Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Monument
    replied
    yankeefan, I'd say there is no chance that the balconies end up in NYS. Remember, there was no effort to preserve them, least of all by the Yankees. Mike W, hope to see you in NY this time around. That's great that you were introduced by Bob Sheppard.

Leave a comment:

• Strawman
    replied
    Yeah George was a giant of NY baseball, up there with John J. McGraw, Col Ruppert and all the rest. We hardly knew ye...

Leave a comment:

• mandrake
    replied
    Not directly related to YS demo......but maybe people can cut him slack for a while...

Just coming in on wires.....Steinbrenner may have had a massive heart attack and is rushed to hospital.

some web rumors say he may have died.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Dear The Monument,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I just turned 55 on July 10th. I'm glad to say I don't usually feel that old. When we go, I plan to see you and many Baseball Feverites at OYS. We'll talk baseball with the Babe and the gang, get autographs, and maybe be able to take a few swings at the plate. After all, it is heaven.

I had the honor and pleasure of going to the Yankee Fantasy Camp in 2006. My name was announced by Bob Sheppard. I have the recording. What an honor to be announced by this marvelous legend!!!!!!!

Also, thanks for the info about the balcony and other items.

My wife and I plan to be in New York and New England towards the end of September. We hope so. Of course, it depends on if both of our employers give us the okay. Yes, Yankee Stadium will be on the list, as will Carnegie Deli. We won't know for a few weeks.

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• DN4L
    replied
    Originally posted by Yankeefan3783 View Post
    Great info, thanks. I wonder if there's any chance the balconies end up at NYS?

That would be nice...

Leave a comment:

• Yankeefan3783
    replied
    Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    A few things that I've learned in the last couple of days.
    1-The Gate 2 balconies are being stored in NYC, I can't say where, and they will not be used in Heritage Field. One is intact, one slightly damaged and one pretty banged up. Their future is unknown.
    2-Two sections of the frieze are being stored at another location in NY and are still planned to be used in HP. Other sections exist, unknown location, while most of it was destroyed.
    3-The Yankees logo from the dugout roof will be donated to the Bronx Museum, perhaps very soon. It is being stored with the balconies.
    I forgot to inquire about the National Geographic show. It is possible that a demo book will come out in the future. There were many thousands of images taken during the entire demo. I'm sure we'll see some of them someday, but too soon to tell in what form. Most of this is old news, except for the dugout logo, but that's what I got.
    Great info, thanks. I wonder if there's any chance the balconies end up at NYS?

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied
    Originally posted by The Monument View Post
    Mike, I just turned 49 today and hopefully I have 30-40 years left in me, but I told my wife years ago that to find me in the hereafter she'll have to go to OYS. She doesn't know or care about escalator pods, but if that's what I see when I get there, I'll know I ain't in Heaven.

Happy Birthday and a great line! LOL

Leave a comment:

• The Monument
    replied
    A few things that I've learned in the last couple of days.
    1-The Gate 2 balconies are being stored in NYC, I can't say where, and they will not be used in Heritage Field. One is intact, one slightly damaged and one pretty banged up. Their future is unknown.
    2-Two sections of the frieze are being stored at another location in NY and are still planned to be used in HP. Other sections exist, unknown location, while most of it was destroyed.
    3-The Yankees logo from the dugout roof will be donated to the Bronx Museum, perhaps very soon. It is being stored with the balconies.
    I forgot to inquire about the National Geographic show. It is possible that a demo book will come out in the future. There were many thousands of images taken during the entire demo. I'm sure we'll see some of them someday, but too soon to tell in what form. Most of this is old news, except for the dugout logo, but that's what I got.

Leave a comment:

• The Monument
    replied
    Mike, I just turned 49 today and hopefully I have 30-40 years left in me, but I told my wife years ago that to find me in the hereafter she'll have to go to OYS. She doesn't know or care about escalator pods, but if that's what I see when I get there, I'll know I ain't in Heaven.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Wagner
    replied
    Yankee Stadium is in heaven, along with our heroes. And Bob Sheppard is announcing them when they come to bat. When my time comes to leave this earth, that's where I want to spend much of my time. What can be better than to be with your loved ones and beloved heroes in your beloved home away from home? I can finally see the Babe, Lou, and the rest of my heroes in person. And maybe the hot dogs will be free!

-Mike Wagner

Leave a comment:

• Mattingly85MVP
    replied
    Originally posted by drdg View Post
    now that bob sheppard is gone
    I WILL BE THE FIRST TO REQUEST THAT LAND THAT IS PRESENTLY GOING TO BE NAME heritage field
    BE RENAME BOB SHEPPARD PLACE OR BOB SHEPPARD FIELD
    after all he spend over 50 years there
    longer then any yankee player
    maybe even Bob Sheppard Park...love the idea, they should honor him on the old yankee stadium site in some way

Leave a comment:

• drdg
    replied
    now that bob sheppard is gone
    I WILL BE THE FIRST TO REQUEST THAT LAND THAT IS PRESENTLY GOING TO BE NAME heritage field
    BE RENAME BOB SHEPPARD PLACE OR BOB SHEPPARD FIELD
    after all he spend over 50 years there
    longer then any yankee player
    Last edited by drdg; 07-12-2010, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darbypitcher22
    replied
    whoever said that the place really feels like its gone now that Mr. Sheppard has passed, I wholeheartedly agree with him

Leave a comment:

• the stadium guy
    replied
    Originally posted by shaneslatts View Post
    Well.... I agree... Yankee Stadium IS demolished, it is as Yogi said ....
    'Gone, outa here'

I wish I could have just one more day there, in the upper deck behind home plate...
    I sat there in 1973, and sat there again thru the 70's 80's and the 90's........

To those who say ' Yankee Stadium ceased to exist after 1973'...
    I dont want to argue with you as you all know how I feel about that...
    I would just like to say I wish you who never were there could have been there, man it was something...
    In person, the facade ( yes, I will call it by its improper name ) just seemed so huge....it was just so ornate
    I wish you could have seen, and HEARD the roar of that place when Murcer would put one in the short porch, or when Lyle would be driven in from the bull pen to the strain of ' pomp and circumstance'......

I am truely sorry that most of you folks missed all that.......

We didnt need huge video boards... we didnt care if the seats were made of wood.... we were in Yankee Stadium... if we closed our eyes, we could imagine the Babe out in right field.. and the Mick in center..

And even though many will disagree, when I went back there in 1976, I could still imagine those same things...

And in closing.......
    When they tore down the last wall of Yankee Stadium, a little bit of a kids heart was torn down as well...

I would like to say that it does not matter that the place is history, totaly gone...
    Maybe when I see the kids playing on the field it will make it all right some how...
    But I will have to force myself to believe that
    Bingo.

Brad

Leave a comment:

• dabigyankeeman
    replied
    Great post shaneslatts. I grew up in New York and went to the stadium starting in the mid-1950's, watching Mantle before he was a cripple. When they re-did it in the 1970's, it was still The Stadium to me. You could see the old bleachers were still there, and a lot of the stadium was still there. You felt like it was still Yankee Stadium. It broke my heart to see this current demolition, i think its the first time i have ever shed a tear for a building, as it was still Yankee Stadium to me, and I also like you, had sat there and seen games in all the configurations in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and 2000's. I dont go along with those that say the stadium was gone in the mid-1970's, but the stadium is gone NOW.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X