• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RichieA13 View Post
    Thanks, Max ..... Glad you like it!

FAKE-EE STADIUM
    "The House That Greed Built"
    All stadiums through out the years, well most, were built with profits in mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Korean View Post
      All stadiums through out the years, well most, were built with profits in mind.

Good point, TK.

But you have to admit that THIS one takes the cake, Korean!
      THIRTY BUCKS to park your car for the ALCS & World Series?
      Fifteen dollar cheesesteak sandwiches?
      Eight hundred dollar box seats?
      Twenty Five hundred dollar front row seats?
      That's GREED, my friend!

All done at the expense of one of the greatest home field advantages ANY team has probably EVER had.
      Screw tradition, screw history ...... all tossed away in the name of greed.
      There's no defending it.
      ------------------------------------------
      www.CollectibleStadiumSeats.com
      www.YankeeStadiumSeats.com
      www.SheaStadiumSeats.com

------------------------------------------

Comment

Good point, TK.

That's GREED, my friend!

All done at the expense of one of the greatest home field advantages ANY team has probably EVER had.
        There's no defending it.
        The Yankees just cut out the middle man when it comes to pricing.

If you were a tenured season ticket holder at RYS, and had great field box seats, the prices that the Yankees are commanding from the box office could have been gotten by you on the secondary market. If Joe Fan is making this money, why cant' we? (There was a good e s p n magazine article link posted here some time ago --- I recommend it.)

The dad of a college buddy of mine had a box at RYS from 1979 to 1995.. Box 69E. We'd cut class and go all the time. He had to give them up in 1996 because that is when they became "Championship Seats" (They went from something like $25 to $50 in one season) and he could no longer shell out the big money required to keep them.. and he tried, and asked everyone he knew who he thought would be interest in a share... nobody wanted them in 1996. Had he kept them through the late 90's run, he could have made a KILLING. Little did anyone know.....

The Yanks charge what they can get, because they know SOMEONE will pay. Maybe not a rational person, but some person. His money is as good as a sane persons money. I see people spending plenty of $$$ on $10 Buds.

Professional Sport Teams subscribe to the Greater Fool Theory... that if you don't give them your money, there is some fool behind you waiting in line to spend.

Cheers!
        -Doug
        20-Game Saturday Plan, Prom Box 423.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
          If I had my wish, I'd like to see them first remove everything that didn't exist in OYS. I'd like to see the hideous oval concrete escalator pods go first. Then, the upper exterior, including the lights, all that never belonged on the original, including the atrocious spidery columns on the exterior of the upper deck. Then they can remove the fake frieze behind the bleachers that was only served as a reminder of what Yankee Stadium once was.

Once all of this removed, and the original structure remains in all her sadness--sans Gate 4 that they destroyed during the renovation--then it will hit me like a ton of bricks.

We must save Gate 2.
          Completely agree. I always argued that the demolition should first be a "de-renovation", and undo the 70's reno, and leave her alone for a while to see the original structure one last time. And those letters made it from OYS to RYS. How they aren't put across the street on the new one is absolutely criminal. Those letters have been with the Yankees longer than Steinbrenner.

I am a Met fan who really has generally no use for the Yankees, (I admit it!) but I spent many nights in YS in the late 70's, growing up in Yonkers with my Yankee fan friends. Those knishes, and underage beer were great!! I love baseball, and Yankee history is undeniable. I never understood how Yankee fans haven't gone to the pitchforks and torches about tearing Yankee Stadium down.

They are really going to do it. (think Charlton Heston on the beach at the end of Planet of the Apes; G*ddamn you all to hell!!)

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
            NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Perhaps you can take consolation in that they weren't original anyways...
              Camden Pike

Comment

Good point, TK.

That's GREED, my friend!

There's no defending it.
                So? Every team does it. Its not like Yankees are the only one. Welcome to the modern era of sports, where profits come above everything else. Besides this is how Yankees can get money to spend on the team without losing money themselves.

Theres a reason why teams charging only 200 bucks for a front seats dont spend much money.

Yankees Stadium was built to make this team more profitable, and keep them here for the future. Would the old stadium been satisfactory for few more years? Sure. Would it have been in next 20 years? No. The answer is no.

Comment

• Here's a photo I took Thursday night... the old girl as seen from Jerome Avenue and Ogden Avenue, a seldom seen angle...

I only took nine photos of the old stadium, nothing earth-shattering... if I had know they were going to start taking the letters down yesterday, I would have gotten some final shots Thursday night, but what can you do... anyway, the rest of my photos can be found here...
                  X
                  What's THAT guy doing?
                  - one of the YES Network broadcasters, after the camera cut to me doing the thumbs-down after Todd Frazier's home run

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoboda4 View Post
                    Completely agree. I always argued that the demolition should first be a "de-renovation", and undo the 70's reno, and leave her alone for a while to see the original structure one last time. And those letters made it from OYS to RYS. How they aren't put across the street on the new one is absolutely criminal. Those letters have been with the Yankees longer than Steinbrenner.

I am a Met fan who really has generally no use for the Yankees, (I admit it!) but I spent many nights in YS in the late 70's, growing up in Yonkers with my Yankee fan friends. Those knishes, and underage beer were great!! I love baseball, and Yankee history is undeniable. I never understood how Yankee fans haven't gone to the pitchforks and torches about tearing Yankee Stadium down.

They are really going to do it. (think Charlton Heston on the beach at the end of Planet of the Apes; G*ddamn you all to hell!!)
                    We fans were powerless throughout this entire process. Remember, they told us we were getting a new stadium that was going to be a throwback to the old one. That was an exciting concept and made this change palatable, one chance in a lifetime to get back what we really want. But that chance is gone and it's heartbreaking. The new stadium is NOTHING like the old one, the damage is done and can't be fixed. The only thing a profoundly disappointed fan like me can do is withdraw my economic support, and I have. We watch on TV, and what's really cool about this new building is now, even during the world series, we can hear the first base coach talk to the runners. If it gets any quieter, we'll be able to hear a pitcher/catcher conference at the mound when they change signs so we'll always know what pitches are coming. And also, telling us what was going to be built wasn't the only lie. They originally presented a plan that would save the stadium's footprint and large portions of the lower grandstand including the dugouts. Well, low and behold, after they get the project approved, that plan just disappears and we're told the plan is to save nothing. The old stadium was an important link, renovated or not, in the Yankee chain of history. It's going to be rubble very soon and that is a crime against baseball, perpetrated by people who help run baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
                      Here's a photo I took Thursday night... the old girl as seen from Jerome Avenue and Ogden Avenue, a seldom seen angle...

I only took nine photos of the old stadium, nothing earth-shattering... if I had know they were going to start taking the letters down yesterday, I would have gotten some final shots Thursday night, but what can you do... anyway, the rest of my photos can be found here...
                      WOW!! Such erie photos. It is so sad for sure. My dad (Yankees fan) and I (White Sox fan) took a trip to see my Sox and his Yankees play last September. So at least I got to see it. I remember when Comiskey Park was torn down:hissyfit::hissyfit: and then some. Another sad ending to another great ballpark.
                      sigpic
                      I have had the pleasure of watching games at: Comiskey Park, Comiskey Park II, Wrigley Field, Jacobs Field, Municipal Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Miller Park, Yankee Stadium (The one and only), and Fenway Park.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
                        If it gets any quieter, we'll be able to hear . . . ..
                        Farting in the dugouts!
                        RYS to NYS: "Obi-Lonn never told you what happened to your father."

NYS: "He told me enough. He told me you killed him - in the 1970s!!"

RYS: "No, I am your father..."

NYS: "No, it's not true, that's impossible!!!!"

RYS: "Look beyond my respirator pods and my upper crown; you know it to be true!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1983whitesox View Post
                          WOW!! Such erie photos. It is so sad for sure. My dad (Yankees fan) and I (White Sox fan) took a trip to see my Sox and his Yankees play last September. So at least I got to see it. I remember when Comiskey Park was torn down:hissyfit::hissyfit: and then some. Another sad ending to another great ballpark.
                          Id be too afraid to walk around that neighborhood alone at night with no games or anything going on. I commend you Gary.
                          www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeDOYS View Post
                            Id be too afraid to walk around that neighborhood alone at night with no games or anything going on. I commend you Gary.
                            Only they played on the 29th? I still commend Gary. I always commend Gary.

By the way, I don't think the neighborhood is as bad as people think or make it out to be. The actual area around NYs is actually pretty and there's some great architecture and tree-lined streets surrounding it. Not Central Park West but not South Central, LA either, teaming with Crypts and Bloods. Certainly more appealing than Willets Point.

Comment

• Gary delivers.
                              Last edited by ChineseDemocracy; 10-31-2009, 11:41 AM. Reason: .
                              No one can make you
                              Do what they want to
                              You know you're stronger
                              Than the lies
                              That they tell you

Comment

• LMAO...the CRIPS. Freudian slip???

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X