Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
    CC, AJ, Tex and a more contented A-Rod are what brought this team up to where it is, which is maybe the best one since '98. To credit the new building is silly. I've been an A-Rod critic in the past, but he seems to be a new man these days and I'm happy for him and us fans.
    Lets not forget where the real credit is due.....The undeniably fan favorites
    Randy Levine and Lonn Trost!
    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• NOOOOO :hissyfit: the 26 time world champions sign in the front is gone. When they take the actual YANKEE STADIUM letters down i think thats gonna be the worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
        Also, the recent demons at RYS are no longer, and NYS brought new excitement to the team and fans. Thins were getting stale at RYS. As the season progressed, there was more excitement in this new building than there had been at RYS in a long time and I do think some it it had to do with the building. After all, Yankee fans are kind of used to winning baseball regardless of where the Yanks play.
        I have to jump in here because I think that you contradicted yourself. I agree that there has been a noticeable rise in excitement and support that seemed to dwindle at OYS (or RYS), but I don't think that the new stadium had anything to do with it. You said it yourself, "After all, Yankee fans are kind of used to winning baseball regardless of where the Yanks play. It's the fact that the team is kicking ass again that has the fans excited, not the new stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by voodoochile View Post
          I have to jump in here because I think that you contradicted yourself. I agree that there has been a noticeable rise in excitement and support that seemed to dwindle at OYS (or RYS), but I don't think that the new stadium had anything to do with it. You said it yourself, "After all, Yankee fans are kind of used to winning baseball regardless of where the Yanks play. It's the fact that the team is kicking ass again that has the fans excited, not the new stadium.
          What I am saying is that because Yankee fans are used to winning baseball, any lack of excitement at RYS couldn't be attributed to the team not doing well. Given the same circumstances, there seemed to be more or renewed excitement at NYS. That passionate excitement seemed to dwindle at RYS the past few years despite the Yanks making the playoffs every year until last.

I think that NYS brought a fresh new start, the demons since 2001 left behind at RYS. The combination of the new building plus good baseball has brought an electricity to Yankee Stadium, new or old, that hasn't been seen in a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
            What I am saying is that because Yankee fans are used to winning baseball, any lack of excitement at RYS couldn't be attributed to the team not doing well. Given the same circumstances, there seemed to be more or renewed excitement at NYS. That passionate excitement seemed to dwindle at RYS the past few years despite the Yanks making the playoffs every year until last.

I think that NYS brought a fresh new start, the demons since 2001 left behind at RYS. The combination of the new building plus good baseball has brought an electricity to Yankee Stadium, new or old, that hasn't been seen in a while.
            Helps to have crooked umps on your payroll. Fair / foul balls or double plays that are not seen at the same base?

Comment

• Originally posted by orioles667083 View Post
              Helps to have crooked umps on your payroll. Fair / foul balls or double plays that are not seen at the same base?
              Bad umpiring has effected every team....

What about the Swisher tag up and Johnny Damon play at first during the ALCS?

And Lackey needs to shut his mouth....Good pitchers overcome ball/strike calls...

"Crooked Umps on your payroll".....Why ruin a good thing......I mean we have had the umps on the payroll since the Jeffrey Maier incident in the 1996 ALCS.
              Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Avid fan of the greatest Stadium ever built! Both in beauty and aesthetics throughout its long Glorious history.

Comment

• If the umps are on the take, it's been long before 1996. They've been blowing calls since I started crapping my diaper in '49. Any of you guys that are past 50 should relate to what I'm going to say. If you have noticed, after 50 you begin to find yourself doing things that you never did before, and you can't understand why. You misplace something, then you can't find it for days, or you set something down where you are sitting, and when you reach for it later it isn't there.
                There are other instances that you do similar things, you try to figure out what's happening, and when you can't you just brush it off. You make a bad decision that you never have before. You're asked to fix something around the house, usually something simple that a monkey could do, but you end up screwing it up. Get my drift? Wait until you're 60-65 or even 70 and see what happens.

I don't give a damn what the umpires, the umpires union, their management, doctors, lawyers or their momma's say. They should be no older than the ballplayers, because they can no longer keep up. Sure, they'll tell you otherwiswe, but that's part of the problem, they THINK that they can do it, but they never admit that they can't.

A call at first base should never be blown since they have the advantage of seeing the foot hit the bag along with hearing the ball hit the glove, provided they can see and hear clearly, or not confuse the two in their mind. Also consider that the mind may react one way, the body the other way. They see "safe" but the hand goes up for "out", and they can't stop it or change it.

Any of you guys remember Steve Palermo, the ump who was shot trying to help someone? Very young, (for an umpire) but very good and well respected. You could see his confidence when he worked any part of the field.

How many times has an umpire dropped dead behind the plate? Or at the least had a heart attack? Once should tell them something, but it's a lot more than that. The ballplayers have been playing baseball since they were little kids, and when they finally make it to the big show, IF they make it, why have an old man screw it all up for them? The bottom line is that they are too damn old for this position, period.

Comment

• Originally posted by orioles667083 View Post
                  I guess they're on the Twins payroll too, because had they not blown the call on Inge, the Tigers would have been rightfully playing the Yanks in the ALDS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Wagner View Post
                    Dear Friends,

With regard to the post by peterrod16 about Gate 2, I was wondering how much it would cost to make exact replicas of the medallions that were originally on the gate? What would the cost be if made of cement and what would the cost be if made of plaster? Just ballpark figures.

Also, how much for an exact replica of the name "Yankee Stadium" to be made for the Gate?

Thank you.

-Mike Wagner
                    When I posted photoshopped photos of Gate2 in October/December 2008 I used photos of the replica medallions given to Steinbrenner that hung on the Yankee Stadium exterior outside the Yankee offices. I had toured the Stadium after the grand finale and shot photos of gate 2 and the medallions and thought if Gate 2 was saved the replica medallions could be placed back on the original gate....
                    Unfortunately the medallions were recently auctioned via Steiner Sports this past July.
                    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...60#post1373160
                    Post #820

Games been cancelled. Another off day in a drawn out series and MLB postseason.
                    Yankee Stadium 1923-2008

Comment

• Rob, I have to say that I admire your passion and love for the new park and that cannot go without saying. I really do. :applaud:
                      You know me, I'm a Mets fan and I love the new Stadium!

But lets keep it real here man. Whether this current Yankees team was playing here or in the old park right across the street, they are still winning, the team is still exciting and the team is in this exact spot it's in today.

They went out and spent the most money on the very best free agent pitcher available. They got an MVP first baseman in Teixerra who has almost singlehandedly tilted the AL east back in the Yankees favor, and possibly his addition to the line up was instrumental in one of the games best and enigmatic players Alex Rodriguez finally feeling like he's a New York Yankee . They added two very different then usual but dynamic character players in Swisher and Burnett who have not only helped this team on the field but also have brought in a very loose attitude that to that clubhouse has filtered down through the whole team. The Yankees lacked these type of players for quite some time, no longer do they seem to play tight or buckle under the pressure as the previous have seem to. Even in the championship years from 1996 to 2000 they did not have these type of character players which makes this team maybe not better yet, but certainly different.

Again I love your passion for the park, but I really think this is all in your head.
                      Did the 1996 Yankees need a new stadium to start their dynasty run that would last just over 6 years? Did the 98 Yankees need a new ballpark to become arguably the best Yankees team ever? Did the 1976 Yankees make the World Series for the first time in 12 years because the place was renovated and looked good or was it simply because the team that the Yankees were building was getting really good?
                      For 70 years they played on 161st and River and won in extraordinary fashion a mind boggling 26 times.

There is no question that this new park has cleaned the slate for the organization and started a new chapter in it. It has added a new polished excitement to the Yankee brand, and possibly made a lot of their fans forget about some the previous years that have not been so Yankee like.
                      The 2001 team lost the World Series because for once Mariano Rivera with his one crucial error could not save a win in the bottom of the 9th. They lost in 2003 because a Marlins rookie came in and shut them down on 3 days rest in game 6. You can't tell me that Beckett was not scared or even the slightest bit intimidated by Yankee Stadium because I can assure he was, but he still went out and threw that night like he was pitching in some gulf coast league stadium in July with five people watching him. They lost in 2004 because after the Red Sox gained all that momentum back from 2 awe inspiring victories in games 4 and 5 could not put a reliable starter out there for games 6 and 7 to put a stop to the Red Sox 86 year curse breaking freight train that came rumbling through. They never lost because of that park, and the old park can certainly not be blamed for why they have not won a championship in 9 years.
                      The old park may have become stale to 'some' fans simply because the team playing there became stale.
                      The fans love the new park, the team loves it, but they're winning simply because they're far and away a much better team now. Thats it.
                      Last edited by Jim Vaz; 10-25-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Vaz View Post
                        Rob, I have to say that I admire your passion and love for the new park and that cannot go without saying. I really do. :applaud:
                        You know me, I'm a Mets fan and I love the new Stadium!

But lets keep it real here man. Whether this current Yankees team was playing here or in the old park right across the street, they are still winning, the team is still exciting and the team is in this exact spot it's in today.

They went out and spent the most money on the very best free agent pitcher available. They got an MVP first baseman in Teixerra who has almost singlehandedly tilted the AL east back in the Yankees favor, and possibly his addition to the line up was instrumental in one of the games best and enigmatic players Alex Rodriguez finally feeling like he's a New York Yankee . They added two very different then usual but dynamic character players in Swisher and Burnett who have not only helped this team on the field but also have brought in a very loose attitude that to that clubhouse has filtered down through the whole team. The Yankees lacked these type of players for quite some time, no longer do they seem to play tight or buckle under the pressure as the previous have seem to. Even in the championship years from 1996 to 2000 they did not have these type of character players which makes this team maybe not better yet, but certainly different.

Again I love your passion for the park, but I really think this is all in your head.
                        Did the 1996 Yankees need a new stadium to start their dynasty run that would last just over 6 years? Did the 98 Yankees need a new ballpark to become arguably the best Yankees team ever? Did the 1976 Yankees make the World Series for the first time in 12 years because the place was renovated and looked good or was it simply because the team that the Yankees were building was getting really good?
                        For 70 years they played on 161st and River and won in extraordinary fashion a mind boggling 26 times.

There is no question that this new park has cleaned the slate for the organization and started a new chapter in it. It has added a new polished excitement to the Yankee brand, and possibly made a lot of their fans forget about some the previous years that have not been so Yankee like.
                        The 2001 team lost the World Series because for once Mariano Rivera with his one crucial error could not save a win in the bottom of the 9th. They lost in 2003 because a Marlins rookie came in and shut them down on 3 days rest in game 6. You can't tell me that Beckett was not scared or even the slightest bit intimidated by Yankee Stadium because I can assure he was, but he still went out and threw that night like he was pitching in some gulf coast league stadium in July with five people watching him. They lost in 2004 because after the Red Sox gained all that momentum back from 2 awe inspiring victories in games 4 and 5 could not put a reliable starter out there for games 6 and 7 to put a stop to the Red Sox 86 year curse breaking freight train that came rumbling through. They never lost because of that park, and the old park can certainly not be blamed for why they have not won a championship in 9 years.
                        The old park may have become stale to 'some' fans simply because the team playing there became stale.
                        The fans love the new park, the team loves it, but they're winning simply because they're far and away a much better team now. Thats it.
                        Yeah, I think he's got you there Rob - the biggest amenities on River Avenue were named Sabathia and Texeira.

It's a virtual all-star team that's playing really well. They'd-a-won in the real historic stadium, too, I think. And it would have been 20% louder, and even scarier for visiting teams...
                        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• I think it's a combination of these things:

1. The huge off-season acquisitions of CC, AJ, Tex, and Swisher (I include Swisher because of his laid-back clubhouse attitude, it goes a long way trust me)

2. The new Yankee Stadium

3. The switch from Torre to Girardi

4. The fading presence of George Steinbrenner

You look at these four major transitions in this team, and it shows a major major adjustment in the status of Yankee Universe. Just five years ago, we had a team that was completely unbalanced, the Steinbrenner-Torre feud was at a fever pitch, and the clubhouse chemistry sucked - you could sense it. All of 4 things listed above have all happened relatively quickly in the last four years, and it's had an incredibly synergistic effect on the team. The Yankees feel and look different - and I think it's all four of these things (not just a new stadium) that has given this team a tabula rasa.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                            I think it's a combination of these things:

1. The huge off-season acquisitions of CC, AJ, Tex, and Swisher (I include Swisher because of his laid-back clubhouse attitude, it goes a long way trust me)

You look at these four major transitions in this team, and it shows a major major adjustment in the status of Yankee Universe. Just five years ago, we had a team that was completely unbalanced, the Steinbrenner-Torre feud was at a fever pitch, and the clubhouse chemistry sucked - you could sense it. All of 4 things listed above have all happened relatively quickly in the last four years, and it's had an incredibly synergistic effect on the team. The Yankees feel and look different - and I think it's all four of these things (not just a new stadium) that has given this team a tabula rasa.
                            Well, I disagree on the last three - they overcame the managing of Girardi (Torre is a Hall of Fame manager and oceans better than Joltin' Joe) and the new stadium is - at best - neutral, but perhaps a slight negative factor in the loss of intimidation.

No, in my view, it was all the expensive acquisitions - they really paid off. That, and A-Rod's Vulcan mind-meld....
                            Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Vaz, Straw and others...

I'm not sure I'm saying the Yanks are winning solely because of the new park or that it's the dominant factor?

I'm certainly not discounting the additions of CC, Teixeira and to an extent, AJ and a much improved bench. That's pretty much your answer right there. Let's not forget the homegrown kids, of which there are many and more to come in the future. What I am saying is that NYS seems to have invigorated not only the fanbase, but some of the old guard and new players too. There's no denying that it also plays well for this switch hitting-rich team.

I'm also addressing the "Mystique and Aura" crowd who are lamenting the fact that the Yanks aren't doing this in the so-called more "intimidating" park. Like I said, Mystique and Aura have either been in a coma the last 8 years, or somebody forgot to send the memo to opposing teams that they even existed. Beckett intimidated by RYS in 2003? Highly doubtful. Nor were the 2004 Sox, especially in game 7. Which tells us that RYS was no more/no less responsible for the 26 rings as any future rings might be at NYS. Of course, there is always home field advantage. The Sox are a below .500 team this year without it.

But there is no doubt a new excitement in the air, due to an improved team AND a new stadium, an excitement that wasn't as intense the past few post season visits. We can't say that's because of the poor outcome the past 8 years, because while they're playing nobody knows that they'll be taking an early vacation. The buzz and intensity just wasn't there at RYS as it was in the past, something I witnessed firsthand. Yes, even Yankee fans can become jaded, and that's what I mean when I said that they've been invigorated this year, in part because of the new stadium.
                              Last edited by Rob R; 10-25-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RationalNYYfan View Post
                                I think it's a combination of these things:

That's a very good perspective and take on things. To address others saying Giradi is over-managing: I agree to a certain degree, he has made some questionable, head-scratching moves, but Torre couldn't hold his jock as far as in-game managing is concerned. Torre is also known for blowing out arms, particularly in the pen, rendering them burnt out or less capable, as Dodger fans can attest. He also played favorites to a fault. The Yanks won in spite Joe Torre, though I give him credit for holding the team together. That was Buck's team that was on the cusp and Torre was certainly benefactor, coming in at the right time. Mo was also just coming into his own, and that didn't hurt. What Torre was and still is, is a great clubhouse manager and communicator, a "trusting" father figure, but even that took a hit after his book came out.

I think that Yankee fans seemingly have a different perspective as we follow them day in day out, their every move. We live and die by them.
                                Last edited by Rob R; 10-25-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X