No announcement yet.

Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this crap about the new stadium reinvigorating the franchise is absolute gibberish. And all the talk about the old stadium being stale, gimme a break!!! From 2004-2008 the Yankees lacked a dominant starting pitcher, or even a capable #2 starting pitcher, and this is the main reason why the Yankees performed so poorly in the playoffs each year. It was a miracle the Yankees were an inning away from the World Series in 2004 with the horrible starting rotation the team had.

The Yankees won in 1996 because they were on a magic carpet ride and they got all the breaks. They won from 1998-2000 in large part because when it came to the post season they had El Duque who was incredible and he will go down as the second greatest post season pitcher in the history of the franchise behind Mariano. And they're favored to win in 2009 in large part because of Sabathia. Bottom line....a lot of this comes down to starting pitching and from 2004-2008 the Yankees didn't have any. As for Swisher and Burnett, a lot of this clubhouse chemistry is BS.

As for Torre versus Girardi, I don't consider either one of them a great manager. But Torre has better people skills, and he doesn't over manage the way Girardi does. The biggest mistake in the Torre era was his unwarranted confidence in Tom Gordon in games 4 and 5 at Fenway Park in 2004...Rivera should've started the 8th inning in both games. And to Girardi's credit he is using Rivera more than Torre did, but overall I like Torre a lot more because of his personality and Girardi's performance this postseason has not been good. Corporate Cashman humiliated an alltime yankee great...a guy who kept the Yankee brand afloat at a time when the Mets owned New York...and what does he do... he dumps don mattingly because Girardi looks better in his uniform and if the Yankees win it will be in spite of Girardi.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
      As for Torre versus Girardi, I don't consider either one of them a great manager. But Torre has better people skills, and he doesn't over manage the way Girardi does. The biggest mistake in the Torre era was his unwarranted confidence in Tom Gordon in games 4 and 5 at Fenway Park in 2004...Rivera should've started the 8th inning in both games. And to Girardi's credit he is using Rivera more than Torre did, but overall I like Torre a lot more because of his personality and Girardi's performance this postseason has not been good. Corporate Cashman humiliated an alltime yankee great...a guy who kept the Yankee brand afloat at a time when the Mets owned New York...and what does he do... he dumps don mattingly because Girardi looks better in his uniform and if the Yankees win it will be in spite of Girardi.
      Couldn't have said it better
      Huge Yankees & Mike Mussina Fan

Check Out My Youtube Channel For More Of My Yankees Collection

Check Out My MLB 2K11 Yankees Franchise

Comment

• Originally posted by OllieNYY View Post
        Couldn't have said it better
        Agreed - this should always have been Mattingly's team - Torre to Mattingly.
        Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
          Forget your gibberish about NYS and hatred for it. We won't go down that road. But, your commentary on Torre shows just how little you know about baseball, maybe even less than Torre's in game managing and handling of the pen.

You do know how many arms Torre's ruined, do you not? How he plays favorites with no rational explanation? How he knows squat about sabermetrics? How he even gets blasted by the LA media?

And what does Mattingly know about managing? He wasn't even a good hitting coach. And need I remind you that as captain of the Yankee team that he admitted he wasn't a "leader" and was known to "lead by example" by the press? Just how do you lead by example in the dugout? Great, gutsy ballplayer, yes. That doesn't translate to managing.

Girardi isn't perfect by any means, but he's learning, won the manager of the year award in the NL and those who know baseball better than you and I have said that he has one of the better futures in the game as manager. He doesn't have the gift of gab of Torre (some call it Torre BS) but he's improved.

And Torre proved to be an untrustworthy piece of spit in his book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
            Agreed - this should always have been Mattingly's team - Torre to Mattingly.
            Why?.........

Comment

• Train is derailed

. . . and what does ANY of this have to do with the demolition of Yankee Stadium?

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                . . . and what does ANY of this have to do with the demolition of Yankee Stadium?
                Surely, someone's bringing a camera to the game tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by SparkyL View Post
                  Damn, man! Why did you have to say that just when I was gonna' put my two cents in?

Torre could manage if he had a good team, and he did. (who couldn't?)

Torre is having trouble in LA because of pitching. (sound familiar?)

I live in LA. I watch the Dodgers because of Torre. He runs the team well, and Mattingly doesn't do ****.

The Yankees could win with this team with Cheetah as manager. Girardi could be his bench coach.

Tony Pena, who also interviewed for the manager's job, should've been hired.

Comment

• One more thing. Mattingly couldn't manage his check book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                      Why?.........
                      ...probably something having to do with him being the heart and soul of this ballclub for well over a decade...
                      www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• This isn't the place to discuss Yankee hierarchy and who deserves what, folks. As we have seen implored so many times, stick to the topic. There is another forum to discuss Yankee managers, etc. The complaint you only post here does not fly as an excuse.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                          ...probably something having to do with him being the heart and soul of this ballclub for well over a decade...
                          ...probably has nothing to do with being qualified to manage a ballclub.

Anyway, back on topic. If anybody will be at the World Series, we could use some photos of RYS...it's been a while.

I might go to game 7, if there's a game 7, so I'll do likewise.

Comment

• Snapped some pics today.

Gate 6 Pod from E157th Street

View from Metro-North platform

Gate 6

Gate 4

Gate 4 Pod
                            Last edited by NYaDiO; 10-26-2009, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELPED!!!

The Hearing was a GREAT success, resulting in official disapproval of the Department's preliminary plan for the old Yankee Stadium Site!!!

Parks has been firmly directed to overhaul the park design.

Below is the Committee's very well received presentation

As presented by Cindy Jones

Committee to Commemorate

Old Yankee Stadium

Public Design Commission Hearing

New York City Hall

October 26, 2009

Thank you so very much for this great honor & opportunity to speak on behalf of people around the country, who so passionately want to pay tribute to the greatest Stadium in the American history….America’s Coliseum…Old Yankee Stadium.

As Mayor Bloomberg reported only last year, in the "Official Yankee Stadium Retrospective" Old Yankee Stadium is one of New York's three most asked-about New York City international icons, along with Empire State Building, and the Empire State Building. Wherever he travels around the world, he said, people always ask about [Old] Yankee Stadium.

Dozens of international luminaries, including presidents, governors, and celebrities of every type - joined the Mayor in this book - one of many hundreds written on the history of the Stadium - voicing how very highly regarded the Stadium is around the world.

Indeed, it is Old Yankee Stadium's unmatched prominence, that compelled me to fly in this morning from my home state of Virginia, to encourage and plead to the great City of New York to "properly preserve and celebrate" this national landmark and treasure.

Commissioners, the Committee to Commemorate Old Yankee Stadium

request that you please Save Gate 2,

The exciting reality is that Gate 2 IS overwhelmingly original - as the two photos of Gate 2 before you make unmistakeably clear - one from the 1930's and the other taken just this year. The City's original belief that Gate 2 was NOT original was wrong.

And, moreover, Gate 2 is PERFECTLY located between New and Old Yankee Stadiums -- providing a magnificent architectural, and even spiritual, Gateway, connecting our past to our future.

As Bronx County Historian, Dr. Lloyd Ultan, observed in Paul Goldberger's recent article in the New Yorker citing authoritative criticisms of preliminary park design:

“What’s missing from the park plan is the architecture of the Stadium itself.”

- later stating that a large, tangible part of the original stadium is needed to effectively communicate the original Stadium's majesty & size, like ruins of antiquity so powerfully do.

Architectural experts Rick Bell, Jeff Bianco, Phil Reina - along with so many others - the preliminary design as "lacking authenticity".

In fact, neither Babe, nor Lou, saw ANYTHING included in the current proposal!

BUT, they saw Gate 2!!

Yankee Stadium historians across the country - including Bill Jenkinson and the City's own Dr. Ultan - emphatically agree, adding that a meaningful tangible memory from the Stadium's most glorious days is needed to properly record its irreplaceable preeminence.

As Paul Doherty, a leading authority on Yankee Stadium, put it:

"Gate 2 will serve as a cultural lamp post to the great eras of New York City's sporting dominance - second only to the Roman Coliseum in its importance to the overall history of world sports."

The essential point we all must remember is that:

If Gate 2 is not saved, nothing of the Stadium's most glorious era and architecture will be!

We also respectfully request, Commissioners, that the Old Yankee Stadium Site be called "Old Yankee Stadium Park", rather than the overly common and nondescript "Heritage Field", or "Park" of which there are so very many across the country - including one at the Cleveland Indians' Stadium right up the road in the Yankees' own AL East!

"Old Yankee Stadium Park" is clearly a far better name - one that truly "celebrates the site's rich history", as is the charter and goal of the Commission. Paul Goldberger, the renowned New York historic architect - and the City's Board Member for the National Trust for Historic Preservation - also disapproves of the name. Dr. Ultan emphatically joins him, along with preeminent historians and Baseball fans of the Stadium across the City, and country.

For similarly compelling reasons, we request the baseball area of the new park be called "Babe Ruth Memorial Field" - to both tribute New York's greatest and beloved sports hero, and to replace the original "Babe Ruth Memorial Baseball Filed" - recently destroyed to make way for New Yankee Stadium. Your very distinguished Art Commission predecessor, Williams Adams Delano, was a leading participant in the creation of Babe Ruth Memorial Field, created sixty years ago, as a "permanent" tribute to New York's (still) most beloved and immortal sports figure - New York's great Babe Ruth.

In closing Commissioners, I quote another New York great, Jackie Kennedy, who did so very much for preserving this great City's cultural treasures, and whose statement forty years ago so perfectly addresses why we must save Gate 2:

"Is it not cruel to let New York die by degrees, stripped of all her proudest moments, until there will be nothing left of history and beauty to inspire our children? If they are not inspired by the past of our City, where will they find the strength to fight for her future? Americans care about their past, but, for short term gain, they ignore it and tear down everything that matters. This is the time to take a stand and reverse the tide."

Please, Commissioners, save Gate 2, at "Old Yankee Stadium Park" - not only for Babe & Lou … but, most of all, for all our children and loved ones - and all those who follow us - so they can see and even touch "The House That Ruth Built" - the greatest Stadium in our nation's history- "Old Yankee Stadium.".

Comment

• wow, good stuff.
                                www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X