Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Just 'Yankee Stadium'

Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
    I think Turner's gonna really start tearing into this place as soon as the series is over. November and December could be nasty months for those fans who care about the past.
    I suggest that until it's gone, we all stop playing in the hands of those who are bringing about its destruction, and stop using the frame of "OYS."

It's not OYS.

It's Yankee Stadium.

A real landmark. A site of massive historic significance. One of the city's true cultural heritage locations. The real thing.

Don't accept the corporate propaganda!
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Comment

• I have a stupid question. What is the significance of Gate 2 over other gates of OYS / RYS? Is it the prox. of the subway & view of it relative to the NYS? Or something else I may have missed on here previously. Seems like typically, the natural consideration for preservation would behind homeplate (gate 4?).

I beg pardon Strawman, I do believe you are right. Yankee Stadium and Yankee Stadium Jr. is how I will refer to either in the future ;-)
      Last edited by DiggerODell; 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM.

Comment

• Lawsuit!

Thought this was interesting .... It should be REALLY interesting to see how this plays out in the courts:

Steiner, Yankees Facing Lawsuit Over Stadium Seats
        October 29, 2009

Summary $5 million lawsuit hinges on refurbished seats.

Steiner Sports is facing a lawsuit from a New York Yankees season ticket holder from New Jersey, claiming the stadium seats he bought for $2,000 – the seats he sat in for 23 years – were not the original seats as promised. John Lefkus claims the seats had been repainted and the armrests were replaced. Lefkus filed a $5 million class-action lawsuit against Steiner and the Yankees on behalf of all Yankees fans who purchased seats.

In a New York Post article, Brandon Steiner, founder of Steiner Sports, explained the re-painting of the seats as part of the process because of concerns over lead in the paint. All of the seatbacks and bottoms were tagged during the process, but the armrests were not. “It was impossible to tag all the armrests,” Steiner told the Post. “They all had to go into an oven and we didn’t have a system in place to keep track of them.” Steiner said he offered Lefkus a refund and then offered the seats for free.

The lawsuit reads, “Seats sold as authentic, unrefurbished, and original Yankee Stadium seats were simply new pairs of seats constructed with a combination of new hardware and repainted parts of old seats.”

(Story Courtesy of "Sports Collector's Digest")
        Last edited by RichieA13; 10-29-2009, 04:45 PM.
        ------------------------------------------
        www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
        www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
        www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Can gate 2 really be called the only gate as it appeared the same pre and post renovation if the "Yankee Stadium" sign and medallions are not there, haven't been since renovation?

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
            I have a stupid question. What is the significance of Gate 2 over other gates of OYS / RYS?
            I was wondering the same thing, especially in light of the earlier post which seems to indicate that Gate 2 wasn't part of the original stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by DiggerODell View Post
              I have a stupid question. What is the significance of Gate 2 over other gates of OYS / RYS? Is it the prox. of the subway & view of it relative to the NYS? Or something else I may have missed on here previously. Seems like typically, the natural consideration for preservation would behind homeplate (gate 4?).

I beg pardon Strawman, I do believe you are right. Yankee Stadium and Yankee Stadium Jr. is how I will refer to either in the future ;-)
              Of all the three main gates, Digger .... it's the only one that retained the look of the early Stadium & wasn't tinkered with very much during the 70's renovation, sans the removal of the "Y A N K E E S T A D I U M" letters & the eagle logos on each side of the old letters. It was also lucky enough not to have had to deal with the indignity of being buried DIRECTLY under one of those hideously ugly 'pods'! Luckily for Gate 2, it's pod was placed on the side of the entrance & not right in front of it .... thus preserving it's original look.

Of course, Gate 2's geography to "Fake-e" Stadium just across 161st Street DOES help its cause to be saved greatly!

It would serve NICELY as an entrance to the eventual park slated to be built on the site's hallowed grounds.
              Last edited by RichieA13; 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM.
              www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• It would cool if all three main gates were saved and restored to their original design. That really would give future generations an idea of the magnitude of the "Original Yankee Stadium". See....OYS is not a bad thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strawman View Post
                  I suggest that until it's gone, we all stop playing in the hands of those who are bringing about its destruction, and stop using the frame of "OYS."

It's not OYS.

It's Yankee Stadium.

A real landmark. A site of massive historic significance. One of the city's true cultural heritage locations. The real thing.

Don't accept the corporate propaganda!
                  How about no. Its far from corporate propaganda. Its a new Yankee Stadium, period. And the one going down is the Old Yankee Stadium. The real travesty was the renovation done to the OYS.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
                    How about no. Its far from corporate propaganda. Its a new Yankee Stadium, period. And the one going down is the Old Yankee Stadium. The real travesty was the renovation done to the OYS.
                    That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
                      That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
                      Sadly, there was a time period between say 1957-1975 or so, where everything in sports that was old was "bad" so it had to be replaced with something 'good'.

Only a few places survived that thinking (i.e Fenway, Wrigley, Saratoga race track) Back in the late 50's, there were plans to raze Saratoga too because it was too old and most of its racing was shifted to Jamaica Race track because fans did not want to travel up to a dump. Funny how the Spa thrives 50 years later.

Outside of KC, who did it right in 1972-73 (baseball only and football only great stadiums) nearly every city went nuts with half baked renovations or building cooker cutters.

I have stated before that the Yankees should have radically transformed RYS back into OYS.....(almost converting RYS into NYS). It would have meant playing at least 2 years in Queens, but so what. It worked back in 74-75.

Think NYS amenities into 1923 workmanship. No inch wide cracks, for sure!

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
                        "Fake-e" Stadium
                        Oh that's good. REALLY good.

God bless you.
                        Fake Yankee stadium Fail!

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post

God bless you.
                          Thanks, Max ..... Glad you like it!

FAKE-EE STADIUM
                          "The House That Greed Built"
                          www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Maxlugar View Post

God bless you.

I like it too. Great idea!!!
                            Jimmy Dugan: Because there's no crying in baseball. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! No crying! (Tom Hanks, "A League of Their Own" (1992)

Comment

• Originally posted by mandrake View Post
                              Sadly, there was a time period between say 1957-1975 or so, where everything in sports that was old was "bad" so it had to be replaced with something 'good'.

Only a few places survived that thinking (i.e Fenway, Wrigley, Saratoga race track) Back in the late 50's, there were plans to raze Saratoga too because it was too old and most of its racing was shifted to Jamaica Race track because fans did not want to travel up to a dump. Funny how the Spa thrives 50 years later.

Outside of KC, who did it right in 1972-73 (baseball only and football only great stadiums) nearly every city went nuts with half baked renovations or building cooker cutters.

I have stated before that the Yankees should have radically transformed RYS back into OYS.....(almost converting RYS into NYS). It would have meant playing at least 2 years in Queens, but so what. It worked back in 74-75.

Think NYS amenities into 1923 workmanship. No inch wide cracks, for sure!
                              RYS transformed to look like OYS, with NYS amenities and comforts would have been the ideal choice. I'd probably would have much preferred that, but it didn't happen. Like I've said a thousand times here, OYS was my favorite- that aesthetically NYS doesn't quite measure up to it, but NYS is leaps and bounds a more beautiful stadium than RYS. There is no comparison. RYS was an atrocity and people should be more up in arms over what they did to OYS than NYS.

But given the alternative and political climate of the time, as you've said many times in this forum, we were much better off with RYS than some ballpark in another state.

Comment

• I compare the stadium debate to the American car. The ones that were made way back when, back when American ingenuity trumped cost-cutting, you had cars that are really treasures today. Cars like the 1967 Chevelle or the 1955 Bel-Air are just classics, and everything about them is respected. They are so valuable because of the beauty and the craftsmanship/high quality parts put into it.

Cars nowadays have waaaay more amenities. Heated steering wheels, tons of airbags, high quality leather, etc. But why is it that these cars aren't considered classic? Well first off all, the exteriors (as classy as we might think they look) are made from some cheap metal composite. If your 2009 Trailblazer crashes into a Bel-Air, I think I know which car is going to be mangled the most. And not to mention, these cars are built without any soul. There's no way any of these cars are going to be running properly 50 years from now, yet even the most poorly maintained 1950's Chevys are still running just fine down in Cuba.

It's Edison concrete vs. Chinese ACME cement. It's having a car without something so simple as backseat seatbelts vs. a car with TV's in the headrests.

So by my own logic, I have to believe that these newer cars are just cheap imitations of those from the glory days. I'm not going to go say that everything about NYS is crap, but a lot of it will never be as good as the original - no matter how hard they tried to replicated it. And in some ways, the Yankees couldn't do certain aspects of it even if they wanted to, due to legal restrictions (i.e. wide aisles, lots of handicapped seats, handrails). But the reality is, this stadium will never be close to RYS, ever. The fans' energy is the only thing that carried over from the old house. I don't think this stadium is a 'fail' like Maxlugar might suggest, and I don't think it is a fake stadium. But since it tried to replicate a timeless landmark and didn't, I will say that this is indeed Fake-e Stadium
                                Last edited by RationalNYYfan; 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X