Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
    Does anyone else think this Yankees postseason would be a lot more exciting if their home games were being played in the real Yankee Stadium?

When the Yankees were on the road in previous playoffs, I literally could not wait until they would come back home. It was always, "yeah this stadium is okay, but just wait until they see Yankee Stadium! Just wait until they hear what those games sound like!" This year, I couldn't really care less whether they are at home or on the road. It feels exactly the same to me. It feels like a little something is missing.
    locke, I hear ya, from a sentimental point of view and can't disagree in some respects.

But, personally, I think that NYS breathed new life and hope into this team, the fans and MLB. What was becoming stale was revived this year. Plus, there is no doubt in my mind that NYS is tailor-made for this Yankee team and fits them like a glove. I think they can attribute a lot of their success to the new environs, and not only because of the homers; this team hits homers everywhere.

I think that some of us are forgetting that Aura and Mystique went into a coma October 20 2004 and hadn't been heard from since. Hell, Aura and Mystique disappeared since 2001. I think this new stadium awoken them up with some incredible moments this season and post season. A new life, different in some way, familiar in others, but mostly good. How can we not love when a Yankee skys one out and get a view of the frieze as the camera follows the ball in flight. A spectacular view that didn't exist at RYS.

As to the person who said that the stadium wasn't alive in the ALDS and ALCS like the old, tell that to the hundreds of writers, broadcasters, players and fans who attended, some Yankee fans, some not. They all have reported (and told me) that the NYS was as electric as RYS ever was. Tell that to Vaccaro, Lupica (a notorious Yankee hater) and Sherman who said that the stadium literally rocked and shook. I've also attended playoff and world series games at RYS that were as quiet as a church mouse until or unless something happened.

Perhaps YankeeStadium1923's written and obvious hatred for NYS since before a game was even played there, influences his perception. Not a knock, but if I go into something hating it, it would be pretty hard for me to come out of it with any good feeling.
    Last edited by Rob R; 10-22-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post
      Anticlamitic isn't the right word. I hear ya on the walkoffs. But there was something about the opposition coming into the lions den of the real Stadium that this one doesn't have. And showing it off to the nation during the playoffs was a unique thing that is lost now. All that history on a nationwide telecast was a thing of intense pride for some of us.
      I agree with all of your points. But, RYS is rotting away, its something were gonna have to deal with. I know in 40 years when im a wrinkled 70 year old man im going to have fond memories of RYS. Id like to show my grandchildren the pictures of me roaming the dugout and infield of that beloved stadium that will probably be long forgotten by then.
      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        locke, I hear ya, from a sentimental point of view and can't disagree in some respects.

But, personally, I think that NYS breathed new life and hope into this team, the fans and MLB. What was becoming stale was revived this year. Plus, there is no doubt in my mind that NYS is tailor-made for this Yankee team and fits them like a glove. I think they can attribute a lot of their success to the new environs, and not only because of the homers; this team hits homers everywhere.

I think that some of us are forgetting that Aura and Mystique went into a coma October 20 2004 and hadn't been heard from since. Hell, Aura and Mystique disappeared since 2001. I think this new stadium awoken them up with some incredible moments this season and post season. A new life, different in some way, familiar in others, but mostly good. How can we not love when a Yankee skys one out and get a view of the frieze as the camera follows the ball in flight. A spectacular view that didn't exist at RYS.

As to the person who said that the stadium wasn't alive in the ALDS and ALCS like the old, tell that to the hundreds of writers, broadcasters, players and fans who attended, some Yankee fans, some not. They all have reported (and told me) that the NYS was as electric as RYS ever was. Tell that to Vaccaro, Lupica (a notorious Yankee hater) and Sherman who said that the stadium literally rocked and shook. I've also attended playoff and world series games at RYS that were as quiet as a church mouse until or unless something happened.

Perhaps YankeeStadium1923's written and obvious hatred for NYS since before a game was even played there, influences his perception. Not a knock, but if I go into something hating it, it would be pretty hard for me to come out of it with any good feeling.
        Rob, no matter how dire my concerns might be about the NYS, you always seem to reassure me that everything will work out for the best. I've been to the NYS about 12 times this season, and I always give it the benefit of the doubt before entering. However, the lack of any type of overhang/cantilever is going to be quite difficult to overcome. I will get there, though.
        sigpic

Comment

• CC, AJ, Tex and a more contented A-Rod are what brought this team up to where it is, which is maybe the best one since '98. To credit the new building is silly. I've been an A-Rod critic in the past, but he seems to be a new man these days and I'm happy for him and us fans.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
            CC, AJ, Tex and a more contented A-Rod are what brought this team up to where it is, which is maybe the best one since '98. To credit the new building is silly. I've been an A-Rod critic in the past, but he seems to be a new man these days and I'm happy for him and us fans.
            Exactly. Yes its housed some great moments so far, but when you go out and spend the money they spent, and gotten the quality players they've gotten, coupled with the fact that Arod is finally feeling comfortable as a Yankee and performing at an all time level, they would have done the very same thing across the street.
            The new stadium is great, its beautiful, its rocked during the postseason. But the whole mystique and aura nonsense just makes for good talk radio and interesting articles. its the superbly talented team that takes the field every night and for once in a long time looks to be happy together that makes the Yankees go.

Comment

• I think the new digs definitely added some excitement to this team, but not enough to make a huge difference. Maybe it helped with the team chemistry, who knows. My guess is that Swisher and Girardi are also big factors in this year's attitude.
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                I think the new digs definitely added some excitement to this team, but not enough to make a huge difference. Maybe it helped with the team chemistry, who knows. My guess is that Swisher and Girardi are also big factors in this year's attitude.
                it added a "fresh start" a new clean canvas.

But again the talent they aquired and team they built is what makes all the difference

Comment

Rob - you could also argue that this terrific Yankee team OVERCAME the loss of their historic home, the grand cathedral of all baseball ... and still won.

Says a lot about the team that they could do that.

I don't hate the new stadium as a place to watch a game, but as a replacement for the real thing which still stands in hulking dark remnants across the street? Yeah, every baseball fan should.

Despite the negativity of the new stadium, this team still stayed upbeat and motivated. Good on 'em.
                  Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Dear Friends,

With regard to the post by peterrod16 about Gate 2, I was wondering how much it would cost to make exact replicas of the medallions that were originally on the gate? What would the cost be if made of cement and what would the cost be if made of plaster? Just ballpark figures.

Also, how much for an exact replica of the name "Yankee Stadium" to be made for the Gate?

Thank you.

-Mike Wagner

Comment

• Originally posted by locke40 View Post
                      Rob, no matter how dire my concerns might be about the NYS, you always seem to reassure me that everything will work out for the best. I've been to the NYS about 12 times this season, and I always give it the benefit of the doubt before entering. However, the lack of any type of overhang/cantilever is going to be quite difficult to overcome. I will get there, though.

Thanks, locke40, I'm glad that I can have a positive effect.

You're one of the members where I read some of your complaints with NYS, often agreeing with you, but always taking you seriously because what you say is heartfelt, and you're open-minded when it comes to NYS. There are some who are just anti-NYS, regardless. It's useless to have any meanignful conversation with them.

I think I said it efore, but what I miss most about RYS is that overhang you speak of and how chill-inducing the sight of a full house lookes up there. And yes, it did look intimidating. I think that NYS makes of for some of that (certainly not all) with the frieze surrounding the stadium, that not only looks classic but tells the other team, "This is the NY Yankees, you're in their house, and they mean business!"

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                        CC, AJ, Tex and a more contented A-Rod are what brought this team up to where it is, which is maybe the best one since '98. To credit the new building is silly. I've been an A-Rod critic in the past, but he seems to be a new man these days and I'm happy for him and us fans.
                        Why is giving the building any credit silly? Do the dimensions at Fenway and the Green Monster not work in the Sox's favor? Just take a look at their home/away record and the answer is clear; they're a below .500 team away and a different team at home.

Sure, this Yankee team could win anywhere, but I'm sure that the short porch (as it did at RYS) worked in their favor, considering the amount of left handed and switch hitters in the lineup.

But some of my crediting the building itself, wasn't to be taken literal. As Vaz said, it is a fresh start. Also, the recent demons at RYS are no longer, and NYS brought new excitement to the team and fans. Thins were getting stale at RYS. As the season progressed, there was more excitement in this new building than there had been at RYS in a long time and I do think some it it had to do with the building. After all, Yankee fans are kind of used to winning baseball regardless of where they Yanks play.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Rob - you could also argue that this terrific Yankee team OVERCAME the loss of their historic home, the grand cathedral of all baseball ... and still won.
                          You certainly could look at it that way, but my perception is a valid one too.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          I don't hate the new stadium as a place to watch a game, but as a replacement for the real thing which still stands in hulking dark remnants across the street? Yeah, every baseball fan should.
                          I don't think fans view NYS as a replacement for the "real" stadium. Well, maybe here a couple of people do, but some have actually hated NYS before it was even built--which is their right.

Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                          Despite the negativity of the new stadium, this team still stayed upbeat and motivated. Good on 'em.
                          Do you really think that any of the Yankee players actually felt any negativity toward NYS and fought hard not to be depressed and to stay upbeat? I'm not so sure we need to credit the team for playing well despite the moat and $2,500 "slashed to $1,200" seats. On the contrary, I truly do believe that NYS brought some new excitement to the team. I'm sure they welcome their new creature comforts as well. That's not to give all the credit to NYS, but there truly was a different, special feeling this year.

Comment

Do you really think that any of the Yankee players actually felt any negativity toward NYS and fought hard not to be depressed and to stay upbeat? I'm not so sure we need to credit the team for playing well despite the moat and $2,500 "slashed to $1,200" seats. On the contrary, I truly do believe that NYS brought some new excitement to the team. I'm sure they welcome their new creature comforts as well. That's not to give all the credit to NYS, but there truly was a different, special feeling this year.
                            I hear Posada was peeved by the moat, but he's a hot head!

No you're right, it was hardly 'We Shall Overcome'...
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• There are new Chopper 88 photos of the demo on the wcbs880.com website today.
                              First Game- Twinight DH, Mets vs. Cards at Shea, August 22, 1965

Comment

• I just saw those aerial shots. You can still see the cutout of the infield. I'm glad I have my Danbury Mint lighted Yankee Stadium. At least I can always turn it on and see a crowd in it. Seeing the photos really almost makes one think, "They are getting ready for the renovation and it'll be open again in a year or two."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X