Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rob R View Post
    Only they played on the 29th? I still commend Gary. I always commend Gary.

By the way, I don't think the neighborhood is as bad as people think or make it out to be. The actual area around NYs is actually pretty and there's some great architecture and tree-lined streets surrounding it. Not Central Park West but not South Central, LA either, teaming with Crypts and Bloods. Certainly more appealing than Willets Point.
    Seriously I live a few blocks away from Yankee Stadium, the neighborhood isn't as bad as everybody thinks it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by stadiumbuilder View Post
      We fans were powerless throughout this entire process. Remember, they told us we were getting a new stadium that was going to be a throwback to the old one. That was an exciting concept and made this change palatable, one chance in a lifetime to get back what we really want. But that chance is gone and it's heartbreaking. The new stadium is NOTHING like the old one, the damage is done and can't be fixed. The only thing a profoundly disappointed fan like me can do is withdraw my economic support, and I have. We watch on TV, and what's really cool about this new building is now, even during the world series, we can hear the first base coach talk to the runners. If it gets any quieter, we'll be able to hear a pitcher/catcher conference at the mound when they change signs so we'll always know what pitches are coming. And also, telling us what was going to be built wasn't the only lie. They originally presented a plan that would save the stadium's footprint and large portions of the lower grandstand including the dugouts. Well, low and behold, after they get the project approved, that plan just disappears and we're told the plan is to save nothing. The old stadium was an important link, renovated or not, in the Yankee chain of history. It's going to be rubble very soon and that is a crime against baseball, perpetrated by people who help run baseball.
      You're right. The Yankees succeeded in getting the talking point out early that this stadium was a replica of the old one, and a lot of people have bought into it, even though their eyes should tell them this stadium is nothing like the original. The Bronx Democratic pols, who should've been looking out for the interests of their constituents, were either steamrolled or hoodwinked by the corporate elites who dominate New York City government. Fakee Stadium is a failure and the Yankees have permanently alienated large segments of their fanbase and this will be magnified in the coming years.

Comment

• Renovated Yankee Stadium was just that, renovated. Not rebuilt, refurbished or remodeled. I admit that the frieze, scoreboard and bleachers are history, but behind the outer wall remains Yankee Stadium. Remove what was added during the renovation and it should be recognizable. It may look like the Colosseum in Rome, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime62 View Post
          Perhaps you can take consolation in that they weren't original anyways...
          Are you talking about the letters? Those have been on the Stadium since the late 1950's. See the attached blueprint below.

Now, if you mean they weren't original to the Stadium from the 1029's, then no. But, if you're referring to their being original to Yankee Stadium before the renovation, then yes, they are.

Truly a heartbreaking thing to see. I commend Reggie on how much of the Stadium will find a new home.

Gate 2 would be the perfect thing to keep in the Bronx, however.

Richard
          www.savetheyankeegate2.com
          Attached Files

Comment

• Numbers 41, 42 and 43 on that blueprint. There began the ruination of Yankee Stadium. It was only the start of the atrocity.

Comment

• I'm not sure if this is really related to Yankee Stadium Demo, Per Se ... but I was messing around with Microsoft Bing Maps 3D Birds Eye Viewer, and am able to go all around RYS with this feature and thought it was really cool ... attached is a screen shot. **Note: Requires Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later to work**
              Attached Files
              27 Time WORLD CHAMPIONS!

sigpic

Comment

• google earth is better. i cant waite till they update it for yankee stadium and citi field. they already have an extreamly detailed verson of cowboys stadium

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                  You're right. The Yankees succeeded in getting the talking point out early that this stadium was a replica of the old one, and a lot of people have bought into it, even though their eyes should tell them this stadium is nothing like the original. The Bronx Democratic pols, who should've been looking out for the interests of their constituents, were either steamrolled or hoodwinked by the corporate elites who dominate New York City government. Fakee Stadium is a failure and the Yankees have permanently alienated large segments of their fanbase and this will be magnified in the coming years.
                  What a joke. Yankees alienated just you, probably.

Comment

• The "YANKEE STADIUM" lettering is coming down as we speak...

Comment

• Originally posted by scooterfan View Post
                      So you're telling me that even with the team playing as well as they are right now, and being where they are right now, that you're going to let the stadium stop you from supporting them? I'm sorry, I loved the old place too, but I'm learning to love the new one, especially with the history that is developing there now, and to let something as silly as that get in the way of supporting your team, you must not have been that big a fan to begin with.

Comment

• ^^^^^^agreed

Comment

• Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
                          So you're telling me that even with the team playing as well as they are right now, and being where they are right now, that you're going to let the stadium stop you from supporting them? I'm sorry, I loved the old place too, but I'm learning to love the new one, especially with the history that is developing there now, and to let something as silly as that get in the way of supporting your team, you must not have been that big a fan to begin with.
                          excellent post

Comment

I feel the same way Mike Francesa feels about the Yankees. Indifference. Although Mike could care less what stadium the Yankees play in, deep down he could care less whether the team wins or loses. In the mid to late 90s Mike rooted and rooted hard for the Yankees, after pretty much ignoring them for the first few years of the Mike and the Mad Dog program, but now he's indifferent at best. He still plays the part most of the time because he's a major contributor to YES but he's said as much that if the Yankees lose he isn't going to lose any sleep over it. He feels the payroll disparity diminishes the accomplishment of the success the Yankees have and I agree with him, and this has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion of the new stadium.

Comment

Darn near everyone that has read his tripe has come to the same conclusion, he's a 'never was' Yankee fan.
                              :gt:gt

Comment

• The people who play, work or cheer at a park is what makes a stadium special. If Yankee Stadium had been built in 1923 for the sake of building a structure to look at, would it have been as revered as it is today? Honor the past, keep tradition going and create new memories.

BTW- does anyone have any shots of the "YANKEE STADIUM" sign coming down?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X