkoffs when they were well ahead of the Sox in the standings. I think it's just the surrealness of it all - having 14 walkoffs leads to some deja vu for sure
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X