Yankee Stadium [I] Demolition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Astros View Post
    The people who play, work or cheer at a park is what makes a stadium special. If Yankee Stadium had been built in 1923 for the sake of building a structure to look at, would it have been as revered as it is today? Honor the past, keep tradition going and create new memories.

BTW- does anyone have any shots of the "YANKEE STADIUM" sign coming down?
    there's one at demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Astros View Post
      BTW- does anyone have any shots of the "YANKEE STADIUM" sign coming down?
      Tom Kaminski has a new set up:

http://www.wcbs880.com/-YANK-ed-from...0-2009/5562386

Comment

• Originally posted by Aviator_Frank View Post
        Anyone know how large the letters are? 15-20 feet maybe?
        sigpic

Comment

• Carpe DIUM - let's go Yankees

Comment

• I prefer the new dium. The old dium was a dump.
            Vintage Photos of Detroit Ballparks:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctor_gogol/sets/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattingly85MVP View Post
              Anyone know how large the letters are? 15-20 feet maybe?
              I doubt if they're any more than 8 feet tall. The width of the concourse they're laying on can't be more than 20 feet wide.
              Last edited by jnakamura; 11-03-2009, 10:02 AM.
              I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game.
              - Walt Whitman

Comment

• At least they didn't leave some of the letters up like at Shea . We wouldn't want the old park to fall on its KEE STA

Comment

At least they didn't leave some of the letters up like at Shea . We wouldn't want the old park to fall on its KEE STA
                  i still never understood that as to why they kept up "ADIUM" on Shea. you couldve easily pulled those down and sold em for good money

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                    i still never understood that as to why they kept up "ADIUM" on Shea. you couldve easily pulled those down and sold em for good money
                    When have the "Mets" ever done anything that made sense? They are the perfect example of how not to run a franchise, in every aspect of the word.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jnakamura View Post
                      I doubt if they're any more than 8 feet tall. The width of the concourse they're laying on can't be more than 20 feet wide.
                      I don't know about that. When you look at the worker taking down one of the E's, he's much smaller than said letter. It's about twice his height.

Even if he's around 5 feet tall, that's still ten feet.

Richard

Comment

At least they didn't leave some of the letters up like at Shea . We wouldn't want the old park to fall on its KEE STA
                        They did. I passed the Stadium on Sunday and it still says "ADIUM", three days after the pictures above...
                        StadiumPage.com
                        Stadium Google Map

Comment

• Originally posted by yankies4life View Post
                          I think it was because they sold the "SHEA" and the "S". They really didn't need to take down the "TADIUM" just yet. Besides, I don't think the building that is being prepped for demolition should be scrutinized for not looking up to par. But oh well, the Yankees are even better than the Mets in demolishing stadiums.

Comment

• I had no idea those letters were once a part of OYS...did they light up blue back then too?

Also, does anyone know what are they made of? Is that some sort of stained blue glass to let the background light through?
                            www.demolitionofyankeestadium.com

Comment

• I don't know if they lit up in blue back then, I know there's a picture on the Pre-Renovation thread that shows them in red--quite the striking sight.

There's also a picture of Yankee Stadium, Post-Renovation, that shows the lights illuminated in white. I have nothing to confirm that they were ever white either.

They are, however, original to the (if I remember correctly) 1957 addition of the Longines clock over Gate 4.

Richard

Comment

• The top of the escalator pod looks funny.
                                No one can make you
                                Do what they want to
                                You know you're stronger
                                Than the lies
                                That they tell you

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X